Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see them Kerosene lamps!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I figured since Jamespowers mentioned something about starting a thread about old kerosene lamps, I thought I’d start with this new thread.

The Kerosene lamp is quite a unique collectable and it has played a rather interesting part in history.

To start off, kerosene lanterns were the first thing I collected! I had an interest in the gold rush, the 1800’s and log cabins… you know, frontier stuff.

Well, visiting Disneyland and Knott’s Berry Farm, I recall being a child and looking at all the rustic electrified lanterns adorning so much of the structures in Frontier land and so on. For some reason I loved the soft glow of them, even if they were lit by an electric flickering bulb, it was something I was drawn to.

At the age of 9 years, my dad (after much hounding) bought me a Chinese made cold blast lantern from a local surplus shop. It was my pride! I loved that thing, I took it everywhere I went! One day I was at a friend’s house and I stumbled on some steps… I rolled down the stairs and was pretty much ok… but the glass glob to my lantern was busted! I cried like I had been shot… My poor Mother came to my aid and found that I was ok and cursed me for crying like a stuffed pig when there was no harm to my person… I pointed at my joy with glass shards around… she said it would be fixed… we found a pickle jar that fit in it… it never received a new glob. I still have it just the way it was that day back in 1988… pickle jar and all!

Since then I have acquired many great lanterns… my favorite now are the hot-blast Dietz Hi-low’s… they are really good lamps and produce at least 12-15 candle power. At the time they were new that was much more than one candle!

My folks didn’t allow kerosene in the house and I would fix a candle inside some of my lamps… just to hang around the room like it was a mine shaft from the 1880’s… I was a very careful boy.

Ah, those early days are gone but still love my old lanterns. I have a few of them hanging on my porch that I light when I have company over… this last Halloween was fun, Had many hanging and a few of the red globed Dietz’s around to ad a sense of hazard to the property.

With my hand carved jackolantern on the porch with a sinister pointed teeth grin to one side, and the car parked on the front lawn with a Dietz hi-lo burning with a red globe… it was quite a spooky non “Wal*Mart synthetic approach” to Halloween. Most kids needed the aid of their folks to guide them down the dark driveway.

Here is one photo to start the thread off right, late 30s Dietz Hi-Lo hot blast taken one night wile exploring some abandoned property in San Dimas… the tiled steps it sits are all that remains of an old Spanish home (I’m assuming) at this site.

l_8652649b492a3fca63eba06563cda9d4.jpg

So, till I get more photos up, let's see the Lanterns that are hiding in your garages or attics or maybe in your house!

kerosene lanterns

Yes,they are GREAT,used to collect only railroad lanterns(must have RR on glass and lantern body)conductors lanterns are VERY collectable! I always keep a few around the homestead in case the power goes out,also plenty of firewood...............

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I have a few that are stocked with oil just in case of an emergency, I do need to buy some more lamp oil... it's getting hard to find here in CA! I guess the fire marshals are going nuts about having "flammable" oils in stores... which makes NO SENSE seeing all the hardware stores carry paint thinner and strippers that are MUCH more volatile then purified sudo kerosene!... Jerks!

I found a really neat lamp at a Redlands antique mall a year ago or so... It's old, we're talking turn of the century! And it's in grand shape! We're talkin' light surface rust but, all in tact with the original globe with the thick lip at the top... even has a really old wick! Tossed down $20 bucks and then filled it up! Works like a charm! The neat thing is, it has the very small cap on the tank with the cap!

K

kpreed

Great Idea!

I love lamps like this and have five of them right now. Two are glass bases with oil in them, the others are metal hand lanterns which I use karosene in. 2 are Dietz and one is an Adelake made railroad, but no photos of any, yet!

Ok, ok I just found this. ;) :p
I found my pride and joy Keystone Dark Lantern just a few weeks ago. Fortunately is was listed as a convertable heater. :rolleyes:
These lanterns have always fascinated me. Made for WWI from about 1917 to 1925, these lanterns obviously had a military/ merchant marine use. The Dark portion of th name denotes the fact that there is a shade that can be easily raised. It covers the globe and makes it instantly dark. Perfect to disappear when hunted by a submarine or anything else floating at that time.
There are usually two hold downs that the lantern could be tied down to the deck with. The globes came in red, clear and purportedly green and blue. I have only seen the red and clear in person to make sure they are authentic. ;) Mine is similar to this except mine has a red globe:
darkkystn1.JPG

With the shade up:
darkkystn2.JPG

Forgotten Man said:

Since then I have acquired many great lanterns… my favorite now are the hot-blast Dietz Hi-low’s… they are really good lamps and produce at least 12-15 candle power. At the time they were new that was much more than one candle!

My folks didn’t allow kerosene in the house and I would fix a candle inside some of my lamps… just to hang around the room like it was a mine shaft from the 1880’s… I was a very careful boy.

Ah, those early days are gone but still love my old lanterns. I have a few of them hanging on my porch that I light when I have company over… this last Halloween was fun, Had many hanging and a few of the red globed Dietz’s around to ad a sense of hazard to the property.

With my hand carved jackolantern on the porch with a sinister pointed teeth grin to one side, and the car parked on the front lawn with a Dietz hi-lo burning with a red globe… it was quite a spooky non “Wal*Mart synthetic approach” to Halloween. Most kids needed the aid of their folks to guide them down the dark driveway.

l_8652649b492a3fca63eba06563cda9d4.jpg

So, till I get more photos up, let's see the Lanterns that are hiding in your garages or attics or maybe in your house!

Is that Hi-Lo a square base model or the round base model?
You can easily find replacement globes for just about any lamp really close to you at W.T. Kirkman. ;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Is that Hi-Lo a square base model or the round base model?
You can easily find replacement globes for just about any lamp really close to you at W.T. Kirkman. ;)

That Hy-Lo is a traditional round base. The square base jobs were very large square base... mostly found being used by City departments on construction sites or on road ways during construction or a road closure.

The name Hy-Lo came from Dietz offering this model as a High quality at a low cost. They were introduced in 1912 and were discontinued in 1947. This one I'd assume is from the 30s. The others that have the Y type of guard over the globe are 20s.

They're my favorite hot blast lamp... there are a very simple design; there's no glob lift, just a wire loop that you can push up on to light. The replacement globes are fine, but the originals are the best because they're embossed like the one I pictured with: DIETZ NY "FITZ ALL" or something like that. The replacements aren't as fancy. And sometimes the originals do show up! I found a clear "FITZ ALL" glob for a Hy-Lo or Monarch for 3 bucks! I also see the red ones a lot more... this is due to the fact that more Hy-Lo's and Monarch's were ordered with the red globe. More use for them in the work world.

Forgotten Man said:
That Hy-Lo is a traditional round base. The square base jobs were very large square base... mostly found being used by City departments on construction sites or on road ways during construction or a road closure.

The name Hy-Lo came from Dietz offering this model as a High quality at a low cost. They were introduced in 1912 and were discontinued in 1947. This one I'd assume is from the 30s. The others that have the Y type of guard over the globe are 20s.

They're my favorite hot blast lamp... there are a very simple design; there's no glob lift, just a wire loop that you can push up on to light. The replacement globes are fine, but the originals are the best because they're embossed like the one I pictured with: DIETZ NY "FITZ ALL" or something like that. The replacements aren't as fancy. And sometimes the originals do show up! I found a clear "FITZ ALL" glob for a Hy-Lo or Monarch for 3 bucks! I also see the red ones a lot more... this is due to the fact that more Hy-Lo's and Monarch's were ordered with the red globe. More use for them in the work world.

Exactly! They were used on barriers and such at night. They used red lights to keep them visible and the red color to denote danger.
You can easily find replacement globe originals but your cheap one with the pickle jar in it now needs a new globe. ;)
The fitzall is more for the tall globe lanterns. For some of my favorites like the D-lite, Little Wizard and Little Giant you need a different type of globe.
I have only one Hot Blast lantern---a Rayo No. 90. Man that was a mess when I got it! It took forever to get the wasp nest out of the top tubes. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:
It works fine now though. They had nice brass burners with brass caps---slip fit. :D

Forgotten Man said:

perhaps you should also explain to folks about the difference between a hot blast and cold blast lantern---maybe throw in a bit about the dead flame ones as well. :D

Ok, I'll do the cold blast versus hot blast explanantion then. ;) :p
cold.jpg

This is a cold blast lantern. Called as such due to the air flow being cold fres air. In all tubular lanterns as such, the kerosene vapor mixed with air, in proper ratio, composes the burning mixture. The burner acts as a carburetor to which the side tubes (thus the tubular lantern name) convey properly controlled air in regulated volume. Result: perfect combustion and bright, clean light. A cold-blast lantern, easily the most efficient of all, is constructed so that only fresh, cold fresh air enters the tubes, while the spent air is diverted and expelled.

hot.jpg

This is a typical hot blast lantern. Hot-blast lanterns permit a portion of spent air to recirculate through the tubes. Cold-blast provide about twice the brightness of hot-blast due to better air circulation. Hot blast is an older technology.

!Bej(rPwBWk~$(KGrHqQOKkIErzLU3MPjBK9wb73S6Q~~_35.JPG

This is a Dead-Flame railroad lantern. Dead-flame lanterns take in fresh air through the baffles at bottom, expel spent air at top. Hot and cold-blast lanterns produce much more light than the dead-flame type. Again, this is due to the air circulation and better combustion of the fuel in the other two types.

Ok now what type of lantern is this:
!BekpVU!!2k~$(KGrHqEH-C0ErephKK-4BK9y19lUqw~~_35.JPG

:D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Cold blast are brighter, but they also will burn more kerosene from what I understand... the life of a tank for a typical cold blast is less then a typical hot-bast lamp.

Thanks for going over the two James, oh I mean three! Never knew much about the Railroad types.

Forgotten Man said:
Cold blast are brighter, but they also will burn more kerosene from what I understand... the life of a tank for a typical cold blast is less then a typical hot-bast lamp.

Thanks for going over the two James, oh I mean three! Never knew much about the Railroad types.

Alas, brightness has its costs. ;) :p The Hot Blast tubes are what goes on them first. The tank is still there but the tubes are all rotted out from the hot exhaust. :p
Ok, guess which type the last lantern is someone.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yes, I have the post 1936 model that came in blue with the more curved lines and stepped tank. Came with a red globe... the funny thing is, it cost me $25. Back in 1990 or so, and I still see them for the same price, some times more. The old timer who sold it to me back then said that Dietz used gold in the red glass to keep the ruby red color from fading.

Forgotten Man said:
Yes, I have the post 1936 model that came in blue with the more curved lines and stepped tank. Came with a red globe... the funny thing is, it cost me $25. Back in 1990 or so, and I still see them for the same price, some times more. The old timer who sold it to me back then said that Dietz used gold in the red glass to keep the ruby red color from fading.

I never heard of gold being used. [huh]
I see a few Monarch go for about $10 on eBay lately. I guess it is a sign of the times. [huh]
You have the streamlined Monarch models. The earlier ones were very square looking. My Rayo hot blast has that square tube look. That is not to say that the tubes are square like some of the early Dietz and such. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner