Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Motorcycle jacket recommendations

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I was just reading through this as it is possibly applicable to me in the near future, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Does anyone know of a place I can buy a brown leather jacket (of decent quality) with pockets for armor? I am thinking something asymmetrical, along the lines of the aero bootlegger. As for the price point, as cheap as possible really. I don't want to be stingy about safety gear though. Probably around the same budget as would get me something from Fox Creek.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

Probably need to check carefully regarding sizing if ordering G&B since my experience is that almost everything that I have tried on from G&B is that their jackets tend to run about one size larger than labeled. Top notch jackets though, and G&B stands behind their products with outstanding warranty.

Peacoat

Bartender
I was just reading through this as it is possibly applicable to me in the near future, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Does anyone know of a place I can buy a brown leather jacket (of decent quality) with pockets for armor? I am thinking something asymmetrical, along the lines of the aero bootlegger. As for the price point, as cheap as possible really. I don't want to be stingy about safety gear though. Probably around the same budget as would get me something from Fox Creek.

You probably know this already, but Fox Creek has pockets for armor, as well as the armor. I can't remember the numerical designation, but I believe it is the highest rating currently available.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
You probably know this already, but Fox Creek has pockets for armor, as well as the armor. I can't remember the numerical designation, but I believe it is the highest rating currently available.

I really like Fox Creek. They have patterns I like with the specs I require and all at a price point I can live with. However, they only come in black. I would not be objected to a black jacket, but I would really prefer brown if I can find it somewhere.

jksu

Familiar Face
try contacting fox creek. i think they used to offer brown for a small up charge.

i love my fox creek grayson with pockets for armor - i put in the hitec sas-tec armor. super light and comfortable.

i also have a dainese stripes - i have the black version but i'm pretty sure it also came in coffee. more of a suede type leather but cool looking and definitely comfy proprietary dainese armor.

otherwise vanson or johnson's custom...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I just got the email back from Fox Creek. They will make it in brown for an $80 up charge, which is still a better deal than anything else I have looked at. So, I will probably be getting one when I have the funds (also for the bike).

jacketquest

Familiar Face
If you plan to do anything more than casual riding your best choice IMHO is Langlitz. They make jackets for bikers. Most everything else is fashion. I know I will probably get flamed for this but for my 500 mile days I don't go anywhere near leather, it's high tech breathable fabrics with armor. I have a 'stich, Dianese, and Revit. My Langlitz Columbia is ok for the commute to work and back. Been thinking about picking up a Cascade as well but need to see how if i can swing it this year. :(

jksu

Familiar Face
I just got the email back from Fox Creek. They will make it in brown for an $80 up charge, which is still a better deal than anything else I have looked at. So, I will probably be getting one when I have the funds (also for the bike).

awesome! definitely post pics when you get it. curious what their brown looks like.

of all the riding leather jackets i've had, the fox creek is my favorite. super thick yet soft leather. great beefy zippers and fantastic functionality (arm & pit zips, full sleeve liner w/neck gaiter)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
awesome! definitely post pics when you get it. curious what their brown looks like.

of all the riding leather jackets i've had, the fox creek is my favorite. super thick yet soft leather. great beefy zippers and fantastic functionality (arm & pit zips, full sleeve liner w/neck gaiter)

It will be quite a while, since I am rather broke. That said, I finally have a job, so I do have an income to budget this stuff out of.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So its been a while since I originally posted this question. The input has been great, and I appreciate the response. I still have yet to purchase the jacket I inquired about, but have been happy using my 50's halfbelt for riding. I do still plan on purchasing a new black jacket sometime, I'm just not in a hurry. I did not know about Johnson Leathers before I posted here, but seeing the pics others have posted makes me very interested in them.

So, I am considering the Vanson Enfield ($600), the Schott 689($700), or going with Johnson($???). The Schott style is perfect, but I would prefer cowhide or steerhide this time around, my other jackets are horsehide. The Vanson concerns me because of the sizing. I know the folks at Insurrection can help me get a good fit, and I have been in email contact with them already. The other thing that I don't like about the Vanson is the collar. It looks too small. I know that is nit-picking, but aren't many of us on here slight perfectionists? This jacket needs to be functional, but it also needs to look exactly like I want. If it doesn't, I'm not the kind that can just live with it. The Johnson (M-200) also has a small collar, but it looks better in all the pics I've seen. I was wondering if Johnson could build a custom M-200 in 4-4.5oz cowhide for $600-700, or does the custom make the price go way up? I can usually wear stock sizes, but might need the sleeves lengthened a bit, or intentionally lengthen the body an inch or two for better CCW concealment. Johnson customers, please chime in. Thank you!

Silverpoint

New in Town
Seems that Belstaff doesn't get much respect on this site- and I can understand many of the criticisms. However when it comes to their motorcycle range, the arguments against begin to pale. I've owned Schotts, Lost World, Vanson, Aero, Fox and others. But I always ride in my Belstaffs. The design jacket you're looking for however maybe a none starter- Belstaff don't do collars on their bike range.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I'm guessing that Johnson Leathers could produce what you're looking for and the pricing would probably be in line with what you're willing to spend. The only thing I'm not sure about is the 4 - 4.5 oz cowhide (both from a pricing and a functional standpoint). My JL jacket, based on the M-200 design, is constructed from 3.75 oz. hide and it weighs in at 6.5 lbs. It's thicker and heavier than my Langlitz riding jacket and the Langlitz strikes me as plenty thick for its intended purpose. If you're only going to be riding in colder weather, then it might work out okay, otherwise you might find yourself leaving such a thick and heavy jacket at home through most of the summer months. I wear my Langlitz throughout the year and vary how much I layer underneath it depending on the season.

With all of that said, my best advice would be to call Johnson Leathers and talk to them about what you're looking for. Based on my experiences, I don't think you will have any regrets if you were to choose JL to make a jacket for you.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Thanks.

I'm sure I'll at least contact Johnson's before I purchase anything. I do like the idea of being able to customize the jacket. Is it best to call or email, and who would be the best to talk to?

Thanks again.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Alan is the man, but Craig has also been very helpful in the past as well. I started my initial conversation with them via phone, but I've swapped plenty of emails with them as well.

Last edited:

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
I'd also caution about the spread collar. Even if it's held down with snaps it's gonna choke you a bit when your jacket is anywhere near zipped up full.

Honestly, the best most utilitarian riding jacket I own is an old Schott Perfecto. Form and function on that one.

If you want something less 50s looking, Vanson makes fine riding jackets. I own a Vanson Continental Comet in addition to my Perfecto.

Good luck and ride safe!

Peacoat

Bartender
So its been a while since I originally posted this question. The input has been great, and I appreciate the response. I still have yet to purchase the jacket I inquired about, but have been happy using my 50's halfbelt for riding. I do still plan on purchasing a new black jacket sometime, I'm just not in a hurry. I did not know about Johnson Leathers before I posted here, but seeing the pics others have posted makes me very interested in them.

So, I am considering the Vanson Enfield ($600), the Schott 689($700), or going with Johnson($???). The Schott style is perfect, but I would prefer cowhide or steerhide this time around, my other jackets are horsehide. The Vanson concerns me because of the sizing. I know the folks at Insurrection can help me get a good fit, and I have been in email contact with them already. The other thing that I don't like about the Vanson is the collar. It looks too small. I know that is nit-picking, but aren't many of us on here slight perfectionists? This jacket needs to be functional, but it also needs to look exactly like I want. If it doesn't, I'm not the kind that can just live with it. The Johnson (M-200) also has a small collar, but it looks better in all the pics I've seen. I was wondering if Johnson could build a custom M-200 in 4-4.5oz cowhide for $600-700, or does the custom make the price go way up? I can usually wear stock sizes, but might need the sleeves lengthened a bit, or intentionally lengthen the body an inch or two for better CCW concealment. Johnson customers, please chime in. Thank you!

To answer some of your concerns: Collars on MC jackets need to be smaller than normal to preclude movement in the breeze. With a windshield it isn't as much of a problem as with no windshield, but it can still be a concern, especially over the years as the leather softens.

I have a Johnson Leathers M-200 in the "Japanese market cowhide." That is what Alan called it so, that is how I refer to it. It is the leather they use for the jackets they send to Japan. I don't know the thickness, but probably around 4 oz. You don't want a leather any thicker or tougher than this leather. I bought this particular jacket in June. Wore it around the house for a week or so to start the break in process. Got the sleeves loosened up a bit, but that was about it.

In September, after it cooled some, I started wearing it again. Did several rides in it, and wore it in the mornings on the motorcycle while the temps were cool. In fact, I have worn it just about every day since then. I do a lot of slow speed, tight police type course work that requires maximum turning using the arms and shoulders. Probably wore it 20 times while doing course work. I have worn it while doing farm chores, including a bunch of bush hogging on the tractor that requires a lot of movement of the arms and shoulders while turning the steering wheel. It is now comfortable to wear, but it still stands on its own without any coaxing. I think it will stop a low speed bullet, such as a .45. You don't want a tougher leather than this. It has taken much more wear to break in (still not finished) than my Vanson or my Aero. Johnson has one thicker grade above the Japanese market leather, but I wouldn't want to see it, much less have to put it on.

As to custom work, you may not need it. If so, Johnson makes it simple. Alan will send a test jacket and you take it from there. The standard Johnson style ignores the normal American male physique (overweight and out of shape). Their jackets are built on a V model. They are also built without a lot of extra room around the body. So, if one has a good shape, the standard Johnson jacket will accentuate that shape. My chest measures 42" and I normally wear size 42 everything. In one of my Johnson jackets I went up to a size 44. In my Japanese market MC jacket, I went up to a size 46. That gives me enough room for a very thin vest on cool mornings, but is still a trim fit without the vest. I have long arms, and the Johnson Jackets are plenty long in the sleeves for me. If you should need more length in the sleeves, I don't think it would be too much more, as Johnson builds the jackets for the customers as the orders come in. So, they are all custom built in that respect.

Because Johnson supplies police agencies with leather jackets, the company is very good at making concealed pistol pockets for its customers. I sent Alan cardboard templates of two of my pistols I carry while riding. He made a pistol pocket in my jacket that was an excellent fit. Don't know that I would want to carry a model 1911, but my two weapons fit without printing and are comfortable to carry. This service was provided without charge.

The price for the Japanese market leather is a little over $700 for "off the shelf," and goes up for custom work, depending on what you want or need. If you don't have a lot around the mid section and are close to the standard build, a standard size will probably work for you. Or they can add some length to the sleeves or other minor modifications without a problem as their jackets are made to order, based on customer specifications. Alan will be able to tell you after you give him your measurements.

I think I have answered all of your questions. If you have any more, let me know. PC

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Peacoat, that was a fantastic write-up. It appears that we are more or less the same size and configuration, so I will probably will my jackets to you.:D I have heard nothing but good things about Johnson Leather Company and will definitely give them a visit should I ever have the occasion to travel to SF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner