Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Weights

Seawolf

Familiar Face
My Aero Long Halfbelt in FQHH size 40 weighs 8.5 lbs. Holy crap! It has leather lined cuffs and a leather panel along the bottom.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Great idea for a thread. According to my bathroom scale:

G-1, size 42 - 3.4 lbs.
Wilson's "A2" with Thinsulate lining, size M - 5.4 lbs.

And for fun:

WWII Peacoat, size 38 - 4.4 lbs.
London Fog wool overcoat (knee-length), size 38 - 3 lbs.

Ironically, then, the longest coat is the lightest (although not too surprising).

Last edited:

ando.thun

New in Town
Just put some of my jackets on a scale:

The HH Highwayman actually stood on the scale...

Aero Highwayman Heavy FQ Horse 2510g
(Size 42, + 1 inch lenght, gabardine lining, two additional G-style pockets and no cuffs)

Aero Highwayman Steerhide 1330g
(Size 42, Tartan lining)
It was a bargain from the Aero Homepage, as it has been made by an apprentice and I presume that it is made from mid-weight Steerhide.

To compare the weight I also put a cotton Jacket on the scale:
Woolrich Woolen Mills Ranger Jacket 710g (Size L)

I agree with Peacoat that as soon as you wear those jackets the weight isn't a problem
But I have to add that I weight more than 90kg and often carry a rucksack with more than 40kg.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just put some of my jackets on a scale:

The HH Highwayman actually stood on the scale...

Aero Highwayman Heavy FQ Horse 2510g
(Size 42, + 1 inch lenght, gabardine lining, two additional G-style pockets and no cuffs)

Aero Highwayman Steerhide 1330g
(Size 42, Tartan lining)
It was a bargain from the Aero Homepage, as it has been made by an apprentice and I presume that it is made from mid-weight Steerhide.

To compare the weight I also put a cotton Jacket on the scale:
Woolrich Ranger Jacket 710g (Size L)

I agree with Peacoat that as soon as you wear those jackets the weight isn't a problem
But I have to add that I weight more than 90kg and often carry a rucksack with more than 40kg.

Cool information. I weigh about the same and stand close to six feet two and am strong and carry 40 to 60 kgs in a pack. I still dislike heavy jackets. They feel cumbersome and uncomfortable when I wear them.

Last edited:

JLStorm

Practically Family
So, do you notice the weight of the 12 pounds while you are wearing it? My heaviest jacket is my Vanson at 7 1/2 pounds. I don't notice the weight while wearing it, but it is a noticeably heavy jacket when I pick it up.

Its funny. I have a B3/ANJ4 cross from aero that is 100% overlaid in horsehide and weighs in only 1.5 - 2 pounds lighter than the steer hide. It feels extremely heavy when I pick it up, but feels like a warm soft blanket when I wear it. Its like wearing a really thick sweatshirt and I don't notice it at all. My steerhide on the other hand actually makes my traps and shoulders slightly tired after wearing it for a while. I don't think its the weight, I think its the additional stiffness that makes the jacket press down more on my shoulders when I move around.

I don't mind it, I like it actually for some weird reason, but I definitely have to be in the mood. It definitely takes some work to wear in long durations. As a side note, I just asked Aero if they could make me an M442 in their extra heavy steer and Amanda replied with a solid no stating "don't even think about it" lol. It must be too much for their sewing machines to handle in some of the layering pieces. As I know she has mentioned difficulty with that in past jackets.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Vintage Jacket Weights

I keep reading on here about these eight pound, stand up on their own, horsehide jackets. I recently bought a '70s Columbia style jacket which clocked in at 6lb 8oz, and was amazed at how unlike any other vintage jacket I've seen that weight is, and yet how light it seems in comparison with some of the weights I've seem posted here.

Admittedly, I have very little experience with the modern reproductions, but I do have a fair bit of experience with original '30s-'60s leather jackets. I thought I'd pull out my scale, and look through a bit of my archives, to see what a sampling of originals weigh in at.

All weights taken post-conditioning. Allow for the possibility of several oz. lost weight due to age.

Size 40 1930s horsehide Halfbelt (brand label missing): 3lb 7oz
Size 38 1930s Monarch colthide halfbelt: 3lb 8oz
Size 36 1930s capeskin halfbelt: 3lb 5oz
Size 40 1970s USN cowhide G-1: 3lb 10oz
Size 36 1940s "Pal-O-Mine" utility jacket: 3lb 1 oz
Size 40 1950s horsehide "Harold's" bomber jacket: 3lb 7oz
Size 38 1960s British Cycle Leathers D-Pocket: 3lb 6oz
Size 36 1950s British Mfg. Co D-Pocket: 3lb 5oz
Size 40 WWII issue goatskin Colvinex flight jacket: 4lb 9oz
Size 40 1960s WB Placer deerskin jacket: 3lb 4oz
Size 38 1960s Canadian A-1 style hockey jacket: 3lb 10 oz

Size 40 c.1946 German double breasted peacoat: 4lb 5oz
Size 44 Italian police double breasted coat: 5lb 3oz
Size 36 Belgian army double breasted coat: 5lb 15oz

Last edited:

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Great idea for an informative thread.

All of my leather jackets were custom made for me and in a suit coat I wear a 41R.

My Johnson Leathers jacket made of 3.75 oz. Horween Chromexcel cowhide with a heavy-duty satin lining is based off of their M-200 design in a 42 and sized down accordingly. Weight: 6.6 lb / 3.0 kg

My Johnson Leathers half-belt jacket made of 3.0 oz. Horween Chromexcel front quarter horsehide with a merino wool lining is based off of their M-200L design in a 40 and sized up accordingly. Weight: 5.2 lb / 2.35 kg

My Langlitz Leathers cafe racer jacket made of their "medium-weight" cowhide with a satin lining is like a shortened version of their Crescent design (no size indicated). Weight: 5.5 lb / 2.5 kg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I keep reading on here about these eight pound, stand up on their own, horsehide jackets. I recently bought a '70s Columbia style jacket which clocked in at 6lb 8oz, and was amazed at how unlike any other vintage jacket I've seen that weight is, and yet how light it seems in comparison with some of the weights I've seem posted here.

Admittedly, I have very little experience with the modern reproductions, but I do have a fair bit of experience with original '30s-'60s leather jackets. I thought I'd pull out my scale, and look through a bit of my archives, to see what a sampling of originals weigh in at.

All weights taken post-conditioning. Allow for the possibility of several oz. lost weight due to age.

Size 40 1930s horsehide Halfbelt (brand label missing): 3lb 7oz
Size 38 1930s Monarch colthide halfbelt: 3lb 8oz
Size 36 1930s capeskin halfbelt: 3lb 5oz
Size 40 1970s USN cowhide G-1: 3lb 10oz
Size 36 1940s "Pal-O-Mine" utility jacket: 3lb 1 oz
Size 40 1950s horsehide "Harold's" bomber jacket: 3lb 7oz
Size 38 1960s British Cycle Leathers D-Pocket: 3lb 6oz
Size 36 1950s British Mfg. Co D-Pocket: 3lb 5oz
Size 40 WWII issue goatskin Colvinex flight jacket: 4lb 9oz
Size 40 1960s WB Placer deerskin jacket: 3lb 4oz
Size 38 1960s Canadian A-1 style hockey jacket: 3lb 10 oz

Size 40 c.1946 German double breasted peacoat: 4lb 5oz
Size 44 Italian police double breasted coat: 5lb 3oz
Size 36 Belgian army double breasted coat: 5lb 15oz

That's fascinating. I'm sure the HH used in years back was often 2.5oz not the 3 or more we often see today.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes