Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leatherique on FQHH - experience?

I just bought an Aero 30s halfbelt 2nd hand- 20yrs old in black...
When it arrived it was beautifully broken in with some great wear spots on the shoulders, but it definitely felt dry to me.
I've never had a horsehide jacket, but do have a vintage 40s black Steerhide Hercules that I've used Pecards on with great results. I wanted to condition it just a bit so I didn't use very much as I certainly wasn't going for the "new jacket" look, but unfortunately...while I believe the leather is ready for the next 10-20years, it also erased some of the brownish wear....again, unlike the patina on the steerhide. A double edge sword I guess.. On the Horween site they recommend Neatsfoot oil. Anyone tried that out? Does it condition w/o getting rid of the good stuff, or does it make the jacket "like new"?

Last edited:

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I asked my dad about this for you Mike, he's much more able to offer sound advice on this than me! He said when we had The Thrift Shop, where he had around 500 leather jackets in stock at any one time often including 50 to 100 original Type A-2s, he tried every Neatsfoot oil going, terrible stuff apart from Proberts Neats Foot Oil, very good if used VERY sparingly... VERY VERY sparingly even that dulled the patina slightly.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I'll check it out and put it in the cupboard for the next 10 years while I try work on getting my patina back.
It's crazy how different the black and brown horsehides seem to be...from all the forum pictures, the brown/ cordovan jackets get crazy great patina while the black ones take 20 or so years to look weathered- and even then just some dulling and a bit of slight brownishness..

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check it out and put it in the cupboard for the next 10 years while I try work on getting my patina back.
It's crazy how different the black and brown horsehides seem to be...from all the forum pictures, the brown/ cordovan jackets get crazy great patina while the black ones take 20 or so years to look weathered- and even then just some dulling and a bit of slight brownishness..

However...there have been photos of a couple of black FQHH Aero jackets 'bought used' posted on this forum..that had aged beautifully. Rather than a scuffed looking hide..from black to very light grey..these two Aeros developed an antiqued looking black to brown appearance. One was sent to Aero for new lining right after purchase..and returned with the same 'untouched' stunning well worn finish. I'll do a search and see if I can find a pic.
HD

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
However...there have been photos of a couple of black FQHH Aero jackets 'bought used' posted on this forum..that had aged beautifully. Rather than a scuffed looking hide..from black to very light grey..these two Aeros developed an antiqued looking black to brown appearance. One was sent to Aero for new lining right after purchase..and returned with the same 'untouched' stunning well worn finish. I'll do a search and see if I can find a pic.
HD

I remember that jacket. It was in the last 4-6 weeks. I'm not even a fan of black leather, but that one looked amazing with great distressed brown tones. Very nice.

Edit: this is it, right? 3rd page into this thread - Not sure where I got the 4-6 weeks from?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...man-will-ride-again!/page3&highlight=relining

Last edited:
ahh, but that jacket is Steerhide...I could show you some nice steerhide patina on my Hercules- even after Pecards....It sure is a nice Highwayman though!

ahh, but that jacket is Steerhide...I could show you some nice steerhide patina on my Hercules- even after Pecards....It sure is a nice Highwayman though!

HH patina can be very similar as far as finish. However usually the hide takes on more of a marbly grain.
Show us your Pecarded Hercules. No need to be bashful.....:D
HD

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
It's funny, actually. Most of my initial concern came from my girlfriend. The jacket was very expensive aka valuable, so, as a logical consequence, you ought to do something about it to preserve it, protect it, the works... These days, when you buy a new pair of shoes, the salesperson will automatically give you advice on how to treat the things initially, "don't wear them before you put this and that spray, emulsion, lotion, whatsoever on it". This attitude towards leather-items kind of got ingrained in our minds and we think everything must be babied like that because we are no longer used to high-quality leather-items that actually don't require excessive care. I still get these "oh, really"-looks from her when I say "No treatment".:D But the patina that allready develops kind of justifies my "no care"-approach.:D

Lear

One of the Regulars
Good point Don Tomaso

My cordovan FQHH is only a few years old. Has had lots of water and creasing since new. However, I found that applying a thin smear of RM Williams Saddle Dressing actually brought the patina out even further. Now, when I crease or slightly twist the FQHH, that area is left with a nice bloom/fade. That'll probably be it for another few years. RM say this stuff will never go rancid. The consistency is somewhere between butter left in the fridge/out overnight. Not a liquid, so needs pressing into the leather with fingers. Warmth helps here.

I remember someone (possibly Jan Solo) who bought a bespoke FQHH wallet. The maker treated it with the same stuff.

Lear

The key may be in how and how much is applied. In my experience anyhoo. Small amounts rubbed in by hand (yeah, it's tough to wash off...) seem to indeed bring out the beauty, without taking it away. But I will not treat my 50's HBD for some time...

bobjones

A-List Customer
Ok, I applied the Leatherique Rejuvenator to my 5 year old FQHH Stockman, which had section that on the surface, seemed a bit dry and hung the jacket by an airy spot to dry off any excess fluid.

I may have applied too much :eusa_doh: but hopefully the excess will just dry off over the next few days.

The jacket soaked up the LR like a sponge, so I'm guessing that the hide might have needed it, which of course darkens the tone a bit but I'll see over the next few days as it dries off how much. At this point, it isn't much of a difference, even though while I may have poured too liberally, I did work it into the leather by hand as thoroughly as I could.

I also have the Leatherique Cleaner, but want to wait and see how the RJ works out before applying that. I also have a 4-year old FQHH Highwayman, but might wait a bit before applying anything to that jacket.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
When used on cars, the way that it is suggested that Leatherique be used is to apply it on a very hot day and let the car sit out in the sun all day. This is supposed to allow it to be absorbed and dry. The Leatherique is supposed to "force" dirt out and thus the reason to follow with the Pristine Clean spray.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've been using RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing for years and years now and wouldn't hesitate to recommend if members stumble across it. I use it on everything leather I have, jackets, shoes, boots, bags, etc.

And my uncles have been using it on the saddles and tack on their farms for years and there's working saddles which are 40/50 years old still going strong from the stuff.

I know bartender Paddy here is also a big fan of it. Definitely try it if you can find it.

Was going to go to a local tack shop this weekend. Got a Horsehide wallet and I also need some stuff for boots, etc. I still have 1/2 a tub or Pecards, but I thought I'd check out some other stuff too. Thanks for the info on the Williams dressing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy