Leather pants

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by jadub, Nov 26, 2020.

1. jadub

jadub Familiar Face

Attached Files:

JustinW likes this.
  2. Monitor

Monitor

There seems to be a lot of Aero's leather jeans being sold in Japan, mostly at a very good price - Problem is sizing. I've noticed that Japanese sold Aero trousers are a lot smaller than their EU/US counterparts. Maybe Aero has been using a different sizing chart for the Japanese market. Not sure.

3. CBI

CBI One Too Many

leather pants? simply.....no ;)

bn1966, HoosierDaddy and ton312 like this.
  4. Monitor

Monitor

While this thread is already here, lemme post a couple of short write-ups on my recent vintage acquirements..

First up, 40's or 50's German made leather (horsehide) riding trousers.

Found these thru local classifieds & they cost me $5. Never imagined I would be this much in love with 'em. Seems to me leather pants used to be a lot more in use throughout Europe than in the US as I've seen similar models often turning up here and there, tho I never saw ones that were this cool.

I've been told by the previous owner that these trousers belonged to his father who wore them on a bike during the 50's. I'm inclined to agree with this dating assessment as the ZIPP hardware and the overall styling would confirm this. It's the incredible condition of the trousers, however, that has me doubt the authenticity of the claim that they're this old but then again, if they were properly stored... Why not?

I was also assured that they are made from horsehide which of course is impossible to prove but the guy I bought 'em from didn't seem to understand this would make a difference... He just mentioned it matter of factly.

That said, leather would be the most noteworthy feature about them. Definitely that European old school tanning that can no longer be seen. Super thick, as you can see on the belt loops, yet incredibly soft. Naked hide, completely natural feel, free of any finish.

Other cool details are that all the pockets are leather lined, even the back pocket & the pants are lined all the way through.

What sucks is that they're kind of short but they don't look bad at all when worn on a pair of boots.

Regardless, these trousers are very easy to wear, have a unique cut & silhouette, being made more like suit pants rather than leather jeans and... What more to add, I just love 'em.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AeroFan_07, Sonero and Michael A like this.
  5. Monitor

Monitor

Next up, Bates leather pants.

First off, huge shout-out to @TheOldFashioned for pointing these out to me. I was somehow the only bidder and ended up paying 50-something USD, shipping included for a pair of essentially brand-freaking-new Bates MC trousers. I don't think they've been worn once!

Anyway, these are full custom work with doubled pockets - two separate zippered pockets in addition to the regular side pockets - and possibly made to measure. Luckily, dude whose name is even embroidered on the Bates label, seems to wear the same size as me.
    They're made in typical Bates heavy brown cowhide that while beautiful and rich in color is a bit too heavy on the finish & are lined throughout with golden polyester liner. Seriously the lining is blindingly golden, just that it looks yellow on the photos but it's a spectacle IRL. Other than that, main zipper is a brass Talon & there are two snap-on pockets on the back.
    Oh, and these Bates brass zipper pulls alone are worth what I paid for these pants!

These pants are 70's af. Flared bottoms, tight at the waist, etc. If you like the look (as much as I do), it seriously doesn't get any cooler than this. I'm sure they were something else even back then and nowadays, definitely a statement piece, even on a chopper.

Needless to add, these pants are built crazy good which of course is something to be expected from Bates. Just super comfortable, same as their jackets.

Dunno what else to add other than how I am really very happy with these!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AeroFan_07, JustinW, Sonero and 7 others like this.
  6. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Nice! Quite a find. They look authentic. Black leather pants are still in style here in Vienna, but the quality is usually quite poor.

Monitor likes this.
  7. Monitor

Monitor

I didn't know that! What style of leather pants do people wear in Vienna? I love leather trousers, just that not many are seen at all where I am (Croatia so near by, actually). Only bikers seems to wear them.

8. Sonero

Sonero Practically Family

I owned the most incredible pair of leather pants in the 90's. A gift from someone that wore them in the 70's. 5 pocket cherry red slim fit with a slight rip in the crotch that was patched up...Super Sexy.

If you guys want a really nice pair of leather pants I recommend LEATHERMAN in NYC. It is an institution for the gay leather scene in NYC. They make the best quality leather pants. I think the Hells Angels even buy from them but don't quote me on that.
    Leather pants need to be purchased one size too small because they will stretch out considerably.

I love how a pair of thick leather pants feel but at 51 yrs old...NO but I do relish my youth. Instead I have been getting off on thick denim. I get the same pleasure from them and no one will whistle at me from their car.....like they used to do when I had those pants in the 90's. I was a rocker with long hair but most guys thought I looked pretty from behind !

Monitor likes this.
  9. Agent Black

Agent Black New in Town

Yeah, rock them Jadub! It's all about confidence, if you want them badly enough you can get it/ fake it. Rural Maine in winter is exactly where you should be wearing them. Start off in the house; in leathers you can turn the heating down...

Monitor likes this.
  10. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

Monitor and Mich486 like this.
  11. pichi1

pichi1 New in Town

JustinW likes this.
  12. de Stokesay

de Stokesay One of the Regulars

I have black leather Skintan brand pants that I wear on highway trips on the bikes, but I also have a pair of lederhosen shorts that I bought in Bavaria a few years ago to wear at Oktoberfest (you can drink more beer in lederhosen), and a grey pair of just-past-the-knee ones that my father bought in Germany back in the 1960s and which he used for curling. I also remember him wearing them with tall socks for cross-country (nordic) skiing when I was a boy. They fit me fine, and I wear them with my Strathcona boots and my Aero 1930’s half-belt jacket when I’m doing a board track racer impression.

Then there are these, but they’re a bit pre-golden age but they’re by far the most comfortable trousers I own. They are handmade brain tanned buckskin, and are soooooo soft. I wear them when I’m doing black powder shooting. The black thing on the left of the picture is the tail of a Siamese cat who opted out of abandoning the bed so a picture could be taken.

upload_2020-12-29_21-47-42.jpeg

AeroFan_07 and JustinW like this.
  13. JustinW

JustinW Practically Family