Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leatherheads - The Movie

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
I rather enjoyed it actually!! not too much slapstick and some lovely togs to look at. I've stuck a couple of shots I took on the self timer last year, as when I saw Clooney on the set, I thought...Auld George has been spying on 'ME!!' ;)

George doesn't pull off the look nearly as well as you do though Paddy! Your dogs are adorable.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw this recently and I enjoyed it but it could have been much better. The film makers in the 1930's made their comedies look so effortless; I couldn't help but think that Leatherheads showed how hard it really is to make a good screwball/1930's style comedy.

I thought there was plenty to like. The clothes and props alone were worth the price of my matinee admission--That motorcycle! Clooney's leather jacket! Zellweger's hats! Clooney and Zellweger had great chemistry--their scenes together were my favorites, hands down. In fact, I really wished the film had been a pure romantic comedy and ditched the football plot all together. I was surprised at how flat Krasinski was, but he didn't have much to do. It's always great to see Jonathan Pryce and the supporting players were very good (I loved it that the same actor played both guy who was going to jump from the ledge and the man's mother!) Randy Newman's music was great.

I found fault with the directing--the pace was just too slow. I thought the big revelation about how Krasinski "captured" the German soliders was funny so that didn't help the suspense around "what will happen when this gets out". And don't get me started on Zellweger's hair and clothes! She starts out fine in very authentic 1920's garb and then, halfway through the movie she turns into Veronica Lake! I wondered if her hair was dressed in such a 1940's style because she didn't want to cut it, but she showed up to the premiere in a bob so there goes that theory. Her outfits in the middle of the film were a strange mismash of eras (although I completely coveted that red suede coat) and then her wardrobe would verge back into the 1920's. Very strange. Also, it's just plain cruel to show a still picture of a vintage wedding dress from the shoulders up. Would it have killed them to show a brief shot of them getting married? On another clothing note, it drove me nuts that the pinstripes on Pryce's suits didn't match on the lapels even though his character was supposed to be wealthy (think I've been hanging around the Lounge too long?)

Enjoyable all in all but it was one of those movies I rewrote in my head after I left the theater.

texasgirl

One Too Many
We went and saw this the other night. So fun! I thought it was very entertaining. I thought they did pretty good with the costumes, but I'm no expert. But I do agree with you imoldfashioned, I thought the clothes kinda jumped around. And her hair was driving me crazy!!! I even stayed and read the credits and it looked like they had 5 hairstylists! And they couldn't get her hair right? Or were they just trying to make her look sexy? Anyway, her hats were fabulous!!! I loved all the hats! And Clooney's leather jacket was great! Anyway, we really enjoyed the movie, great little escape :)

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
I loved this movie, and as an Englishman it introduced me to an area of American culture I knew nothing about.

Mind you, I am a bit of a romantic (if only Renee Zellweger was free, sigh :eek: )

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
DVD is coming September 23rd... Widescreen and Blu-Ray ( I gots to get me one of dose)

Here are the extras on it:

Special Features
- Football's Beginning: The Making of Leatherheads
- No Pads, No Fear: Creating the Rowdy Football Scenes
- George Clooney: A Leatherheads Prankster
- Visual Effects Sequences

"Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day" hits DVD on Aug 19th.

The Special Features for that one are:

Deleted Scenes
Miss Pettigrew's Long Trip to Hollywood
Making an Unforgettable Day
Feature Commentary with Director Bharat Nalluri

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I saw the DVD today. I liked it but I am glad I waited for the rental. I thought the movie sets were great as well as the clothes. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet!

Weston

A-List Customer
Just got this from Netflix. Couple questions:

1. Where can I buy a watch that I can trade in for a 20's haircut, suit and motorcycle jacket?

2. Is anyone making that jacket, besides the Belstaff abomination Paddy showed?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Watched this again last night, much better the second time around 'cause I knew what to expect.

Two things:
-The main characters' suits seemed a bit long in the body. They looked too modern because of this, drove me crazy during the whole movie. :p

-Awesome hats and overcoats. When the suits weren't driving me crazy, I was drooling.

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Grand Lake Theatre

A friend and I saw it at the Grand Lake Movie Theatre in Oakland, CA when it came out. The story line was so, so...lots of vintage eye candy but what made it a special night was that we were the only people in the Theatre...it was really like we went back in time! The Theatre was opened in March 6, 1926...made it well worth the movie price. I kept glancing around the theatre, breathing it all in, enjoying the journey back in time...

gltheater3a.JPG

Feraud

Bartender
The movie tried to be a romantic comedy but was bogged down by the Carter Rutherford military service storyline.
Clooney should have dropped that storyline and went with a straight romantic competition angle.
Zellwegger's acting ability appears to not extend beyond pursing her lips off to one side.

BrewCrew

New in Town
Leatherheads

Clooney's movie is set in 1926 and the fashions are fantastic, though the movie ain't so much. Anyone else see it? Sorry if someone mentioned this film once before.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Hey all, new guy here. Sorry to revive an old thread but I just wanted to throw out my two cents on the picture. I did stunts on the film for 5 weeks in the Carolinas and it was the most fun experience I've had working on a film. George was not only the lead but also the director (as I'm sure many of you already know) and he kept the set extremely laid back and fun. I was pretty bummed when my run on the film came to an end (the last scene I worked on was the barfight towards the end.. I was one of the soldiers who comes in and rumbles with Clooney and his boys). I personally thought the film would have been better than it was. I agree it was pretty slow-paced. Everything we shot felt like it had so much energy to it and so much comedy, but when watching the movie it didn't really come across like that. But yes, as someone else mentioned, George should be applauded for trying such a picture.

Tommer

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Jumbled sartorial style and historical anachronisms aside, I think it's a great movie; let's face it, there's not too many quality, modern-made period pictures that are available for us folks to choose from...Hollyweird is getting better at getting period details and authenticity correct in their offerings; I just hope Depp's forthcoming Public Enemies does us justice...:)
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy