Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk Irish Whiskey....

Ah , a huge sherried whisky, at a reasonable price too....if you like that you should (and probably have ) also take a crack at Aberlour A' Bunadh....

I didn't like the Aberlour quite as much.
Glenfarclas is one of those old brands that makes the single malt and then worries about the price. Just about all of their offerings are super reasonable compared to their competitors---especially the older incarnations. It isn't about packaging and marketing to them. :p

I'm thinking about doing that myself. But I'd like to look over an issue before doing so. The Irish whiskey issue sounded perfect. I may go online and order the back issue.

It has a mix of every kind of whiskey. I dislike most bourbon with a passion so I gloss over that stuff but generally I like it from cover to cover. It only kills me when I read about something I can't get in this country. :p

Edward

Bartender
My history with "the Irish" started with regular Jameson. Then a friend convinced me to try regular Bushmills and I made the switch. (Was a bit disheartened to learn that my beloved Bushmills was a Northern Ireland product instead of from the former Republic).

The Republic of Ireland is still the Republic that was declared by Padraig Pearse on the steps of the GPO on Easter Monday, 1916, or as created/recognised as of Easter Monday 1949 by the British Parliament in Westminster, under the auspices of the Ireland Act 1948... delete according to personal tribal bias and political opinion. Ain't no former about it. Mind you, with the way the Euro is going... ;)

Bushmills whiskey itself long predates the Republic. The modern distillery traces its roots to the 1608 grant of a licence by James I to Sir Thomas Phillipps, permitting the latter to distill spirits. It is, however, believed that distilling in that part of Ireland goes back to at least 1276. It's the finest whiskey ever I've had, Bushmills - particularly the 16 year malt that can only be picked up in the distillery itself, if memory serves (well worth a visit if you ever get the chance). I've never had a bad product from the Bushmills distillery. Of them all, that's the one I'd keep most for sipping, I think. Partly a tribal loyalty, I'll allow, as I grew up not far from the distillery (in US terms.... ninety minutes' drive is, of course, the other side of the world to half of the Six Counties folks who live in tiny, three-mile universes! lol ). I enjoy all the other Irish whiskeys too. When I was younger I went through a phase on insisting on only drinking it neat, but these days I lean more to a ginger mixer. In a cocktail, though, I'm less picky about brand, as I maintain that the purity of flavour matters a little less when mixed.

Hi

Jameson's is the only Irish I buy. Most Irish isn't overboard on flavor and Jameson's is usually both inexpensive and good. If I want to spend the bigger $, I'll buy Talisker, Laphrioag, or one of the Glen's.

Later

Can't agree with your general position on the Irish, but I think that probably comes down to personal pallette. I find a lot of Scotch too rough to the taste for me. I had one - wish I could remember the label now - once that had all the finesse of Buckfast. You're bang on the money with Jamesons, though. Grand drop of stuff for a very reasonable fee, especially over here where it seems to be significantly more common than the Bush.

For what it's worth, for any Jamesons fanciers in the UK, Sainsbury's Supermarket's own-brand "Irish Single Malt Whiskey" is very good at a substantial saving against the cost of any of the branded options. It is bottled in Ireland, although they don't specify by whom. That said, it is a narrow field with only four (I think?) significant commercial distilleries on the island... it has to be made by someone good. I have recently had my long-time suspicion that it is a Jamesons product confirmed - strictly off the record, of course. Highly recommended for an evening tipple.

You have it easy. Try ordering this:

feckinirishwhiskey.jpg

Ha! I've never seen that one (Portaferry... I think my folks had a caravan there for a bit, a long time ago...).

hatguy1

One Too Many
The Republic of Ireland is still the Republic that was declared by Padraig Pearse on the steps of the GPO on Easter Monday, 1916, or as created/recognised as of Easter Monday 1949 by the British Parliament in Westminster, under the auspices of the Ireland Act 1948... delete according to personal tribal bias and political opinion. Ain't no former about it. Mind you, with the way the Euro is going... ;)

Silly me. What wuz I thinkin'? I thought the Republic was the form of govt before full independence. Sorry, 'bout that, lads. Bein' proudly part-Irish (and sadly not full-blooded Irish) no offense was intended, I assure you.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Can't agree with your general position on the Irish, but I think that probably comes down to personal pallette. I find a lot of Scotch too rough to the taste for me. I had one - wish I could remember the label now - once that had all the finesse of Buckfast. You're bang on the money with Jamesons, though. Grand drop of stuff for a very reasonable fee, especially over here where it seems to be significantly more common than the Bush.

Isn't Irish generally distilled three times to most Scotches twice? I know there are exceptions but maybe it could partly explain the roughness on your palate. I've had some vile Scotch too that even if distilled an infinite number of times would remain stubbornly vile --a Ledoig (sp?) which proudly claimed to be reminiscent of creosote--indeed I used this one on my garden fence-- and a Dufftown that I wouldn't even dare to paint fences with... Personally I love the standard 10 yr old Bushmills, preferring it to its 15 yr old sister, but do not care for Jamesons at all --even before they swamped the UK cinema/TV with their egregious feckin' adverts. As you say it's all about personal palates.... and the quest.....

Isn't Irish generally distilled three times to most Scotches twice? I know there are exceptions but maybe it could partly explain the roughness on your palate. I've had some vile Scotch too that even if distilled an infinite number of times would remain stubbornly vile --a Ledoig (sp?) which proudly claimed to be reminiscent of creosote--indeed I used this one on my garden fence-- and a Dufftown that I wouldn't even dare to paint fences with... Personally I love the standard 10 yr old Bushmills, preferring it to its 15 yr old sister, but do not care for Jamesons at all --even before they swamped the UK cinema/TV with their egregious feckin' adverts. As you say it's all about personal palates.... and the quest.....

As I have always said, there is a Scotch for every taste. Obviously you don't like the Islay variety. Try the Lowlands. They are more floral and honeyed. Speyside is also a good choice for those with an aversion to smoky and briny tastes. If you like a bit more without much smoky taste then go for a Highland. You can also try those from other islands like Jura. McClelland's puts out various characteristic scotches by region for a decent price. Try them and see what you like.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Thanks James, you're right of course--there is enormous variety and in fact I've tried something from all regions from Highland Park down to Campeltown. Actually I used to particularly love the big Islays, Ardbeg 17 year old was a great favourite and Lagavulin and Laphroaig Quarter Cask too---but eventually I developed some kind of allergy to the huge number of phenols and couldn't have more than a very limited amount without suffering grievously the next day....that moved me on to mainly Speysides and Lowlands ... Springbank 15 y.o. became my new main choice....nowadays I go for Auchentoshan Valinch and Balblair as my standbys, both from Bourbon casks with that vanilla/toffee slant ...but always ready to try something different and may creep back into the Islays via Bunnahabhain or Bruichladdich.....

Thanks James, you're right of course--there is enormous variety and in fact I've tried something from all regions from Highland Park down to Campeltown. Actually I used to particularly love the big Islays, Ardbeg 17 year old was a great favourite and Lagavulin and Laphroaig Quarter Cask too---but eventually I developed some kind of allergy to the huge number of phenols and couldn't have more than a very limited amount without suffering grievously the next day....that moved me on to mainly Speysides and Lowlands ... Springbank 15 y.o. became my new main choice....nowadays I go for Auchentoshan Valinch and Balblair as my standbys, both from Bourbon casks with that vanilla/toffee slant ...but always ready to try something different and may creep back into the Islays via Bunnahabhain or Bruichladdich.....

I can tell you that Bruichladdich is the most non Islay of the Islays. :p

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Well yes-that's precisely why I'll be using it to get gently back into the island's produce---but don't forget they also make the Octomore which is 167 ppm--possibly the most heavily peated whisky in the world.... Bunnahabhain is also a gentler, less pungent Islay....the Laddie is also now experimenting with some rare, tiny production, local barleys which is interesting.... have you tried the Bere or the Viking ones ?

hatguy1

One Too Many
Redbreast is one of my favorites as well. :p Then again, I like the odd brands too---Tyrconnell and Connemara. :cheers1:

You know; I had some Red Breast once and wasn't impressed (as I'd reported earlier in this string). However.... This past week, after having read someone's earlier posting about Red Breast being meant for sipping, I ordered some to sip. GOOD stuff when taken slowly like that.

Thanks to whomever amongst ya it was that enlightened me to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner