Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's show off some vintage instruments!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Goldklang Mandriola from the 1920's/30's.

Four triple courses of strings, tuned like a mandolin (GDAE).
Some nice abalone inlays.

Goldklang-Mandriola.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
You can find some info on the mandriola right here.

In the early 20th century, mandolin orchestras were all the rage in Germany and Goldklang produced a lot of these instruments, even though they are quite hard to find these days.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Any vintage flutes lurking around here? I wish I had one; sadly, I think a picture on this thread is the closest I will ever be to owning one.

--flute

Chas

One Too Many
Your uncle left you a fine instrument- many consider the Conn Conqueror the best vintage tenor of the 20th Century. It is a real pity that it isn't being played, so you should really consider taking up the sax. It's not the easiest instrument, but it's very rewarding all the same. I have the exact same case - mine has an insert for a clarinet on top of the inner box lid. Very cool. I also see that you have some nice vintage mouthpieces there- I see a vintage Otto Link and a couple of hard rubber pieces. Very nice. I use a Conn Eagle, which was probably the same model of mouthpiece that was originally sold with the 30M.

Levallois said:
My Conn Conqueror Tenor Sax made 1937 in original Conn case - the silver keys have tarnished - I don't play but I admire the workmanship:

ConnConqueror2.jpg

ConnConnqueror3.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Zohar said:
I'll try to take a picture of my 1930's King bass fiddle sometime today. My brother just finished rebuilding it, and all that's left is to sand and shellac it.

In the years just before and just after the War, King Bass fiddles were imported from Germany by Scherl & Roth, and private labeled. King and Reynolds were brands of the H. N. White Company. After Mrs. White sold
the business to interests dominated by Scherl & Roth in 1965 the firm introduced several lines of low-priced brass instruments (analogous to the cheap imported fiddles flogged by Roth), and the quality of the company's high-end products suffered. For forty years the firm has not made the like of their world-famous Reynolds Argentum trumpets and cornets, for example.

My maternal grandfather worked for the firm as an instrument maker from 1946 until his retirement (at the age of 77) in 1969. He loathed the new management, as they had no care for craftsmanship.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Forgot to mention that I've had that Weymann since 1964. It was a basket case when I bought it - a box full of parts and a neck with a broken headstock. I restored it, and while a lot of banjos have passed through my hands over the years, including some more exotic instruments like an Orpheum #3 and a couple of fancy S.S.Stewarts, it always came down to this one being the keeper.

Warbaby said:
Forgot to mention that I've had that Weymann since 1964. It was a basket case when I bought it - a box full of parts and a neck with a broken headstock. I restored it, and while a lot of banjos have passed through my hands over the years, including some more exotic instruments like an Orpheum #3 and a couple of fancy S.S.Stewarts, it always came down to this one being the keeper.

This one looks like a keeper. :eusa_clap

Warbaby

One Too Many
Not actually an instrument, but certainly vintage - this wood and steel wire folding harmonica holder is about the earliest one I've ever seen (hey HarpPlayerGene - are you watching this thread?). Unfortunately, my harp playing talent is close to zero and even less if I'm trying to play the guitar at the same time. I just keep it around cuz it's so cool.

HarpHolder2.jpg

HarpHolder4.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
Here's the proverbial Hail Mary shot in the dark: I've got a 1927 Vega Model M that needs a new five string neck. Anybody have one lying around?:eek:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
Your uncle left you a fine instrument- many consider the Conn Conqueror the best vintage tenor of the 20th Century. It is a real pity that it isn't being played, so you should really consider taking up the sax. It's not the easiest instrument, but it's very rewarding all the same. I have the exact same case - mine has an insert for a clarinet on top of the inner box lid. Very cool. I also see that you have some nice vintage mouthpieces there- I see a vintage Otto Link and a couple of hard rubber pieces. Very nice. I use a Conn Eagle, which was probably the same model of mouthpiece that was originally sold with the 30M.

TAKE up the saxophone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAOrBGE7PL4:p

Just kidding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot