Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers , Good quality?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I briefly owned the Atlantic Boots. Extremely well made.

The only reason it was ‘brief’ was that I ordered them in the wrong size so I sent them back the next day.

Edward

Bartender
always curious about their rendition of the engineer boots, from the look of it they are great. I like my Lewises (Lewis es?) It's clearly the Euro cut but no issue moving my arms, and not a leather suit, no pressing at the deltoids etc. There are other patterns, more athletic, that I prefer, but for me it's the history, the idea of it, and that Iggy Pop rocks it! :)

I was always a tiny bit tempted by the Iggy Pop big cat Lewis jacket....

The 'A10 Mechanic Boot' does look interesting. It's a bit like their Memphis model jacket - their most 'American' style model, but with touches that really set it out as undeniably Lewis. It appear it was (like the No 209 Atlantic Boots, which are *sort of* Engineer inspired, but a step back again from the original design. Like I'd described engineer boots to a gifted bootmaker who'd never seen a pair) available back in the day, I think, or something like it, but I've never seen an original pair. I'd love to try a pair of these as well myself; they have a very pleasing profile, and the slimness to the shaft (at least in photos) looks nice. I'd be hard pressed to choose between these and a pair of Westways; might fancy both one day.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Oh, indeed. I don't have a moral objection to them (anymore than to Schott's Perfecto, which I don't think was the first of that particular style, more their spin on it) - but yeah, the difference in currencies and economics is definitely the factor here. I've handled an Adict jacket before - very nicely made, and I can see the point if they're vastly cheaper than a Lewis is Japan, but the price here is...steep.

Vanson's run on the Bronx (I think they call it a Ton Up or something from memory) is interesting. I'd love to know how many of them they sell. I quite like it as it's not a direct copy, but definitely nods to some of the Lewis touches in a homage way.

When I eventually pull the trigger, it'll be a 391 I think, but the 402 really is nice; that shifting of the straps to the back rather than front does give it a lovely clean look face on. Good choice by the boys back when (and cute that it was those Lewises that were immoratalised on Joey and Marky in Rock and Roll High School (I do care about *that* history...). The Bronx is often overlooked, true. It's an objectively nice jacket, perhaps overlooked in favour of the Lightning as a touch more stylish or the shirt style collar, straight zip models as those became the quintessential rocker style. I think if I was looking at one of those, despite my normal cut-off being 1960 for styles, I'd throw caution to the wind and go with the twin-track zip. That variation was first introduced in 1966 for the tenth anniversary of the original Bronx; it was also the very first Lewis model to carry the forearm pocket that was thereafter rolled out across much of their range, and which is something of a Lewis calling card by this point.

One thing to add: Lemmy wore the Lighning in the 1970´s (Fast Eddie did too). That´s all I need to know...

Aloysius

I will never understand why people outside Japan will order Addict let alone with Europe's massive duties and markup but I won't rehash this here lol.

regius

I was always a tiny bit tempted by the Iggy Pop big cat Lewis jacket....

The 'A10 Mechanic Boot' does look interesting. It's a bit like their Memphis model jacket - their most 'American' style model, but with touches that really set it out as undeniably Lewis. It appear it was (like the No 209 Atlantic Boots, which are *sort of* Engineer inspired, but a step back again from the original design. Like I'd described engineer boots to a gifted bootmaker who'd never seen a pair) available back in the day, I think, or something like it, but I've never seen an original pair. I'd love to try a pair of these as well myself; they have a very pleasing profile, and the slimness to the shaft (at least in photos) looks nice. I'd be hard pressed to choose between these and a pair of Westways; might fancy both one day.
The slim shaft is also what caught my eye but my fear is they’d be hard to squeeze in. On Iggy’s side, his recent tours see him starting in a black lining Bronx, then strips off and toss the jacket to the back. Hence why I’m keeping my twin track Bronx :)

Aloysius

The slim shaft is also what caught my eye but my fear is they’d be hard to squeeze in. On Iggy’s side, his recent tours see him starting in a black lining Bronx, then strips off and toss the jacket to the back. Hence why I’m keeping my twin track Bronx :)

Interesting that both Iggy and Paul McCartney went with the single-track Bronx. Well, in Paul's case the twin-track might not have come out yet when he got his.

Lennon wore the Lightning 391.

Edward

Bartender
He’s going on tour again...hope to see him in April!

I have a ticket to see him in July - co-headlining with Blondie, support from Generation Sex, Steve Jones' class of '77 supergroup. Well excited. Not seen Iggy live for about twenty years, but going by filmed live appearances since he's not slowed down in the least.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I have a ticket to see him in July - co-headlining with Blondie, support from Generation Sex, Steve Jones' class of '77 supergroup. Well excited. Not seen Iggy live for about twenty years, but going by filmed live appearances since he's not slowed down in the least.

Friends, that’s a painful read. Had tickets for his Frankfurt show last June but came down with COVID two days before.

regius

Friends, that’s a painful read. Had tickets for his Frankfurt show last June but came down with COVID two days before.
I'd think iggy is immune to Covid... Iggy, Elton, Jagger, god bless their constitution. Last time I saw Iggy was the Post Pop Depression tour, one in NYC one at Port Chester, where Regius leather is located. ;)

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I'd think iggy is immune to Covid... Iggy, Elton, Jagger, god bless their constitution. Last time I saw Iggy was the Post Pop Depression tour, one in NYC one at Port Chester, where Regius leather is located. ;)

He was/is really the last on my bucket-list (and - uhm - maybe Slayer, but I think I missed that bus...).
Love to see Patti Smith too, but very slim chance, I guess. Not interested in paying 1.500 dollars for a Madison Square garden"lifetime-achievement" show...

regius

He was/is really the last on my bucket-list (and - uhm - maybe Slayer, but I think I missed that bus...).
Love to see Patti Smith too, but very slim chance, I guess. Not interested in paying 1.500 dollars for a Madison Square garden"lifetime-achievement" show...
Patti smith should be quite easy to see on those joint performance shows no? Along with Philip Glass.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Patti smith should be quite easy to see on those joint performance shows no? Along with Philip Glass.

Not over here, no.

But you are right: I am just not willing to make that sort of effort (i.e. adding the plane ticket on top of the show-ticket.).

Oh, I miss the days when Motörhead were USD 15 per ticket and Bruce Springsteen maybe USD 40. (Plus no "VIP" or "Gold Access" rip-off to get a place where you can actually see the stage...)

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I saw Slayer maybe half a dozen times over the years. Always great fun and hilarious.

The best time was the first time I saw them, on the Reign In Pain tour in 1987. Wowsers.
So you probably saw them with Tony (from Whiplash) on drums?
Great band, their live performances always "in-your-face", saw them also 7-8 times. They should have disbanded earlier though (in their defense they finally did so, contrary to the rest of the "big 4" - by the way I can think of at least 10 bands that should have been in this list instead of some other commercial sell-outs).

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
They should have disbanded earlier though

Sure but I was a bit young in the 80s, early 90s so I'm glad they went on a bit for me to catch them.
I can't say it was easy though.
I was supposed to see them for the first time in Sept. 2001 (with Pantera and Biohazard) then 9/11 happened.
They were at the FuryFest in 2005 but it was so packed I can't say I saw or enjoyed much of the show.
In 2009 they canceled their tour due to Araya's surgery so I had to wait until 2011 and by then Hanneman had just withdrawned.
At least I got a double bill.
1677858140800.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto