Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

pawineguy

One Too Many
I'd love to see pics of your Cal jacket when it's finished. Did you go with one of their Police style CHP jackets?
Honestly, I don't know much about Cal Leathers, but I'll be passing by their store in Ventura at the end of the month, and I plan to stop in and try on some jackets and educate myself a little more.

It's called the Ventura, and it's a blend of a CHP and a cafe racer. I'm still around 5 or 6 weeks away from the jacket but will be updating TFL when I receive the denim prototype jacket and again when the jacket itself arrives.

pasted-image-20.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's an incredible NYPD motorcycle coat which is listed on e-Bay at the moment for a very low starting bid (nothing to do with me). I presume it's vintage, but maybe someone like Dinerman will know by the tag, etc. The NYPD highway unit still wears coats like this, but shorter and minus the fur collar. The quality of this particular coat is extraordinary. Click for bigger images.

Terran

New in Town
Hi all..

I bought a Taylor's Leatherwear "Memphis #4461", brand new, through their online factory store back in Jan. 2015. It's the dark brown variant. Made in USA. It was on-sale at about 50%-off ($163.32, total w/S&H). It's a decent jacket so-far. Not a favorite, but I like it. It's a Sz 38 and fits well as one, not too tight or slouchy on my frame.

It's not perfect -- there are some barely visible flaws, but knowing that they're there... And the leather is thinner/lighter than I expected; compared to a used/vintage and very heavy "Patterson" style jacket that I have. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for where I am currently living -- The Patterson just feels like too-much jacket for here, even without the liner.

One irksome lacking feature is that there are no gussets at the armpits. This limits the amount that I can raise my arms before the whole jacket rises up with the motion. I wasn't aware of their absence and didn't think to ask. Having some installed might be worthwhile down the road. Also, and this is a debatable problem: The back panel turned out to have the seam up the center and not the one-piece seen on their older production jackets. There's currently a black version of the Memphis available (now just $79 + S&H), that has been on sale there since I got mine. They finally included a photo of the back. Personally, I'm glad that I chose the brown version.

As as far as leather treatment goes, I'm very partial to Obenauf's. I've been using it for years now and it seems to live up to its claims and reputation. I just wish it was a little cheaper to come by.

Terran

New in Town
And about the "Patterson". I don't know who made it. It didn't come with the zip-out liner that might have had those labels. No decorative buttons were included. However, the impressions left by the removed patches, tell that it was used by a member of the Chester Township PD (Pennsylvania). Kinda' cool, as I lived in the same county for a few years. It has nice grain, very heavyweight leather, making the entire jacket also heavy. Almost too heavy for my liking (hence, the aforementioned Taylor's Memphis buy). I've considered selling or gifting it at times.

The ugly: There's some issues with the fit because of the missing liner. It's a 40R but wears kinda' loose and long; more like a military field jacket - However, the sleeves appear professionally properly shortened (factory job?) to just long enough to cover the wrists. The snap-tab side "vents" don't close well without binding up poorly and are best left unfastened. And lastly, the front zipper is unreliable - might just need cleaning and lube. I paid just less than $40 in all, so whatever. :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi all..

I bought a Taylor's Leatherwear "Memphis #4461", brand new, through their online factory store back in Jan. 2015. It's the dark brown variant. Made in USA. It was on-sale at about 50%-off ($163.32, total w/S&H). It's a decent jacket so-far. Not a favorite, but I like it. It's a Sz 38 and fits well as one, not too tight or slouchy on my frame.

It's not perfect -- there are some barely visible flaws, but knowing that they're there... And the leather is thinner/lighter than I expected; compared to a used/vintage and very heavy "Patterson" style jacket that I have. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for where I am currently living -- The Patterson just feels like too-much jacket for here, even without the liner.

One irksome lacking feature is that there are no gussets at the armpits. This limits the amount that I can raise my arms before the whole jacket rises up with the motion. I wasn't aware of their absence and didn't think to ask. Having some installed might be worthwhile down the road. Also, and this is a debatable problem: The back panel turned out to have the seam up the center and not the one-piece seen on their older production jackets. There's currently a black version of the Memphis available (now just $79 + S&H), that has been on sale there since I got mine. They finally included a photo of the back. Personally, I'm glad that I chose the brown version.

As as far as leather treatment goes, I'm very partial to Obenauf's. I've been using it for years now and it seems to live up to its claims and reputation. I just wish it was a little cheaper to come by.
Actually, an inability to raise the arms before the jacket starts to ride up is usually related to armholes set too low on the jacket. A jacket with high armholes should be able to accommodate arms raised to at least 90 degrees before ride up without the gussets. In my opinion, jackets built without the gussets are much cleaner in design.

I have a Taylor police jacket and can't say that I have noticed ride up. The jacket doesn't have the gussets.

And welcome to the Lounge. P.C.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's some very interesting German police motorcycle jackets (or at least that's what the e-Bay seller is saying). If these jackets were my size I would be all over them. They would make good ideas for custom-made jackets when I win the lottery someday.

Keep focused...nylon or shearling :)

JVanBro

Familiar Face
Hello I'm new here and looking for opinions on a used Taylor leather Cleveland Police jacket I've been looking at. I'm usually a Schott, Lesco and Brooks fan but this Taylor seems to be a good choice for the seller's price. Has anyone owned the Cleveland model? Thanks in advance.
John

SJC

Suspended
Hi, I am trying to avoid the ultimate mistake of a newbie and asking the same question the 100th time, but one needs to start somewhere. And I've not seen anything on police uniform jackets atleast recently.

OK, so I am in the process of getting a jacket, or two actually if I can't combine. I'd like a lightweight "summer jacket" and then a "winter/motorbike" jacket which of course I would love to get one good or then two not so good. Like my B-6 is warm but I can't drive my car nor fit anything underneath it... Or I could take two cheap ones or just go on with my peacoat-style I found offchance. My problem is that I am, apart from big and hairy also living in Finland which makes buying off "clean-shaved yankees" about as much fun as you guys seem to have trouble buying off us "rude jerries" overseas. Please note when I get reamed in Customs its 22%VAT... So the same "caveat emptor" is Global and boy am I glad to have found this forum. Help, pretty please!

So then, I've always loved the A-2/G-1 (must be the Golden Monkey and Black Sheep I was glued watching as a kid) and then of course the "Indy" style. However as I am from a place where you dress in layers and need to move around too (and I'm 6ft 3 and have a long back) and want something "towards there" that won't walk at me on the street I think I've found "my style" which is the "Chicago Police" uniform jacket. Well, I want one without the big buttons and looking so glitzy, but then we come to the problem of size and availability.

I wear size 50L these days, 44 waist... OK, so a 48L with a 42 waist is probably what a tailor would fit me, but I want to turn inside out in my clothes, and though I have some tailored suits anything off the rack needs to be comfy. However it seems, if I buy a XXL it is some "childrens size" 46. So then I buy a 4XL and it is made for a bloke who is wider than tall with short arms, so I got a short-sleeved tent on... So 60L sleeves on a 50 chest with 65L length, as I don't wear my jeans to my armpits, but I hate the cold air coming in that way when I drive the motorcycle...

Now I've been looking at the jackets made by Taylors'... problem is that they all seem to ride a bit high... but is a size 50 tight or not? Anyone? And then I don't know if say Nate's uniforms in Chicago would/could do a tailored one... or communicate with a weird foreigner.

So what is it you knowledgeable gentlemen suggest. Anyone "in the know" about police jackets (esp. Taylor's sizing). I'm a bit apprehensive of shelling out say 500$ for something "tailored" for someone else (and get reamed in the customs) and end up with a paper-thin "subtle leather" when I wanted something off a bulletproof cow. And I know the "uniform" stuff is generally "for the wear" - like (Schott's?) NYPD 3/4coats I wish I had the money for when I was on that side of the pond. Or should I go after say a Cooper 58L G-1 and try tuck in the excess tent and wear it sleeves looking rolled up...

I actually have a "Chicago Style" , might be goatskin, fake that is "my size" if I want a tight summer jacket, would be perfect A2 size with the ribbings added to it; but if I want a winter one, that'd need space for say a shearling vest underneath...

Rambling off. I'll post a few pics so you know what I mean.
Get a Schott NYC model 641HH in Italian horsehide, You'll LOVE it !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21