Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

Fifty150

One Too Many
I bought this jacket. I didn't need it. But then again, I probably didn't "need" any of my leather jackets after I got my 1st. Every leather jacket after that, was "want", not "need".

This jacket is identical to "raid" jackets sold by uniform manufacturers. I have a jacket just like this with a Gore-Tex shell. I will be able to use this jacket for work, and wear it when riding my own bike.

It has certain features that I like and work well for my use. The front placket zips all the way up, like a turtleneck sweater when closed. Good for keeping wind out. The side vent zipper is what I am used to, as it allows for easy access to a holstered firearm. It has the zip out Thinsulate liner which I like. And I like the pockets. Those ID panels tuck away..

The real reason I bought it was the price. It was just too good of a deal. Discount price of $149. - 20% coupon. $119.20. You can't buy much of a jacket for that price. Although there are much nicer jackets, they cost a lot more. I'll be able to wear this in the rain and snow, and not care.

1655609284310.png

1655608806387.jpeg
1655609504123.png

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
The jacket was ordered on a Saturday, shipped on Monday, and arrived on Friday.

This jacket is a leather replicate of the textile jackets regularly issued by police departments.

The first thing I did was remove the liner. The inside of the jacket liner is fleece, and it is filled with Thinsulate. The liner has zippers on both sides, and snaps which attach it. With proper layering, this jacket is warm in winter.

The next thing that I did was remove the identification panels. They can tuck into the jacket. They also zip off. With the panels removed, the seam line allows for ventilation. The jacket was designed this way. The inside lining of the upper half of the jacket is a mesh material intended for airflow and to wick away moisture.

I also opened the side seams. This allows easy access to equipment on your belt, and your firearm. It also provides extra ventilation. From experience, on cold days when you are layered, you get really hot and sweaty. This is the next best thing to those zippers that open under the arms. The jacket is now more relaxed, and doesn't bunch up when you are seated in a car or on a motorcycle. Much more comfortable.

On the outside of the jacket, next to the zipper, are 2 zippered pockets. You can see it in the pictures, but it's not mentioned in the product description. On the inside of the leather outer shell, there are 2 pockets, 1 on each side, secured by a zipper. Good for documents like motorcycle registration, your wallet, or a concealed pistol. Also not mentioned in the product description is the 2 way zipper on the front. It works for me. I like zipping up the jacket, then opening the bottom.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here

What era are these ones from? The ones I have seen surplus are the seventies pea-coat style, and the bright, almost Kawasaki-green ones from I think the eighties? When I was first in Berlin in 1999, I remember the police wearing green uniforms I think, but I believe that's all changed since. Not been back since 2002, horrifically - far too long. I adored Berlin, it's a place I could imagine living in.

This is a state police jacket from North Rhine Westphalia, I would estimate it something around first 2000‘s decade.
Other than federal the state police units are independently equipped and dressed, differing from state to state, so this type of jacket might still be around somewhere in one of Germany‘s 16 state units.

Fifty150

One Too Many
It wasn't mentioned in the product description. I didn't notice it until after I bought the jacket. In the photo, you can see it on the right sleeve. There is a zipper on the bottom of the sleeve. There is a mesh lining under the zipper. This provides for additional airflow and cooling.
1657342756959.png

If you can get it in your size, there is a 30% off coupon right now. That is a really low price,. I'm almost tempted to buy an extra.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Those are amazing jackets, tmitchell. Great photography, too. Thanks so much for posting.

Thank you!

The 2nd Buco label does not seem to match the rest of the jacket in terms of age and I am not sure I have ever seen a PJ27 with a 2nd label.

It comes in today. This label was 1948-1952. What year was the first PJ27? Notice the handwarmer pocket on the left side?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Buco arrived. I thought it looked like heavy horsehide. I weighed my Lost Worlds Test 4+ yesterday; same weight 7 pounds.

1671402245602.jpeg

Main zipper is changed and the pin is on the right side, YKK. both sleeve zippers are changed to YKK, but the original Conmar sleeve zippers are included. Both pocket zippers appear to be original. The size is probably a 46, big for a 44. No size is listed

Mystery continues, but leading me into the Buco world where I am new.

1671402654456.jpeg
1671402675237.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This unknown police style jacket arrived today.

It's an unusual jacket with a massive kidney belt, i can't quite figure out if the jacket has been extended?.

Though main Talon zipper dates late 30's early 40's.

SLwVivN.jpg

xbRsoGR.jpg

2jedN2w.jpg

4zMat2C.jpg

R82uNvm.jpg

m8ZeCv2.jpg
KRWlmPx.jpg
This is the coolest police jacket I've ever seen. And even though the proportions are slightly off, it looks absolutely awesome on you!

Gamma68

One Too Many

It's an unusual jacket with a massive kidney belt, i can't quite figure out if the jacket has been extended?.

although the main Talon zipper dates late 30's early 40's.

SLwVivN.jpg

xbRsoGR.jpg

2jedN2w.jpg

4zMat2C.jpg

R82uNvm.jpg

m8ZeCv2.jpg
KRWlmPx.jpg

Loads to like about this jacket! Sorry I can't help with an ID, but you wear it very well. Enjoy!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

although the main Talon zipper dates late 30's early 40's.

SLwVivN.jpg

xbRsoGR.jpg

2jedN2w.jpg

4zMat2C.jpg

R82uNvm.jpg

m8ZeCv2.jpg
KRWlmPx.jpg

The leather on the interior and overall look says west coast. What are the pocket zippers?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch