Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
@johnnyjohnny I think you’re confusing me with someone. I’m not opposing Taylor’s.

I was saying I wouldn’t buy from Nate’s or San Diego; I would rather buy another Taylor’s. I don’t wear mine because I sized wrong but the quality is excellent.
hi...didn't mean to suggest anyone was opposing Taylor but it sounded as if there was some confusion (maybe not you) about how good their quality was, and also that their prices were as high as Vanson, Schott, et al, which they are really about half. sorry yours was the wrong size :(

i am really enthused about Taylor and don't get on the forum much so was just waxing their praises.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hi...didn't mean to suggest anyone was opposing Taylor but it sounded as if there was some confusion (maybe not you) about how good their quality was, and also that their prices were as high as Vanson, Schott, et al, which they are really about half. sorry yours was the wrong size :(

i am really enthused about Taylor and don't get on the forum much so was just waxing their praises.

No I was saying that I wouldn't buy San Diego Leather or Nate's because their pricing is nearly/more than Vanson.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I've been looking at Taylors Leatherwear, and they look like real utilitarian jackets, definitely not fashion wear. Don't get me wrong, they look good too, but their primary function is workwear. For the price, you can't get any better or tougher jacket than what they sell. Looks like if you want a jacket to beat up (and not ruin the fancy Aero, or whatever) and not spend too much money, they are your ticket. You won't cry when you fall of the bike and destroy it!!

Aloysius

I've been looking at Taylors Leatherwear, and they look like real utilitarian jackets, definitely not fashion wear. Don't get me wrong, they look good too, but their primary function is workwear. For the price, you can't get any better or tougher jacket than what they sell. Looks like if you want a jacket to beat up (and not ruin the fancy Aero, or whatever) and not spend too much money, they are your ticket. You won't cry when you fall of the bike and destroy it!!

I have a great one that's a size too big for me (I'm a 40 generally) if you're after one. Tried on but not worn.

hieu

A-List Customer
Here's my new Californian straight-zip CHP:

DSC02711.jpg

DSC02718.jpg

DSC02714.jpg

A Californian CHP has always been one of the jackets on my wishlist. I think it started when I watched this tmitchell video. I've always been a relatively conservative dresser so the straight zip felt like a safe option that still had cool motorcyle vibes. From what I've seen it doesn't seem to be a particularly rare jacket; there are usually a few floating around the marketplaces at any point. However, to find one in good condition was always tough so I was pretty happy when I landed mine.

The leather is really nice. It's very substantial while still being comfortable. The grain is amazing. California Sportswear seems to be a forum favorite and now I see why. Although I haven't had many chances to wear it, it's definitely been a gateway drug to motorcycle jackets for me. Hopefully up next is a cool cross zip :)

Attachments

• DSC02715.jpg
    DSC02715.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Here's my new to me Californian straight-zip CHP:

View attachment 524429

View attachment 524425

View attachment 524428

A Californian CHP has always been one of the jackets on my wishlist. I think it started when I watched this tmitchell video. I've always been a relatively conservative dresser so the straight zip felt like a safe option that still had cool motorcyle vibes. From what I've seen it doesn't seem to be a particularly rare jacket; there are usually a few floating around the marketplaces at any point. However, to find one in good condition was always tough so I was pretty happy when I landed mine.

The leather is really nice. It's very substantial while still being comfortable. The grain is amazing. California Sportswear seems to be a forum favorite and now I see why. Although I haven't had many chances to wear it, it's definitely been a gateway drug to motorcycle jackets for me. Hopefully up next is a cool cross zip :)

(side note: there's a similar jacket in better condition on Mercari Japan if anybody wants to snag one. Sz 38 and pricey though)
A beauty, love the lining.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^^ That CHP jacket is simply amazing, thanks so much for posting those excellent photos. I agree that these sorts of centre zip jackets can be really appealing, since (to my eye, at least) the perfecto style can be a bit "much."

AHP91

Practically Family

View attachment 524429

View attachment 524425

View attachment 524428

(side note: there's a similar jacket in better condition on Mercari Japan if anybody wants to snag one. Sz 38 and pricey though)
That's a beauty in excellent condition. Super comfortable to wear but a wonderful jacket

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 524429

View attachment 524425

View attachment 524428

Fine looking jacket! California Sportswear Co. was probably the largest supplier of leather jackets during their run. they made jackets in every style for every major catalog retailer since the early 1930s, That is what they did.

their jackets remain a bargain in todays market.

hieu

A-List Customer
^^ That CHP jacket is simply amazing, thanks so much for posting those excellent photos. I agree that these sorts of centre zip jackets can be really appealing, since (to my eye, at least) the perfecto style can be a bit "much."
Thanks :) I've been meaning to take some more jacket photos but haven't been able to find the time. The CHP is style is definitely a favorite of mine now!

Fine looking jacket! California Sportswear Co. was probably the largest supplier of leather jackets during their run. they made jackets in every style for every major catalog retailer since the early 1930s, That is what they did.

their jackets remain a bargain in todays market.
I'm definitely on the lookout for some more of their jackets now that I've had a taste. Do you have a favorite of theirs from your collection?

Fifty150

One Too Many

Just buy a few of them, and wear them.

I hang my head in embarrassment, and admit that I own more of their jackets than I need. Despite the fact that I was issued, by condition of employment, a motorcycle jacket from the local uniform vendor. I bought a few Taylor jackets, which are not even made to our uniform specifications. These are all for personal use. I can't wear them at work. I am just impressed by how they are so well made for that price point. Honestly heavy duty leather, with heavy duty hardware; twice as good as most retail motorcycle jackets and at a lower price.

You won't cry when you fall of the bike

You will cry. It will hurt. Nobody has a painless crash.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks :) I've been meaning to take some more jacket photos but haven't been able to find the time. The CHP is style is definitely a favorite of mine now!

I'm definitely on the lookout for some more of their jackets now that I've had a taste. Do you have a favorite of theirs from your collection?
This is one of my favorite CSC jackets. I probably have 15 civilian jackets and 10 Mc/police jackets. Duplicates of some.

20230308_113327.jpg
20230217_164259.jpg

Aloysius

My Taylor NJ police jacket is extremely well made (and in their older, thicker leather which is an added bonus) but it's too big for me (I'm a little over 6'1" with a 40" chest and I got Medium Tall).

Quite a shame. It seems incredibly practical.

Nacho

Practically Family
My Taylor NJ police jacket is extremely well made (and in their older, thicker leather which is an added bonus) but it's too big for me (I'm a little over 6'1" with a 40" chest and I got Medium Tall).

Quite a shame. It seems incredibly practical.
I’ve got a Taylor Memphis police jacket. One of my favourites. The leather is supple and easy to wear yet thick enough that it can last forever.

Taylor Leatherwear or Appalachian is one of the underrated vintage brands out there.

Chris_K

One of the Regulars
Here's my new Californian straight-zip CHP:

View attachment 524429

View attachment 524425

View attachment 524428

Damn, that truly is one beautiful jacket. You can clearly see the flight jacket inspiration going on. Would love to get my hands on one of these some day, very clean lines yet packs a punch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana