Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Vest?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Looking for a leather vest, pretty much exactly like this one from Real Mccoy's. Problem with the Real Mccoy's vest is it's about $1,500 to $1,700 lol, otherwise I'd buy one. Anyone else make something that's pretty much exactly like it? It's hard to find a good leather vest that isn't corny looking.

1262-1.jpg

Vanson can build one. I debated between something like this and the D-pocket vest I ultimately went with.

Took me a bit to find a picture...this one.

5BE3349F-A508-44D1-8A89-7A21618469A7.jpeg

I just found pics of jackets and D pocket configurations that I liked, and sent them to Vanson. Told them I wanted a sleeveless version. Cost is a bit more than off the rack and dependent on how close the vest is to an existing jacket pattern they have. Definitely a lot, a lot less than the cost of the vest you posted.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Much like @JMax said you can get a custom one pretty easy.

I got one made by Johnson Leathers which I’ve been very happy with. It’s in dark brown Chromexcel but they have a variety of leathers to choose from. I just sent pics of what I wanted.

It was about $500 with custom fitting. Would have been less in cowhide.

Here’s a recent fit pic and 2 from when I got it last fall.

36B1E5BA-42CD-4293-AA5F-E569BEF521A2.jpeg

55926437-7BF0-4AB5-A348-EB85AB0DE9F0.jpeg

227D4948-ABC4-46C8-AD17-167892DD9217.jpeg

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
For what it’s worth mine was based off a Lost Worlds Ryder vest @Monitor has (had?). Stu quoted $850 for a new one.

I had a Lost Worlds vest. It was the one that looks like a jean jacket sans sleeves. It was great, loved it but the shoulders are too wide on those, they extend past the shoulders, like a jacket width. Which is fine, but I want something for layering under say a rain jacket for example. Need one with the narrower cut on the shoulders

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I search for vests all the time but it's tough to find something really cool. I got this one. Dyed black, it'd be very much alike that RMC vest, only much more nicely made.

20201222-140131.jpg

I had a Harley brand one similar to that. Perfect, but got sick of the Harley branding on it

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread too much, but you don't see many posts about vests. How do you size? Are you going with your usual jacket ptp? Obviously you have more range of motion, so I'm guessing you can go a little tighter, no?

Been eye balling those Aero Outlaws and C3.

Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread too much, but you don't see many posts about vests. How do you size? Are you going with your usual jacket ptp? Obviously you have more range of motion, so I'm guessing you can go a little tighter, no?

Been eye balling those Aero Outlaws and C3.

I definitely went same size with the Vanson. I have to confirm, but same size with the Schott and LWs. I think it depends on the kind of vest. If it’s more of a sleeveless jacket, I would go with the same P2P. An old western-type vest, I would agree with you for a fitted, under a jacket type of fit.

I’ve been eyeing the Outlaws too. Maybe I’ll go for one towards the end of the year.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I definitely went same size with the Vanson. I have to confirm, but same size with the Schott and LWs. I think it depends on the kind of vest. If it’s more of a sleeveless jacket, I would go with the same P2P. An old western-type vest, I would agree with you for a fitted, under a jacket type of fit.

I’ve been eyeing the Outlaws too. Maybe I’ll go for one towards the end of the year.
cool. yeah, it's just the sizing on their stock stuff. I think Aero sort of compensates down because the size 42 is not even 22 ptp. I know the size numbers mean squat, but if anything they skew bigger. I've got 3 Aero jackets in size 40 and they all over 22 ptp, so was scratching my head when I saw the sizing on the 40 and 42 vests. There's no way I'm going to 44, so I'm guessing 42, but then was thinking well maybe I'm just a 40 and they've done all the math for me.

cool. yeah, it's just the sizing on their stock stuff. I think Aero sort of compensates down because the size 42 is not even 22 ptp. I know the size numbers mean squat, but if anything they skew bigger. I've got 3 Aero jackets in size 40 and they all over 22 ptp, so was scratching my head when I saw the sizing on the 40 and 42 vests. There's no way I'm going to 44, so I'm guessing 42, but then was thinking well maybe I'm just a 40 and they've done all the math for me.

Trying to figure out Aero sizing on your own will make your head pop. Keep the Advil handy.

I like them though. As always, the little zips make me pause. And it’s about to get hot where I live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana