Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see them Kerosene lamps!

A Defiance 200 that I just picked up for $5.

!BdvPj0QBWk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEq5FvmbtNBK6NhHf(cw~~_35.JPG

!BdvPn6QBWk~$(KGrHqMOKj8Eq4mf5s-WBK6NhWcnl!~~_35.JPG

!BdvPlcgB2k~$(KGrHqIOKiwEq4bSsd8jBK6NhNgwRg~~_35.JPG

The globe is incorrect and it needs a new font cap. However it is still in decent shape for something made around 1919. It will get a good cleaning and a new coat of paint for its years of service. This lantern is one of the largest hand lanterns ever made at 15 3/4 inches tall---not including the handle. Finding a new cap might be a little tough but the globes are fairly easy to find---I can use the globe on it for one of my other globeless ones too. ;)

Forgotten Man said:
I wouldn't clean it up too much, I wouldn't paint it... I like the way it looks as it is!

Lanterns should be a little rusty! ;)

I am sort of with you on that. My problem is that I usually store them in a cool dry room. They just rust more if I don't paint them with something. I have clear coated several after cleaning them up to preserve them for the next generation. They can always remove the paint but they can't replace the metal that is rotted away. ;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got to dig through the garage. When we moved up here and bought this house, one of my aunts sent a set of 4 each in 4 colors - chrome, royal blue, red and white. The idea was chichi dinner parties on the deck during the summer at twilight with the lights twinkling around the deck and yard.

Alas...twilight in summer is vastly different in Seattle and Los Angeles. Here, sunset in summer is really late - it's still pretty light out at 10, and dinner's long over and people thinking of heading home long before it's dark enough for candles or oil lamps. And when it is dark enough early enough, it's too cold out, unlike LA or Palm Springs. Like this time of year - you're driving aroudn with the headlights on at 4:30 in the afternoon.

SameRound

New in Town
20091204-54ubnbxeyk4g2c6fqj8y2fetj.jpg

20091204-frwmspqtngqrt4g973nwsm4fk.jpg

....... and here is my fabulous lamp that I found in an antique shop in Karachi. It is a Tilley lamp. It is complete, but the glass is in poor condition. I absolutely wanted to use, this explains the bulb (the oil is too dangerous in a house of course). For processing electric nothing has been punctured or destroyed was very important to keep in the original condition.
I have long believed that it was a lamp that served in the Navy ...... in fact it was on the train. :)

a fine and instructive collection of Tilley lamps and pressure lamps here :
http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/21_Tilley_1.html

http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/index.html

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
SameRound said:
20091204-54ubnbxeyk4g2c6fqj8y2fetj.jpg

20091204-frwmspqtngqrt4g973nwsm4fk.jpg

....... and here is my fabulous lamp that I found in an antique shop in Karachi. It is a Tilley lamp. It is complete, but the glass is in poor condition. I absolutely wanted to use, this explains the bulb (the oil is too dangerous in a house of course). For processing electric nothing has been punctured or destroyed was very important to keep in the original condition.
I have long believed that it was a lamp that served in the Navy ...... in fact it was on the train. :)

a fine and instructive collection of Tilley lamps and pressure lamps here :
http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/21_Tilley_1.html

http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/index.html

Swell Tilley lamp! But, may I make a suggestion? CHANGE THAT BULB!!! lol You'd get a much more pleasing light from a flame styled incandescent bulb then that CFL junk!

SameRound

New in Town
:) :) I Know !
Unfortunately I did not choose : the oil jet nozzle go up high in the lamp. (Bulb is fitted onto the nozzle). This is the easiest solution I found which preserves the original appearance of the lamp.

All suggestions are welcome.;)

You may be able to find some of the more unusual bulbs at a good Lighting / Lamp Store. Rumor has it the California legislature has banned incandescent bulbs for the most part so we may have to order outside the state soon.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
You may be able to find some of the more unusual bulbs at a good Lighting / Lamp Store. Rumor has it the California legislature has banned incandescent bulbs for the most part so we may have to order outside the state soon.

From what I understand, it's the 100 watt variety that is in danger, designer bulbs of lesser wattage will be safe... If CA bans them all together, I'll be makin' a special visit to Sacramento, and it won’t be no social call neither, see! lol

Say, when we were at the Million Dollar Theater to see "It's A Wonderful Life" in a scene that Mr. Potter was talking on the phone from his home office I noticed that chandelier, and it was a gas burning type! You could see the flames burning in it! How neat to notice that, I never did notice that before until I watched it on a larger screen! Has anyone else noticed that?

Forgotten Man said:
From what I understand, it's the 100 watt variety that is in danger, designer bulbs of lesser wattage will be safe... If CA bans them all together, I'll be makin' a special visit to Sacramento, and it won’t be no social call neither, see! lol

Say, when we were at the Million Dollar Theater to see "It's A Wonderful Life" in a scene that Mr. Potter was talking on the phone from his home office I noticed that chandelier, and it was a gas burning type! You could see the flames burning in it! How neat to notice that, I never did notice that before until I watched it on a larger screen! Has anyone else noticed that?

I had not noticed that. Good eyes there. I'll check it out next time I watch the movie.
I am going down to the local Home Depot and stocking up on regular bulbs. Those CFL things are not something I want around young children. If they break---all that toxic mercury gets released. Neither the government nor the producing companies have figured out what to do with these things once they have burned out either. Imagine them breaking in your garbage can or breaking in the dumpster. I wouldn't want to be a garbage man (sanitation engineer;) ) nowadays. :eek:
Mad as a Hatter anyone?:eek: :eusa_doh:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
CFL's are all made in China, GE has closed light bulb plants here in the US thus, costing US jobs... why can't they make them here in their existing plants? Because they want to make more money when they can save money by manufacturing those toxic things overseas.

Typical.:rolleyes:

So, let's see some more Kerosene rusty riggs!

Forgotten Man said:
CFL's are all made in China, GE has closed light bulb plants here in the US thus, costing US jobs... why can't they make them here in their existing plants? Because they want to make more money when they can save money by manufacturing those toxic things overseas.

Typical.:rolleyes:

So, let's see some more Kerosene rusty riggs!

Then again, that is where Dietz lanterns are made today as well. :rolleyes:

Morris G.

New in Town
A ‘garage treasure’ finds its rightful place in the living room

This one — Rayo No. 0 Hot Blast (on the glass), Rayo No. 75 (on the body) — was hiding in my garage for the past 15 years...and in my parents’ garage for 20+ years before that...and in my grandparents’ garage (I think) for an unknown number of years prior to that. For the past couple years or so, I had been thinking that I really should clean it up — and I finally got around to it this week. Now, it’s properly displayed in my living room. And then, in an effort to learn more about it, I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks! —MG

rayo75.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner