Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's show off some vintage instruments!

Rundquist

A-List Customer
All I've got at the moment are crappy ebay pictures. This is my King Silver Sonic 3b Trombone frome the early sixties. I've had this horn for a little over a year.

47_1_b-vi.jpg

a8_1_b-vi.jpg

f6_1_b-vi.jpg

f3_1_b-vi.jpg

76_1_b-vi.jpg

This is Jess Oliver with his creation: The Ampeg Baby Bass
I have one just like it from the mid 60's. Azola basses offered a licensed repro of this bass, but it didn't sound as good.

0f_3-vi.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Thanks, Mysterygal. I should do more justice to that collection by practicing. But I'm between bands and that always saps my ambition. I tend to spend my time teaching, fixing cars, etc. Instead of practicing like I should!

I've been admiring that lovely King trombone, the Ampeg Baby Bass (those are rare chickens, for those of you not familiar with bass instruments), and I love Absinthe_1900's Gibson SG. He has soem very nice 60's gear.

Hey Absinthe_1900, tell us more about that Univox Uni-Vibe "that was once owned by a left handed guitarist from Seattle."

That would be the same left-handed guitarist who played the national anthem at a gig in upstate New York late in the 60's, wouldn't it?

qwerty

Familiar Face
Pilgrim said:
This may be overkill, but here's my wall of guitars....

WOG.jpg

I hope that those guitars are not there just for decoration. If you do not play them you might as well give them away.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
If it's anything like my collection of instruments (probably near a dozen, last I counted) I do play them all. Sure, some get played more than others (I don't use my Ric 12 for everything) but they all get play time. Sometimes they go into rotation. I love vintage instruments and amps, and though some are highly collectible, I enjoy them for the collection value just as much as I love playing them.

I will admit that I go through phases where I don't play a certain guitar for a long time, but I'm also that way with the music I listen to. Just because I don't constantly spin one single CD every day doesn't mean I won't pull it out of its case down the line. Heck, I may as well get rid of that CD, right?;) I agree most instruments should get played, but if someone collects them for the sake of collecting only, what's wrong with that? Is it any different than collecting vintage clothing or any vintage item? Why keep that 1930's tuxedo if you only wear it once a year? Come to think of it, Jimi Hendrix's guitars aren't getting played any more, so they might as well give them to me.;)

I guess I am one of those people who have a collection of instruments that never get played at all. From my father's guitar to my great Grandfather's viola, none of them get played simply because I do not know how. Would I ever get rid of them? Not on your life. The people who last played those instruments are my family. It is sort of a link to them. I remember them playing them and I don't sell my memories unless I was really, really, REALLY desperate. So far, God has seen fit that I haven't gotten to that point yet.
The violins, steel guitars, mandolins, violas, guitars and others stay with me. :D

Regards to all,

J

P.S. If the museum wanted to give me Hendricks guitar maybe I would learn to play. :p

Chas

One Too Many
I just realized one of my life's ambitions. I am the extremely proud owner of a 1936 Conn 30M "Conqueror" Tenor. Not my pic, but from the fellow I bought it from.

She's a monster - big, big sound but much more demanding of airflow than my previous horn. I can definitely grow old with this instrument.
30M275B.JPG

30M275D.JPG

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Boy I wish I had a vintage instrument.

I have a Yamaha grand piano from 1989; hardly vintage!

But my former piano teacher has a big, spanking Richard Lipp & Sohn upright piano from like, 1910. Original ivory keys and everything.

I wish I had that piano. It's so lovely.

Eyemo

Practically Family
This is my 1930 bass drum...ignor the art, It was a band I played for...
The previouse owner signed it, back in 1938.

DSCN9992006.jpg

DSCN9994008.jpg

DSCN9987001.jpg

poetman

A-List Customer
I have this jazz kit that is a reproduction of Gretsch's famous 60's era round badge drums:

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=120th

I also have a 60's era original Gretsch kit (with a 20" instead of 18" bass drum), but I'm saving to recover them. I've been playing drums since I was 3--23 years!! Jazz is my first love, with a little gospel when the occasion arises.

Levallois

Practically Family
Chas said:
I just realized one of my life's ambitions. I am the extremely proud owner of a 1936 Conn 30M "Conqueror" Tenor. Not my pic, but from the fellow I bought it from.

She's a monster - big, big sound but much more demanding of airflow than my previous horn. I can definitely grow old with this instrument.
30M275B.JPG

30M275D.JPG

Chas,

I have a Conn Connqueror just like yours - serial #279xxx - so a 1937? that I got from an uncle who was a musician. I may have to learn how to play the tenor saxaphone - it's in a Conn case with all kinds of mouthpieces - the only difference is that my Conn does not have engraving inside the horn opening (sorry I don't know the term) like yours does. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

John

Levallois

Practically Family
My Conn Conqueror Tenor Sax made 1937 in original Conn case - the silver keys have tarnished - I don't play but I admire the workmanship:

ConnConqueror2.jpg

ConnConnqueror3.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My old '74 J-50 Delux. One of the original tuners broke when the guitar was knocked over at a way-too-crazy party in 1976. In those days, I was living in Chapel Hill, so I took it down to Oxbow Music on Franklin Street. A young guy named Mike Cross, who worked there when he wasn't recording, suggested that I replace the original tuners with the Schallers you see on it today.

The old girl was my mainstay acoustic from the mid-seventies until this past October...when I finally broke down and bought a spanking new HD-28.

janbirds002-1.jpg

janbirds003-1.jpg

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot