Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather trenchcoat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
barnstormer_mod.jpg

leafandarrow

New in Town
This is my compromise to the "trench coats make you look like a lonely basement taxidermist" problem. More of an English walking coat, esp good for layering tweed vests, bulky sweaters, etc. to help soften the look.

7782e62b_IMG_7216.jpg
50ffaf0c_IMG_7218.jpg
88b548fa_IMG_7225.jpg
ae43c77a_IMG_7221.jpg
d77907e2_IMG_7220.jpg

alexeberlin

New in Town
Very helpful comments all, thank you. I'm afraid that this leather trenchcoat thing is an itch that won't go away until I scratch it..at least to the extent of trying one on.
Incidentally my searches for such a garment have revealed that several "designer names" ( a phrase that I abhor) have leather trenchcoats in their AW15 range, including a gorgeous Ferragamo one ( worn by Henry "Napoleon Solo" Cavill ).

CLL3f9rVEAA7OJa.jpg

http://www.ferragamo.com/shop/en/uk/runway-uk/men-3074457345616734360--1/fw-15-16

cavillferragamo.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Ferragamo will have designed a coat which can be worn out and about without looking weird, so if you can pay their prices then you're probably safe. But make sure you do NOT wear a fedora with it!

28_men_fw_15_1200x1810.jpg

alexeberlin

New in Town
The other look that I really like is this, but its similar to the double breasted leather reefer jacket I have now- although mine doesn't have a belt.

Brookcoat.jpg

It's entirely possible that I'll try on a leather trench, hate the look and lost interest. It's just an idea that I have now.

alexeberlin

New in Town
Ferragamo will have designed a coat which can be worn out and about without looking weird, so if you can pay their prices then you're probably safe. But make sure you do NOT wear a fedora with it!

that's the one..I should be able to afford it, if I sell a kidney.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like a nice dark brown leather trench-coat..double breasted of course. Have owned a few in my time & always got a nod on passing the local drug dealer :)

kronos77

One of the Regulars
That picture of the guy in the Barnstormer is one that i have admired fpr a while. Unfortunately, shroter guys may not be able to pull that off either.

Bottom line for me is...wear what you are. If you think you are a leather trenchcoat guy and feel comfortable in it, you probably will look decent. On the other hand, if you are a depressed teenager or have some related syndrome, you probably won't look right in it. It is all in the individual.

Big J

Call Me a Cab

Why not? What's wrong with a fedora? I always wear a fedora with my trench coat because I hate umbrellas. Ah, BUT this trench coat is leather, so it has too much negative cultural baggage- no one will think 'Bogart', they will think 'Gestapo'.
And look at the kid in the photo; he's young, slim, fits accepted cultural standards of 'attractiveness', but even he has to scowl in that coat because there's no way to wear that coat with a happy face. Even the cat-walk model has to fake that he is 'angst-ridden'. He looks like an angry guy with possible mental health issues.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wore a 1940s USN M-69 Transport coat for years as my winter coat without any issues or negative comments. For me the trick always seemed to be pairing it with "friendly" clothes and accessories: tweed, bow ties, a battered fedora, brown shoes, that kind of thing.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I really think the negative comments are in the wearer's head. People aren't thinking about you and your clothes constantly and not to such a degree. If someone does think "gestapo", I doubt they will call the National Guard out. They will probably let the thought pass and admire how nice you look, if indeed you do look nice in it. Again, if you are a moody teenager walking around with a black leather trench coat and the countenance of a psychotic, expect different.

Forget something from 70 years ago. We have people wearing motorcycle jackets--black leather--associated with self proclaimed 1% motorcycle clubs who currently deal drugs, pimp women, beat people to death abd generally act like a bunch of sociopaths. Do people here hesitate to wear a perfecto? Don't wear a swastika on your leather trench coat and don't wear a 1% patch on your motorcycle jacket. Above all, don't believe that any more than the tiniest fraction of people you pass will even associate anything negative with your jacket unless you give them reason to.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I really think the negative comments are in the wearer's head. If someone does think "gestapo", they will probably admire how nice you look.

Not a fashion statement I'm trying to make.
''Gestapo; they looked nice!''

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I wore a 1940s USN M-69 Transport coat for years as my winter coat without any issues or negative comments. For me the trick always seemed to be pairing it with "friendly" clothes and accessories: tweed, bow ties, a battered fedora, brown shoes, that kind of thing.

I think you're right, but I also think (as I suggested a couple of pages back) that the Transport coat avoids the gestapo baggage by virtue of the brown color, being goat skin (it doesn't have that glossy black gestapo look), and most importantly, it has a giant fur collar, which makes a world of difference, putting it's image firmly into '1920's/30's aviator' style IMHO.

USN uniforms were designed by style geniuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner