Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's Jackets...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I bought a jacket and jeans from Wrangler's limited edition 'Cowboy' line about 6 years ago- vintage fit, eith wider, roomier jeans and a very snug fitting jacket with skinny arms. They're pretty good but apparently only made them for one season. Might be able to find them somewhere or make some enquiries.

You can get 'vintage' Wrangler now, made by the same people who make the 'vintage Lees, Edwin, in Japan. They make the late '40s styles, button and zipper jeans, two jackets and a shirt- all nice stuff but in the price league of the Levis and Lees-

B
T'

matei

One Too Many
Uufff... I am reading this thread and wishing I didn't bin all my old Levi's jackets years ago - when I suddenly decided that I was over that "phase"! They'd be worth something now...

Wranglers? I never liked them. They were too low in the waist compared to Levis - I always felt like I had to pull up my trousers. I didn't like the cut at all.

I had a friend that only ever wore Wrangers. His mom ironed them and kept them in as-new condition. Nothing worse than the "new jeans" look when you're trying to hang with the tough crowd.

"Hey man - are those neeeeeew jeans?"

I didn't like the pockets on the Wrangler jackets either.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Levi's

Please can we have a 'facts check' on this thread?

Levi's used denim exclusively from the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company in New Hampshire for their Lot 501 waist overalls until 1915. Then they changed gradually to Cone Mills in N. Carolina, which had exclusive supply for Lot 501 production by 1922. Contrary to popular belief, early Levi's denim pants were relatively light weight, being made from 9 oz right-hand ring-spun woven denim twill with a characteristic natural indigo dye. Aniline dye was used after about 1920 and the fabric weight was increased to 10 oz in 1927.

Levi Strauss Co. have used four selvedge thread colours. Amoskeag denim had a green thread. Cone Mills XX denim (the 10 oz referred to above) had red thread. The 'No. 2' (second rate) denim used for 201 production in the 1920s had a blue/green thread and Lady Levi's had a pink thread. A red selvedge was used on USA produced 501XX until 1983 when the 29 inch looms were exchanged for wider modern looms.

The red tab (single sided, no 'R' mark) was acquired in 1936 and the Big 'E' lasted until 1970 for jackets and 1971 for jeans (as they were called by then).
All this is well referenced in books such as:

Marsh, G et al (2002) Denim:From Cowboys to Catwalks. Indigo Production ISBN 1 85410 791 7.

Smith, D (1996) Vintage Denim. Gibbs Smith. ISBN 0 87905 664 9.

Downey, L et al (1995) This is a Pair of Levi's Jeans; the Official History of the Levi's Brand. Levi Strauss & Co Publishing. ISBN 0 9617460 1 7.

Downey is LSC's official archivist and historian.

In my opinion (and this is where facts end and opinions begin) the Lee jeans of the pre-VF era are the best in terms of material and construction, but for style, 'Bluebell' Wranglers are my personal favourite. Both Lee and Wranglers of the 1950s and 60s were developed with rodeo riders as consultants. The fit is fantastic, but only if you're built like Casey Tibbs or Jim Shoulders. If you're not a 30"W 34"L, stick to Levi's.

Just my opinion.

Alan

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I'm bidding on a couple of US made Levi's 501s right now...34-34. I have not bought new Levi's since the mid 80s and I think the 501s were still being made in the States. Not that I have anything against foreign made jeans, I have several pair of Wrangler Rugged Wears that were made in Mexico. It's just that I have always considered Levi's a truly American icon. Maybe it's just me...

I have two or three pair of Wranglers and I like them. Like I said, a little snug, but they stay up and fit well over boots.

There is a Wrangler Jacket that I'm thinking 'bout biding on also...

jake431

Practically Family
Allen...

Just won an LVC Type III jacket for $51! It's the same size as the ones I used to try on at the Michigan Ave store, but for $150 or so less. Very exciting.

-Jake

jake431

Practically Family
airfrogusmc said:
Need to hook up soon for a little Christmas cheer:cheers1:

I was just thinking the same thing - perhaps the locals (chicaoans, others) should try to get together with Paul?

-Jake

jake431

Practically Family
Biltmore Bob said:
Two pocket jacket...seller says vintage...I'm thinking 70ish to early 80s. Has a union tag with 'made in USA'.

Congrats Bob, those lee jackets are cool. A little shorter in the waist and bigger in the arms than the Levi's jackets. But the Union tag is very nice. If you want to date your jacket, there is a vintage leather an denim site that details the differences in tags etc that should help you figure it out. I'll post the URL tonight from home; I don't have it here at work.

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran