Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see them Kerosene lamps!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Morris G. said:
This one — Rayo No. 0 Hot Blast (on the glass), Rayo No. 75 (on the body) — was hiding in my garage for the past 15 years...and in my parents’ garage for 20+ years before that...and in my grandparents’ garage (I think) for an unknown number of years prior to that. For the past couple years or so, I had been thinking that I really should clean it up — and I finally got around to it this week. Now, it’s properly displayed in my living room. And then, in an effort to learn more about it, I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks! —MG

rayo75.jpg
:eusa_clap

Well, for however long it took, it was worth the wait. Lovely lamp; do you light it ever? These lamps are so lovely when lit. Such warm soft light for a nice evening out on the porch... *Sigh* I miss my porch.:(

shortbow

Practically Family
Me too Morris, I'd like to see a pic of it burning if possible. I had a Dietz hot blast once and could never get it to burn right, no matter how I trimmed the wick. All my cold blasts burn with a nice even tongue of flame, but the hb would never do that for me.

shortbow said:
Me too Morris, I'd like to see a pic of it burning if possible. I had a Dietz hot blast once and could never get it to burn right, no matter how I trimmed the wick. All my cold blasts burn with a nice even tongue of flame, but the hb would never do that for me.

There are several reasons why that might have been the case. Sometimes you have to clean the air tubes as they do get obstructions in them. I had to clean a wasp nest out of my Rayo Hot Blast. What a mess that was! The mud they had used dried quite hard. I had to use a coat hanger to get it all out. :eusa_doh:
Another probem could be the burner itself. Sometimes they get loose and leak air from the wick tube. That will keep them from burning evenly. I had that happen with my great-grandfather's Dietz Little Wizard. A new burner straightened that out.
Anything that affects the air flow through the lantern will make it burn strangely. A hot blast in particular as they really use up every bit of heat and air circulation possible. A cold blast lantern breathes more freely and thus the light given off is brighter. However, I would rather use a hot blast lantern for enclosed areas as they give off less smoke and soot.
I should also mention that I was using my Defiance and Dietz Little Wizard a few nights ago to keep the mosquitoes at bay. They tend to do that quite well when the kerosene is mixed with the citronella old stuff they use in tiki torches. I mix it ten to one. That is enough citronella oil to keep from fouling the wick while still giving off enough scent to keep the bugs at bay. :D

Morris G.

New in Town
Forgotten Man said:
:eusa_clap

Well, for however long it took, it was worth the wait. Lovely lamp; do you light it ever? These lamps are so lovely when lit. Such warm soft light for a nice evening out on the porch... *Sigh* I miss my porch.:(

No, I have yet to light it. But first, I will need to locate a proper wick. Is there anything special that I should know? I think earlier in this thread there might have been some comments about “replacement parts”—including wicks—and fuel (kerosene or lamp oil?). —MG

Morris G. said:
No, I have yet to light it. But first, I will need to locate a proper wick. Is there anything special that I should know? I think earlier in this thread there might have been some comments about “replacement parts”—including wicks—and fuel (kerosene or lamp oil?). —MG

You should be able to find a local source for wicks. Maybe a hardware store or such a place. You first need to figure out what width your wick should be. I think you use a 5/8" or a 1/2" for that lantern but I don't remember offhand.
While you are replacing the wick, check the tank and make sure it is clean inside as well. You'll like want to clean the lamp up so that you can use it without getting dirty yourself so that will likely be in order as well.
Here is a link to a website that has some good advice and perhaps parts if you need them. They are not cheap though. ;) http://www.lanternnet.com/lanterncare.htm

Mike K.

One Too Many
Great thread topic everyone!

I have been thinking about purchasing a Dietz #90 D-Lite Cold Blast Lantern.
Any feedback on the quality, quirks, etc. of these modern production pieces?

shortbow

Practically Family
Good tips James, unfortunately I don't have that lantern anymore, it was a modern Deitz, or I'd check your info. Will sure bear it in mind for the future however.

Mike, the current Dietz lanterns are made in China and have been for lotso years now. They are not the same quality as the old American ones, but are still the best out there, they are used all over the world, you can't go wrong with a Dietz, and when I've gone to them for info or help they've been magnificent.

shortbow said:
Good tips James, unfortunately I don't have that lantern anymore, it was a modern Deitz, or I'd check your info. Will sure bear it in mind for the future however.

Mike, the current Dietz lanterns are made in China and have been for lotso years now. They are not the same quality as the old American ones, but are still the best out there, they are used all over the world, you can't go wrong with a Dietz, and when I've gone to them for info or help they've been magnificent.

A modern dietz is nearly the same thing. The Chinese have the original stamping machinery from Dietz. They make them on the same equipment the originals were made with. The materials they start with and quality control are something completely different though. :rolleyes:
The equipment and such was shipped over there in 1956 if my memory serves correctly. The old lanterns of the same models could use the new burners etc---I think. [huh]

Mike K. said:
Great thread topic everyone!

I have been thinking about purchasing a Dietz #90 D-Lite Cold Blast Lantern.
Any feedback on the quality, quirks, etc. of these modern production pieces?

You might be better served by an original D-lite Dietz. They give a lot more light and parts are plentiful (as are originals on the Bay).
They all have quirks. It is just a matter or knowing how to use them properly. ;)

shortbow

Practically Family
I have two original Dietz Comets which they stopped making in the '30's if memory serves. They are tiny little things, built for trips to the outhouse and such. Unlike the modern ones they, aside from heavier gauge steel and nice attention to detail, have the Dietz logo and the word 'Comet' embossed in the glass of their globes and the logo and 'Made in the United States of America' in various places in the steel. They are 8.25" high.

My Little Wizard is a later lantern, vintage unknown but I think it is one of the early Chinese ones as the details noted above are absent but quality is still there. It works great and is well made. When I first got interested in these I had a number of the current models and all worked very well. I did a lot of research on oil lanterns at the time but have now forgotten most of it, but both period sources and later writers all claimed Dietz as the best.

When camping, I leave the Wizard hanging on a tree in the middle of the camp, it give a nice, soft, warm light, no hiss and bang like the gas lanterns and safe, reliable and trustworthy.

My first Comet had a leaky tank and I contacted Dietz for help. I now can't remember their suggestions for fixing it, but whatever it was it worked. The lady I talked to told me that if I couldn't fix it, I could send it to them and they would fix it free of charge. I was tickled by that.

shortbow said:
I have two original Dietz Comets which they stopped making in the '30's if memory serves. They are tiny little things, built for trips to the outhouse and such. Unlike the modern ones they, aside from heavier gauge steel and nice attention to detail, have the Dietz logo and the word 'Comet' embossed in the glass of their globes and the logo and 'Made in the United States of America' in various places in the steel. They are 8.25" high.

My Little Wizard is a later lantern, vintage unknown but I think it is one of the early Chinese ones as the details noted above are absent but quality is still there. It works great and is well made. When I first got interested in these I had a number of the current models and all worked very well. I did a lot of research on oil lanterns at the time but have now forgotten most of it, but both period sources and later writers all claimed Dietz as the best.

When camping, I leave the Wizard hanging on a tree in the middle of the camp, it give a nice, soft, warm light, no hiss and bang like the gas lanterns and safe, reliable and trustworthy.

My first Comet had a leaky tank and I contacted Dietz for help. I now can't remember their suggestions for fixing it, but whatever it was it worked. The lady I talked to told me that if I couldn't fix it, I could send it to them and they would fix it free of charge. I was tickled by that.

They are very quiet that is for sure. They are also very safe---contrary to the Western movies. If they tip over, the air flow to the burner is cut off and they go out---not catch fire to everything around them. :rolleyes:
For a leaky tank, you can coat it with the same stuff they use for car gas tanks. let it dry and it is ready to go. I have seen that method used to fix old tanks that had decent sized holes in them. They just tape up the hole from the outside, swish the stuff around in the tank, pour off the excess and let dry. It will fill the holes and dry hard.

shortbow

Practically Family
That is a GREAT tip James, thanks a lot. I will write that down in my compendium of arcana for future reference. I've learned a lot hanging around this place.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner