Leather Pea Coats - Schott vs Cockpit?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by njlam, Mar 17, 2020.

1. njlam

njlam New in Town

Any thoughts here?

I am new to the Fedora Lounge and really love the site so far.

Unfortunately, I live in an area that trying either of these coats is unlikely.

I believe both companies make quality leather jackets (I own a Cockpit A2 and a Schott Perfecto), but am not sure who makes the better pea coat.

Let the experts speak!

Thanks.

2. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Lost Worlds. Top of the line in leather peacoats. Top of the line price, also. Not sure about the Cockpit or the Schott. No experience with either of those.

Welcome to the Lounge.

red devil and antoine p like this.
  3. Mawashi

Mawashi One of the Regulars

4. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

I had a Schott one briefly, didn't like it at all. Wasn't impressed with the leather and the jacket overall was just nothing special for the price.

(This was in the UK and I know we get a lot of licenced, cheaper Schott jackets over here so its possible it was one of those, but I seem to recall checking the model number and it being the only one for this jacket.)

5. KissMyMuscle

KissMyMuscle One of the Regulars

I have owned 4 cockpit sheepskin jackets, one goatskin A2 and one schott b3. From my opinion, the cockpit's quality is poorer.

6. KissMyMuscle

KissMyMuscle One of the Regulars

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Mawashi likes this.
  7. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I agree with @Peacoat that the LW on is probably the best leather peacoat money can buy.
    If you want a cheaper option i would just buy a used Schott on eBay, there are always lots of them going cheap.

8. Jejupe

Jejupe Practically Family

LW hands down. I own three. One in green deerskin, one in black goat and one in Denim. Their pattern cannot be beaten... although be advised, their Peacoat, as most LW patterns it's not for somebody with well built midsection, or as Stuart (owner of LW) told me when I had a more considerable gut: "the gut ruins all patterns".

ps. I also have the LW courier peacoat in black deerskin which is a nice option for someone who finds the normal peacoat to be a bit on the boring side!

9. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

I own a 30 yr old schott peacoat ,,great jacket & stands up to any aero,Eastman or lost worlds ,and I own jackets from all of those makers along with vanson,belstaff .buzz rickson & many others.dont know about modern schott but their jackets from years ago have stood the test of time while I’ve sold jackets from all those other maker’s.

10. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

I will mirror everything said about the Lost Worlds peacoat, it is the best I have handled so far

11. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

The LW version is really nice, but Tenjin Works out of Japan makes a very nice version as well. Some beautiful hide choices too.

12. Peacoat

I found the website for Tenjin Works, but couldn't find its peacoats. Have a lot of stuff, but site isn't well organized. After wasting 30 minutes, I gave up. Do have a link to their peacoats?

13. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Tenjin Works:
    E894A6D2-075B-45FE-8CA1-58F2DA76B39E.jpeg
    02FF0EB2-BEEB-4CC3-A83E-1F3B2E8D3F51.jpeg
    80C4A810-60A4-4B42-8727-D1C2066A8026.jpeg
    CD175A34-86BB-4375-B9F2-BAE5B9DF163D.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Mawashi, MrProper and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  14. Peacoat

If that is Tenjin Works, it has modeled its peacoat after the WWI version.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  15. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

A fairly cheap option is to get a Wested version made in a lighter hide to see how it looks and feels and if you like it. Magnoli Clothiers do one too.

I have owned four different Westeds over the past 15 years and they are pretty well made.

https://www.wested.com/german-u-boat-jacket-as-used-in-dr-who-20-p.asp

And finally the cheapest option is to try to find a West German police coat. They are really thick and heavy and can sometimes be found for ultra cheap on eBay. For instance;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mans-Ge...263635?hash=item3ae7df2353:g:G90AAOSw~e5ZRndC

This is what I would get if I wanted this kind of jacket.

Mawashi likes this.
  16. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

17. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

My 2 cents: I own the Aero version (https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-aero-mariner.85245/) and last year I tried the Schott in the NYC Schott shop. The Aero is supposed to be an overcoat so for a more fitted version you have to downsize. The Mariner is my favourite leather jacket from the 10 I own, and the one I tend to wear the most. The Schott is more fitted. I own 2 Schott leather (618 in both steer and horse) and the wool peacoat (140) and I'm really satisfied with them, I consider them great jackets but nowadays rather overpriced. The obvious advantage of Aero is that you can modify the sleeve and back length, the choice of different hides and linings, etc.
    For a period I remember Simmons Bilt had their own version of Peacoat, it looked great but now I cannot find it in their website.

18. stmike

stmike One of the Regulars

Someone posted some peacoats in various sizes the other day on the SchottNYC forum classifieds.

19. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

A couple of months back I picked up a Cockpit black pea-jacket from a member here for about $100, and it's become one of my favorites. Very trim-looking when buttoned and made out of a washed, very sturdy cowhide. Solid but really comfortable.

20. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

AbbaDatDeHat and Graemsay like this.