Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Side Gusset Options

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Is there a way to remove the side gussets and leather lace? Not a big fan of the look.

Attachments

• IMG_5114.png
    IMG_5114.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 92

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Is there a way to remove the side gussets and leather lace? Not a big fan of the look.
Get a good tailor or seamstress to have a look, they will offer advice. I’m getting the gussets removed from an aero aeromarine by an experienced seamstress/ dressmaker and it should make a good difference to the fit.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Get a good tailor or seamstress to have a look, they will offer advice. I’m getting the gussets removed from an aero aeromarine by an experienced seamstress/ dressmaker and it should make a good difference to the fit.
Hi. Thank You for your help. So I am not the only person who don’t like that Look.
It’s a Schott Style 525 Chips Highway Jacket. I will look into what you suggest.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
just replace the lace with elastic lace for sneakers buy the stopper too, and cut off the rest of the laces, so it will always looking neat and not sagging, but can expand when needed.
Thank You. So Helpful. I found them on Amazon. I bought two types to see which one I like better. Cheap Fix. No more hanging laces.

Last edited:

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
One one side lace jacket that I had, I bought some black baseball glove rawhide that was a little different shape and stiffer than what was on there. I used a ball glove style knot and cut the ends short. Somehow it really changed the look from what I thought was kind of 80’s dated to a more classic rugged look.

On a Schott that I sold, it fit pretty well without any laces at all and they eyelets had patina’d enough so they didn’t really stand out or look naked without any lace in them. Kind of like some motorcycle Jackets that have belt loops and no belt. For some reason it doesn’t look strange.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
One one side lace jacket that I had, I bought some black baseball glove rawhide that was a little different shape and stiffer than what was on there. I used a ball glove style knot and cut the ends short. Somehow it really changed the look from what I thought was kind of 80’s dated to a more classic rugged look.

On a Schott that I sold, it fit pretty well without any laces at all and they eyelets had patina’d enough so they didn’t really stand out or look naked without any lace in them. Kind of like some motorcycle Jackets that have belt loops and no belt. For some reason it doesn’t look strange.
Hi,
Thank You for sharing what other options I have. All are Great. I though I was not the only person that love the Jacket because it did not have that hanging belt but had to do something to improve the look of the Leather Hanging Laces.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I also use those silicon rubber lace on the side gussets. They‘re quite sturdy, expand and contracts, and stays in place. However your jacket has those wedges panels I’m not sure if it works the same. Doesn’t hurt to try, these rubber laces aren’t expensive.
IMG_5961.jpeg

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Hi.
I also use those silicon rubber lace on the side gussets. They‘re quite sturdy, expand and contracts, and stays in place. However your jacket has those wedges panels I’m not sure if it works the same. Doesn’t hurt to try, these rubber laces aren’t expensive.
View attachment 519178
Hi. First I love your jacket! Who Makes it.
I knew I was not the only person who did not like the Leather Laces, and then dropping down. I ordered from Amazon these. I send a picture when I finish installing them. You been very helpful and nice.

Attachments

• IMG_5120.png
    IMG_5120.png
    873.3 KB · Views: 52

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner