Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk straw....Balibuntal?

vivaciousvivo

New in Town
Hey, boys in the back room.....
Anyone that can fill me in on different straws, Balibuntal in particular? Also, the brand of Hopkins. I can't find info on this hat!
Vivacious

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Palm Hats

kol_largedk.jpg

Balibuntal is palm.
???

Palm like this?

vivaciousvivo

New in Town
Nooooooo.......it is a fine straw. But I haven't seen one like it on the web yet. Nor the brand of "The Hopkins"....Baltimore. Google that and you get all kind of Johns Hopkins web sites!
Vivacious

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Balibuntals and Parabuntals

These come from the Phillipines and are pretty good. They sell them at Strand Hatters in Sydney but they prefer the Panamas for longevity. I have had a few of the cheaper ones which were great and sold by chemists for AUD30 now unavailable from them and cost AUD150 in hatters.

vivaciousvivo

New in Town
cookie said:
These come from the Phillipines and are pretty good. They sell them at Strand Hatters in Sydney but they prefer the Panamas for longevity. I have had a few of the cheaper ones which were great and sold by chemists for AUD30 now unavailable from them and cost AUD150 in hatters.

Cookie,
By chemists do you mean at a drug store? Sorry, I am such a yankee! Are the hats old ones that you know of? Or are they currently made? I found an old one, and am trying to research it.
VV

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Buntals

Yes - in the drugstores - private ones.

They did not advertise them as that but they were called Lucban hats.

They had a stiffening wire in the brim..

They suddenly disappeared - maybe a price point problem - that's all modern chemists are interested in these days - turnover.

I just received this no-name Italian hat. It’s the lightest hat I’ve ever held...by a large margin. I was thinking about putting in a leather sweat, but I don’t want to weigh it down and the added thickness of the leather would no doubt ruin the now perfect fit.

67f7afd720d77b9bdb0d3d4b5e1387ca.jpg

473005b1a69b21d7e00f0d43f07d1d99.jpg

30efe819a97f6e8071f8752e677b5fb7.jpg

42f3cfea5730ef7573083eee392b2d6b.jpg

4f93818a5d64b69044becec5ed10030e.jpg

I’ve read conflicting information on balibuntal but I’m an instant fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know of balibuntal as a Buri palm woven hat from the Philippines. Perhaps this was imported by and sold from Italy, also known for trade in imported straw hats. It can be a very lightweight material. Is this a vintage hat?

I know of balibuntal as a Buri palm woven hat from the Philippines. Perhaps this was imported by and sold from Italy, also known for trade in imported straw hats. It can be a very lightweight material. Is this a vintage hat?

Thanks, Alan. It’s a used hat, but I don’t know about vintage. The seller was not the original owner and knew nothing about the hat. There’s nothing under the fabric sweatband. It doesn’t have the vibe of an old hat, if you know what I mean? I don’t have a scale to weigh the hat but it’s only a few grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy