Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lee Fifth Avenue "Gold Label", "Beaver Nap", Fedora

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
I would like to introduce my newest hat. It is, in my view, a true big-crowned American fedora.

Bought from eBay, out of Dearborn, Michigan.

It's marked or labelled 7-1/8, "Beaver Nap Twenty", "Gold Label" and indeed carries a $20.00 original price tag, and was originally sold at The Gately Shops, 241 Michigan Avenue in Detroit. The hat might be 1940's, at least that's what seller claims; I tend to believe that may well be correct.

The felt is medium-length hair velvety, very soft, very pliable, with an ample crown. Quality is very good. This hat is far removed from the "thin ribbon" family of hats, and the ribbon knot is very special, I suppose indicative of some period in time.

Leehat012.jpg

Leehat013.jpg

Leehat014.jpg

Leehat015.jpg

I shaved and dressed up for this one... I definitely think these kind of hats go much better with a good haircut, so I did some hiding of that ponytail of mine...

Leehat001.jpg

Leehat008.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Paul

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nice Hat

Paul, That is a wonderful fedora. The ribbon treatment is quite nice. I like the loose pinch you have in the crown.

I can't tell, is the felt brown or grey? Initially, I thought brown/sable but, in an outdoor picture, it appears to be
grey/charcoal. Is that the rare beaveleon felt? ;) :)

Also, what are the pins that you are wearing on your waistcoat?

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
carter said:

I can't tell, is the felt brown or grey? Initially, I thought brown/sable but, in an outdoor picture, it appears to be
grey/charcoal.

Carter, the color is quite close to the first pictures, taken indoor: definitely a shade of brown and, really, no hint of grey or charcoal.

Is that the rare beaveleon felt? ;) :)
---
Er...beats me... I have no idea what the "beaveleon" felt is (are you pulling my leg, Carter?

Also, what are the pins that you are wearing on your waistcoat?
---
The tie clip is the Royal seal of King Juan-Carlos of Spain; a fantastic figure and definitely one of the (rare!) great Kings of that country.

The blue with the cross is the State Seal of Asturias, on the Atlantic coast of Spain.

The third one is the flag of Europe. One day, that will be our country. But we're not fully quite there yet; there are still a number of issues to refine (and agree to).

Regards,
Paul

carter

I'll Lock Up
Paul, The brown is a very nice color.

I am pulling your leg. Beaveleon is simply a concoction made of beaver and chameleon. The occasional felt seems to have a chameleon-like quality in different lighting. Ergo, beaveleon felt. :D Although, if there was no beaver content in the felt, it might be more appropriately known as fureleon felt.

Thanks for the info on the pins and my compliments to the photographer.

Carter

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Super Lid Paul.....

It's a Fantastic Lid with a beautiful ribbon treatment, and it looks Great on ya.

Like Carter said, props to the photographer, great shots. You should use one for your Avatar. ;)

PabloElFlamenco said:
I would like to introduce my newest hat. It is, in my view, a true big-crowned American fedora.

Bought from eBay, out of Dearborn, Michigan.

It's marked or labelled 7-1/8, "Beaver Nap Twenty", "Gold Label" and indeed carries a $20.00 original price tag, and was originally sold at The Gately Shops, 241 Michigan Avenue in Detroit. The hat might be 1940's, at least that's what seller claims; I tend to believe that may well be correct.

The felt is medium-length hair velvety, very soft, very pliable, with an ample crown. Quality is very good. This hat is far removed from the "thin ribbon" family of hats, and the ribbon knot is very special, I suppose indicative of some period in time.

Leehat012.jpg

I shaved and dressed up for this one... I definitely think these kind of hats go much better with a good haircut, so I did some hiding of that ponytail of mine...

Thanks for watching!

Paul

Beautiful Hat!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
PabloElFlamenco said:
The third one is the flag of Europe. One day, that will be our country. But we're not fully quite there yet; there are still a number of issues to refine (and agree to).

No politics allowed here [bad], unless it is the politics of hat making. Although I have to say that I agree.

Sorry about posting this, but I just wanted a reason to use that smiley. This is a very nice hat. Unusual but interesting ribbon.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a great hat!

Reminds me of my Knox 20 velour, probably a contemporary
competitor (note the ribbon):

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=649134&postcount=14

I really like the more moderate fur finish on yours over the longer
fibers some hats in this thread, like my Borsalino Angora, have:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34078

I'm guessing both hats are early 50s. Yours mostly from the
appearance of the inside- plastic, and the writing on the sweatband.
But you get what you pay for with Lounge opinions...

Looks like a "felted" or Cavanagh Edge on your hat?

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Hi Feltfan, (sorry being so late), but your question is exactly mine! Would that, then be a Cavanagh edge?

I think it is. I can't see any stitches there, it seems the edge is folded over and somehow "sticks in place". It's the first hat I have with such a brim finish.

And, for being a 1950's hat, I would vote for that rather than the fourties. But I don't know why... Seems to me the labels look a bit more like the fifties. And there's reference on the sweatband to "Dupont" waterproofing (haven't got the hat here, so this isn't literal) ... all that screams fifties to me!

Paul

nickn5

One of the Regulars
That's a very nice hat Pablo, nice colour too.

I'd also (though no expert) be inclined to think it is an early 1950s hat rather than 40s, partly because of the price ($20.00).

Not too sure about the edge though, I must find time and try to work out the difference between mode, guild, Cavanagh, welt, etc., edges. I'm still puzzled by some of them... :eusa_doh:

N. :)

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
You'll find the answers to all your questions here, my friend!

The Definitive Cavanagh Edge Primer

Brad

Just to reassure you that I am (often) an attentive student, I have -meanwhile- already bookmarked that thread as, clearly, it is extremely informative and should, indeed, give me all or most of the answers.
It's just that I have not yet read through all of it, and with my hat sitting in a box at home, I can't put two and two together. Yet.

Cheers, and thank you Brad.
Pablo

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Hi Wil. Thanks for the compliment!

You lucky I wear hat to office today :)

(Unbashed) the crown is 13 centimeters (5.12 -decimal- inches) high.
(measured with a ruler stuck up inside the middle of the crown and looked at horizontally - there will be some slight error there).

The ribbon is 53 millimeters wide (2.09 -decimal- inches) so I would say 2 inches.

If you need anything more, just ask...

Paul

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
I have a very similar-looking fedora.The crown's not quite so high. It's a Towncraft. Now I've always considered Penney a working-man's department store, but the old hat I have is marked XXXX Beaver and has a hand-welted edge. These days I'm not sure any hatmakers still do the hand-welted edge. I have a beautiful old Dobbs (with box) with the hand-welted edge, but even my newer Stetson has the edge folded over and presumably glued. I read someplace that Penney got their hats, or at least some of them, from Lee. This particular hat shows its age, but I think it's built to last forever. One of these days I may get it cleaned and blocked, but I'm not sure. I probably wouldn't trust anyone but Art Fawcett with it. The sweatband shows a little wear and I wouldn't want to replace it.
I just bought an Akubra Stylemaster which I expect to arrive tomorrow. I've heard good things about Akubra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav