Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Weights

acl1

Familiar Face
Hi guys,
I thought a good resource for other members and myself to post the weights of their leather jackets, as a reference when ordering a jacket. I'd be really interested in jackets made from Langlitz medium and heavy weight cow.

To start off, my size 36 Lost Worlds 3.0 oz FQHH bomber weighs just under four lbs.

Dav

One Too Many
If I remember correctly my size 40 Aero Steerhide Cheyenne weighs in at around 4kg/9lb perhaps a little more and a size 42 FQHH Highwayman at around 3kg/6lb. Not totally accurate as I don't have anything to weigh them on but the Cheyenne did weigh 5kg+ including box when I had to return it for repair last year.

Radu

Familiar Face
My 36 AERO heavy steerhide HWM weighs 3.5 kg and before I had a 38 AERO FQHH HWM which weighs 2.5 kg

D

Deleted member 16736

My Highwayman weighs too much. Either leather weighs too much or too little. I'm waiting for some leather maker to source 3.75 oz. leather like Beck back in the good old days. I'll keep holding my breath.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Too heavy

Good idea, I keep asking what jackets weigh.

I don't wear leather jackets which weigh more than 4 pounds. Would love to find a Horsehide jacket that weighed 4 pounds, but I don't think it's possible.

Radu

Familiar Face
Good idea, I keep asking what jackets weigh.

I don't wear leather jackets which weigh more than 4 pounds. Would love to find a Horsehide jacket that weighed 4 pounds, but I don't think it's possible.

I had a Levis made by Aero halfbelt HH which weighed 1.7kg . Was more like a summer jacket while the heavy HH and steerhide is more for cold weather. So, it is possible to find a HH jacket under 4 pounds .

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?51282-Levi-s-Halfbelt-by-AERO&highlight=

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Interesting... I've never weighed any of mine... tbh, I don't think it has ever even occurred to me. I prefer to go by feel, myself, rather than some mythical "perfect" spec, but I suppose that's difficult when it comes to buying by mail or custom-built.

D

Deleted member 16736

I think there's a happy medium between heft and wearability. For me, that medium is around 3.5-4 oz. Anything more is too much and anything less (unless in an A-2 or a summer weight jacket) is too little. I just had this discussion with a jacket maker, actually. But I'm no expert either, so what do I know?

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
I have a 60's Black & Gold label Brooks Brothers motorcycle jacket that weighs a ton!?
NOT your usual Brando-style, more like a leather western jean jacket, except with Talon sleeve zippers.

Steve

pak

One of the Regulars
My older 44R Cooper A2 goatskin weighs 2.5lbs, my US Wings signature 42R A2 HH weighs 4.5lbs.

JLStorm

Practically Family
as far as heavy weight steer (I know its not langlitz) but it varies. I ordered a custom jacket similar to a halfbelt with a little extra length in extra heavy steerhide Aero was able to find some extremely heavy steer and its just over 12lbs. You can always go the other way and ask whomever your ordering through to look for something on the lighter side since skins varies.

Peacoat

Bartender
as far as heavy weight steer (I know its not langlitz) but it varies. I ordered a custom jacket similar to a halfbelt with a little extra length in extra heavy steerhide Aero was able to find some extremely heavy steer and its just over 12lbs. You can always go the other way and ask whomever your ordering through to look for something on the lighter side since skins varies.

So, do you notice the weight of the 12 pounds while you are wearing it? My heaviest jacket is my Vanson at 7 1/2 pounds. I don't notice the weight while wearing it, but it is a noticeably heavy jacket when I pick it up.

So, do you notice the weight of the 12 pounds while you are wearing it? My heaviest jacket is my Vanson at 7 1/2 pounds. I don't notice the weight while wearing it, but it is a noticeably heavy jacket when I pick it up.

Peacoat..
That is what still amazes me to this day. When I pick up my Enfield..it's quite hefty..until I put it on.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav