Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

Nathan

Familiar Face
KilroyCD said:
Nathan, that is another cool vintage bike! I see that this Typhoon has the "Camelback" or DX-style frame. All others I've seen have the cantilever frame like your Phantom. Nice bike!
Kilroy, the "camelback" frame was only used on the Typhoon for one year--1962--Makes em easy to date....:)

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Got this yesterday, for my wife, at ~$90. Here it is in as-found condition:

DSC08515.jpg

DSC08518-2.jpg

DSC08519.jpg

DSC08522.jpg

DSC08524-2.jpg

Norwegian 1940 model DBS, ("Den Beste Sykkel" - "The Best Bicycle"), dated from the Schweinfurt Torpedo back hub, - these are always dated by year and month.

It needs a NOS chain, tyres, front brake wire, grips, a new toolkit pouch or straps for it, and the wife wants one of those wicker baskets for the handlebars. We'll keep the original leather seat for the time being - depending on how comfy it is. If the code lock can be cracked, I'll put it back on. Looks promising.

The skirt protector was rotten, so I ripped it out, and the toolkit pouch is dried and rotten, particularly the straps, so I'll have to get some new ones. Luckily I know a guy who has a huge pile of old NOS bike parts - PM me if you need his e-mail.

It would have been a perfect prop in this film.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
KilroyCD said:
Nice bike! I especially like the fishnet style skirt guard. You said that was rotten, are you planning to install a new skirt guard?

Yes, if I can find one - my wife likes it. The best ones are sort of rainbow-striped. Very Paul Smith. There will also be a wicker basket, I'm told.

It's at this place, being given the spa treatment. (Norwegian-only webpage, sorry)

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Western Flyer

Hi all, this is my new purchase of a Columbia Special Edition. Unfortunately I bought it under the guise of being a 50's model, now I know its not. It initially was a bummer but I got over it only to find out next that it is a 16.5" frame, from reading this forum. Oh well, I am 6'1" so I am a little disappointed. but if I stand over it I still have about 2" over the cross bar. These seem to be kind of rare so I dont know if I will be able to get a larger frame. My other bike is a Gary Fisher Advanced which I put 1,000 mi. on in 06. After seeing these I just had to have one. Thanks for all of the info.
3987570145_2175f10a11.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
MCPRE said:
Hi all, this is my new purchase of a Columbia Special Edition. Unfortunately I bought it under the guise of being a 50's model, now I know its not. It initially was a bummer but I got over it only to find out next that it is a 16.5" frame, from reading this forum. Oh well, I am 6'1" so I am a little disappointed. but if I stand over it I still have about 2" over the cross bar. These seem to be kind of rare so I dont know if I will be able to get a larger frame. My other bike is a Gary Fisher Advanced which I put 1,000 mi. on in 06. After seeing these I just had to have one. Thanks for all of the info.
3987570145_2175f10a11.jpg
I have one of these as well, and it was a limited edition so the value is likely to rise. It's a good repop of a 1950s Western Flyer, made by Columbia. I believe only one frame size was offered.
fe03002.jpg

I did change the saddle on mine...

KilroyCD

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
"A search for "Columbia Bicycles" on the internet machine, turned up this beauty!!!"

125thAnnivBike_med.jpg

This bike was a reissue of the 1941 Columbia Superb, one of the nicest looking bikes they built (IMHO). I have one of these. Mine is from the early part of the run, when they were made in the Mohawk Maroon color.
ColumbiaF9T41.jpg

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Hey Kilroy, thanks for the post, I was hoping that maybe that was the only size offered, funny. Ive searched the web for info on these and have come up next to nil, any hits you know of. I just put on a faux leather saddle (original is in EC and feels like IRON), and a pair of all whites (this pic is from Craigslist), Ill post it once its ready. I have a friend who is going to give me the 3 speed hub off of her Suede, I probably will have it relaced and installed. I wasnt going to do that until I found out it was a repro. Thanks

KilroyCD

One Too Many
MCPRE said:
Hey Kilroy, thanks for the post, I was hoping that maybe that was the only size offered, funny. Ive searched the web for info on these and have come up next to nil, any hits you know of. I just put on a faux leather saddle (original is in EC and feels like IRON), and a pair of all whites (this pic is from Craigslist), Ill post it once its ready. I have a friend who is going to give me the 3 speed hub off of her Suede, I probably will have it relaced and installed. I wasnt going to do that until I found out it was a repro. Thanks
Would that be a 3-speed with a coaster brake? Sturmey Archer did make those. Otherwise, you'd have to fit caliper brakes.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
"One was going to ask Santa for a new Polo Pony, this Christmas, but one is having a change of heart!, its streamlined perfection, do admit?"

Oh, it's a beautiful bike for sure. Since they have been out of production for a little while now, I'm not sure if the distributor has any left. You could always try to find one on eBay like I did. In fact, that Columbia was a Christmas gift to myself a few years ago.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Hi Kilroy, I finally got a new pic together with my new Whities and saddle, I repainted the rust on my front fender, cleaned her up a bit and she looks brand new! I found on craigslist the maker of these, I should have wrote it down. The mfr has two names, I still have not found anything on the exact date they were made
4066931270_826af3c481.jpg

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Post said that it was "sold" by Hammacher Schlemmer, built by columbia mfg co., still no definite date. I have seen them selling for as much as $450.00!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
MCPRE said:
Post said that it was "sold" by Hammacher Schlemmer, built by columbia mfg co., still no definite date. I have seen them selling for as much as $450.00!
Hmmm. I would find it odd that Hammacher Schlemmer would sell it as the Western Flyer name is trademarked to Western Auto Stores. It was definitely made by Westfield Manufacturing (better known as Columbia Bicycles). It is a reproduction of a mid 1950s Western Flyer, and they were made in the late 1980s. There is a pair on eBay right now that was made in 1989. http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-WOMENS-WES...902QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=220420412902

MCPRE

Familiar Face
I saw those, thats a real bargain. I drove to Akron from Columbus, about 2 hrs and 20 minutes to pick mine up.
Now I am thinking of going down to Cinci to get a womens just like it for the wife. ($100.00).
Thanks for the info, with the winter coming in Im going to have to wait until next year to get some good riding in.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran