Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

KilroyCD

One Too Many
JRB said:
Chris, I'll be across from you with the Big Red One. One of our members picked up an original WWII military bicycle at a yard sale in NJ. If he brings it, I'll make sure to show it to you. You may have seen it already since he's a regular at Ft. Miles.

Jack

Jack, I didn't see the bike at the Ft Miles April event. In fact, three of the four reenactor bikes I saw there were ones I restored. I'll be anxious to see it, and I hope he brings it. Do you know if it's a Columbia or a Huffman?

JRB

New in Town
Chris, I don't remember. He showed it to me real quick at FIG. It has thick spokes and he said the serial numbers underneath the front crank set are similar to those on The Liberator web site. I'll e-mail him tonight to get more info. The final test will be showing it to you. I told him that if it is the real McCoy, he better put a lock on it!

Jack

KilroyCD

One Too Many
It's finished

The Huffman is finally finished. Here is a "before" photo:
100_0520.jpg

Now here is the finished product:
100_1936.jpg

It's hard to believe it's the same bike!

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Here's an old Schwinn I found while answering a CL ad for a rototiller. The owner told me it was his first bike-his father bought it for him in 1954.

S6000233.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
sean138 said:
Here is my latest.
DSC02754.jpg

That was July 1.
DSC02777.jpg

DSC02785.jpg

Believe it's a 1935 Elgin. Has some not original parts but it's a rider!
Sean
That's a nice looking bike. It definitely is an Elgin, and I'm wondering what the serial number is on the bottom bracket (where the crank goes through the frame). I can possibly pin down the model year because it appears to be a Westfield (Columbia) built example like my '36 Elgin.
jy18_022.jpg

sean138

New in Town
KilroyCD said:
That's a nice looking bike. It definitely is an Elgin, and I'm wondering what the serial number is on the bottom bracket (where the crank goes through the frame). I can possibly pin down the model year because it appears to be a Westfield (Columbia) built example like my '36 Elgin.
jy18_022.jpg
Hello Kilroy, Thanks. I looked at yours a few times while working on mine. I got the colors reversed when I repainted the headbadge. Just left it, looks ok.
The sn is 0101791. One of the guys over at RRB thinks it's a H.P. Snyder made frame. Any opinions are welcome though. All of your bikes are fantastic!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Yours may indeed be an H.P. Snyder-built bike, as I now see a few minor differences in your frame compared to mine. The rear drop-outs are one of them. The serial number also doesn't match any of the Westfield (Columbia) serials, as Westfield-built bike serials will begin with a letter. Your fenders are of the design that would put your bike in the 1933 to 1935 range.
The green and cream scheme was a very popular color combination for the mid '30s Elgins, and your bike looks great in it.

Nathan

Familiar Face
Newie...Again!! 1949 Black Phantom and Friend

bikes001.jpg
Here's another try at posting this bike...It's a 1949 Schwinn Black Phantom. I've had the bike for 15 yrs. and I'm still not quite done with the resto. The tank still needs new chrome...I'm also going to try and upload a picture of the 36 Road Master I did for my wife. It has a laced rear fender to keep the riders skirt out of the spokes...Here goes nothin------
BlackPhantomjpg006.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Very nice bikes! Welcome to the Lounge, and welcome to another vintage bike enthusiast / restorer. The Roadmaster is quite nice. It's a 24" model isn't it? What kind of material did you use for the laced skirt guard? I have a '36 Elgin that I plan to eventually finish soon, and it has the holes in the rear fender for the laced guard. I plan to use a 1/8" diameter cotton cord (off-white in color) for that one.
The Schwinn is beautiful as well, and if you hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed the chrome on the tank needing some attention. Beautiful bikes!

sean138

New in Town
Nathan said:
bikes001.jpg
Here's another try at posting this bike...It's a 1949 Schwinn Black Phantom. I've had the bike for 15 yrs. and I'm still not quite done with the resto. The tank still needs new chrome...I'm also going to try and upload a picture of the 36 Road Master I did for my wife. It has a laced rear fender to keep the riders skirt out of the spokes...Here goes nothin------
BlackPhantomjpg006.jpg
Welcome! Nice bicycles!

Nathan

Familiar Face
KilroyCD said:
Very nice bikes! Welcome to the Lounge, and welcome to another vintage bike enthusiast / restorer. The Roadmaster is quite nice. It's a 24" model isn't it? What kind of material did you use for the laced skirt guard? I have a '36 Elgin that I plan to eventually finish soon, and it has the holes in the rear fender for the laced guard. I plan to use a 1/8" diameter cotton cord (off-white in color) for that one.
The Schwinn is beautiful as well, and if you hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed the chrome on the tank needing some attention. Beautiful bikes!
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Kilroy, the Roadmaster is a 26" bike. I painted it in colors my wife picked out so it's in no way a true "resto." The burgandy color is kind of metalic. The fender is laced with a dark burgandy ribbon that again my wife picked out. I think it looks very cool though. I bought the clips that you lace thru from Memory Lane. They mount on your axle nuts. I think they called them "fender looms." I also did an early 50's boys Roadmaster in these same colors to match this bike but I've never really liked it. I'm thinking of re-doing it in a more traditional color... Again, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll post more bikes when I get a chance...

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
Question for Killroycd

Hello, I am rather new to this forum, but am wishing I had found it a long time ago. I had some questions about the bikes. The first is where can someone find the small engine kit like you put on your bike? The other question is do you ever restore bikes on the side? I inherated two old bikes, (Not even sure what they are anymore) and was thinking it would be real cool to come back from my deployment to a working bike. Right now there in a wagon shed id Grove City PA. Thanks for your time,

Edward

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Edward_Lindey said:
Hello, I am rather new to this forum, but am wishing I had found it a long time ago. I had some questions about the bikes. The first is where can someone find the small engine kit like you put on your bike? The other question is do you ever restore bikes on the side? I inherated two old bikes, (Not even sure what they are anymore) and was thinking it would be real cool to come back from my deployment to a working bike. Right now there in a wagon shed id Grove City PA. Thanks for your time,

Edward
Hello Edward, and welcome to the Lounge!
There are a number of small engine kits available for bikes, and in fact I'm a dealer/distributor for the EZM kits. Oddly enough, I haven't posted any photos of the EZMotorbike here yet.
The kit engine I put in my '46 Columbia shown earlier in this thread is a 48cc two-cycle GruBee engine. Engines of this variety (but varying brands) are readily available on eBay, but caveat emptor when dealing there. Some dealers have good products and service, some don't. I can make a couple of suggestions, or you can check out the vendor reviews on the Motoredbikes.com forum (www.motoredbikes.com) .
To answer your second question, yes, I do restore bikes on the side. I've restored bikes for others, including the Huffman shown on my post from June 4.
Okay, since I haven't posted a shot of the EZMotorbike yet, here it is. This is a shot that taken right after its first test ride a couple months ago, and the bike didn't have lights or mirrors yet. This is a four-cycle kit unlike the engine on my '46 Columbia. It's fitted to a Sun Retro Classic Cruiser.
100_1823.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot