Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets

Brooksie

One Too Many
When did women start wearing leather jackets?

I have a couple of vintage leather jackets, one is black and belted and sits just above the bottom at about mid tail bone. I got this one from my favorite thrift store and the lady that runs the shop said she thought it was probably form the 1950's but I told her it looked to maybe be from the very early 1960's it does not have a wide collar so that kind of rules out the 70's. The lable in it is very old looking and it says Charly's Leathers - Portland & Eugene.

The other one I would say is from the late 60's, it is a chocolate brown in color and I got it for $3.99 at another thrift store. It is belted also and slightly longer about mid. bottom and the collar is only slightly wider but not too wide like the 70's.

If anyone has any info at all on leather jacket stlyes through out history I would appreciate it.

Back to leather jackets in the 1950's, they were out there but I do not think a lot of women wore them-when I think of leather jackets in the 50's I think of the movie "Grease".

Brooksie

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
I have seen examples in reproduction Sear's catalogues from the 20's (usually belted) but I'm not sure if there would have been any 'workwear' jackets produced for use during WWI or possibly 'car coats' from 1900 onwards. Anything is possible though!

Brooksie

One Too Many
I would love to see what one of these belted leather jackets look like from the 1920's (maybe I was way off on my guess in how old my jackets are).

Also in the Vanity Fair (March issue the one with the film noir photo shoot) Helen Mirrin has a brown leather jacket on that looks like the one I own (the collar on it is the same and it is also brown leather but I can only see part of the jacket because she is sitting in a car).

Brooksie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart