Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers , Good quality?

Spiney

One of the Regulars
Not trying to start an argument or anything here but just wondering how these compare to Aero , Simmons etc. I know they are a little more expensive ( At least they are in England) but that might be because they are based in London . A standard Lewis is the price of the most expensive Aero with Badalassi upgrade.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
The have quite an extensive history. I have tried but never suceeded picking one up, and much like your observation, I have had good luck with Aero & other makers (Vanson, Cal, Lost Worlds, etc) for less cost.

Don't know if this is an endorsement or not, since I have never handled one personally. However on ebay they seem to go quickly and often for a rather high price. So they must have a pretty strong following. Overall thier design's just do not move me toward thier offerings.

If you do a search, I t hink you will find quite a bit on them here, I only rarely see them featured in WJAYW thread, etc.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My GF has a Lewis, i have a couple, IMO they are good.
The patterns are the best part, they are really well designed and are very comfortable to wear.
Construction is very good, at least all mine are, it is a wide stitch style, but neatly done.
The regular horse or cow hide are not super interresting, but they do the job.
The veg tanned horse and sheep are both really nice and would be my leathers of choice if i had to order today.

IMO you can't go wrong with a Lewis.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lewis-leathers-super-monza-no-445l-ladies-review.83257/

Al 916

One Too Many
They made just about the best non racing (guy on the bike) leathers in the 70/80s when I was first riding.

I had a Kett in those days (arm and back tasseled for rain dispersal) Great jacket!
Lead singer of Ash nicked it from me (borrowed and never returned)

I have a Dominator in Rutland Sheep. I love it, and the lighter hide makes it easy to wear here in LA. The cut works better for me than my Aeros did. The logo doesn’t bother me, but if you order from London they might still have the option of omitting it. I think their veg tanned colors are the best bet. The British racing green is amazing.

Edward

Bartender
Lewis have a long and venerable history here in the UK. Their especial heydays were the 60s. They were one of the *big* names in the Rocker Subculture during its 60-65 heyday, and remain indelibly linked to the revivalist scene - actually far more so than any of the other brands that were around back then. A mix of visibility - famous people wearing 'em - and that Derek bought over the brand and recast it as a heritage brand at exactly the right time, when interest in that was growing, the current rockers reunion scene was first emerging in the 90s, and the Ace Cafe itself was reopened in 1997 (having originally shut down in 1969). They also were sussed enough not to discount the punk rock community either, Lewis being to the Clash et al what Schott (later) became to the Ramones (some of whom wore Lewis at a time as well). That sort of brand pedigree inevitably means they can command a higher price. Being made in England also will raise actual operating costs.

That all said..... They're also actually rather good. By the 1970s, quality wasn't always what it was - you'd still find a great example from that period, but it might mean leafing through half a dozen not so good ones. However, when Derek took over an made it a heritage focused brand, the quality from the 90s on has been very good indeed. In the cow or horse, they're still viable as functional motorcycle wear (albeit only a limited run of two specific models in conjunction with Urban Rider have ever been done with armour pockets, so you're good for the slide, but less so for the impact), but really these days I would expect the significant majority of their customers are not looking for a riding jacket (or don't ride).

If you want a quintessentially, British leather motorcycle (style) jacket, the Lightning or the Dominator / Corsair designs are perfect. The latter two, well, Rivett's were doing those in their Highwayman brand by at least 1959 (Lewis didn't bring their out til 1962), but Rivett's aren't around now... The Lightning was Lewis' own design, their second, modern-period leather (1958, after the Bronx in 1956). The Lightning is the real star of their range IMO - one day I'd love one of those, to original 1958 spec (no outside logo, and, more importantly, no forearm pocket, that having been brought in after 1966).

The best option is to go to the shop and have them work up made to measure.

Are they overpriced? Well.... subjective. There's a shop local to me now looking GBP988 for a new Schott 618.... More expensive than an Aero, but also a different beast. Aero don't do a Lightning, and Lewis don't do a J106... For me, I'd buy an Aero Original 59er over a Lewis Dominator - but that's me. With a lancer front, they're different beasts, these two brands. It all comes back to perception of value. I'd certainly go for a Lewis ahead of any of the (in the UK at least markedly more expensive) Japanese Lewis-homage brands. Really, it all comes down to whether you think it's worth it for you, but if you're prepared to spend that kind of money on a leather jacket and lucky enough to be in a position to consider it, then Lewis are definitely an option well worth considering if the style and cut work for you.

They made just about the best non racing (guy on the bike) leathers in the 70/80s when I was first riding.

I had a Kett in those days (arm and back tasseled for rain dispersal) Great jacket!

Naughty Tim! He could well afford anything in Lewis' range for sure.... Was this pre-fame? Knew a girl at uni who was at school with the Ash boys back when. Rick the drummer used to be the other half of someone I know socially; hung out with him a couple of times back in the day. Fun guy. Never knew Tim, though.

Edward

Bartender
Lewis have a long and venerable history here in the UK. Their especial heydays were the 60s. They were one of the *big* names in the Rocket Subculture during its 60-65 heyday, and remain indelibly linked to the revivalist scene - actually far more so than any of the other brands that were around back then. A mix of visibility - famous people wearing 'em - and that Derek bought over the brand and recast it as a heritage brand at exactly the right time, when interest in that was growing, the current rockers reunion scene was first emerging in the 90s, and the Ace Cafe itself was reopened in 1997 (having originally shut down in 1969). They also were sussed enough not to discount the punk rock community either, Lewis being to the Clash et al what Schott (later) became to the Ramones (some of whom wore Lewis at a time as well). That sort of brand pedigree inevitably means they can command a higher price. Being made in England also will raise actual operating costs.

That all said..... They're also actually rather good. By the 1970s, quality wasn't always what it was - you'd still find a great example from that period, but it might mean leafing through half a dozen not so good ones. However, when Derek took over an made it a heritage focused brand, the quality from the 90s on has been very good indeed. In the cow or horse, they're still viable as functional motorcycle wear (albeit only a limited run of two specific models in conjunction with Urban Rider have ever been done with armour pockets, so you're good for the slide, but less so for the impact), but really these days I would expect the significant majority of their customers are not looking for a riding jacket (or don't ride).

If you want a quintessentially, British leather motorcycle (style) jacket, the Lightning or the Dominator / Corsair designs are perfect. The latter two, well, Rivett's were doing those in their Highwayman brand by at least 1959 (Lewis didn't bring their out til 1962), but Rivett's aren't around now... The Lightning was Lewis' own design, their second, modern-period leather (1958, after the Bronx in 1956). The Lightning is the real star of their range IMO - one day I'd love one of those, to original 1958 spec (no outside logo, and, more importantly, no forearm pocket, that having been brought in after 1966).

The best option is to go to the shop and have them work up made to measure.

Are they overpriced? Well.... subjective. There's a shop local to me now looking GBP988 for a new Schott 618.... More expensive than an Aero, but also a different beast. Aero don't do a Lightning, and Lewis don't do a J106... For me, I'd buy an Aero Original 59er over a Lewis Dominator - but that's me. With a lancer front, they're different beasts, these two brands. It all comes back to perception of value. I'd certainly go for a Lewis ahead of any of the (in the UK at least markedly more expensive) Japanese Lewis-homage brands. Really, it all comes down to whether you think it's worth it for you, but if you're prepared to spend that kind of money on a leather jacket and lucky enough to be in a position to consider it, then Lewis are definitely an option well worth considering if the style and cut work for you.

Naughty Tim! He could well afford anything in Lewis' range for sure.... Was this pre-fame? Knew a girl at uni who was at school with the Ash boys back when. Rick the drummer used to be the other half of someone I know socially; hung out with him a couple of times back in the day. Fun guy. Never knew Tim, though.

Damon141

Practically Family
It looks like they make a very movable jacket and few members have posted pictures with their arms raised and the hem barely moved up. That’s what caught my attention. All without underarm football or shoulder gussets.

My jacket surely doesn’t work that way, it’s f I lift my arms it turns into a belly shirt.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
@Edward - thanks for the very comprehensive history there on Lewis! Always good to see solid knowledge, especially from someone with access to them so close by.

I do indeed like the Corsair & Dominator models - (that huge 1-piece back panel is amazing) and they appear to be very well finished. Hoping to make a trip over the pond soon, and would certainly enjoy checking some of these out in person.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
It looks like they make a very movable jacket and few members have posted pictures with their arms raised and the hem barely moved up. That’s what caught my attention. All without underarm football or shoulder gussets.

My jacket surely doesn’t work that way, it’s f I lift my arms it turns into a belly shirt.
then your arm hole is too low

Edward

Bartender
@Edward - thanks for the very comprehensive history there on Lewis! Always good to see solid knowledge, especially from someone with access to them so close by.

I do indeed like the Corsair & Dominator models - (that huge 1-piece back panel is amazing) and they appear to be very well finished. Hoping to make a trip over the pond soon, and would certainly enjoy checking some of these out in person.

The shop is definitely worth a visit. check out the boots while you're there, too - one day I'd love a pair of Lewis Westways.

Edward

Bartender

They were very much designed as a motorcycle jacket, so this makes sense. Much of their customer base back in the day was into the 'crouched over the tank, British' riding position (as opposed to the more upright, US/Harley-style riding position), so that definitely influenced their design. Not least the hem fasteners: the Bronx, first launched in 1956, had the front half-belt buckle covered in leather and no protruding prong so as to avoid scratching the tank. For my money, however, they got it bang on right with the Lightning in 1958, with the side-buckles, a feature that then carried over across the range.

Spiney

One of the Regulars
Lewis Leathers is the absolute best. I don't understand why is there even need for this thread.
Like I said in my post, wasn’t trying to stir up anything, just didn’t know where they stood in the leather hierarchy.

Like I said in my post, wasn’t trying to stir up anything, just didn’t know where they stood in the leather hierarchy.

That's okay, I don't think you're trying to stir anything up, just that it surprised me this still hasn't been made universally clear. The way I see it, you turn to any other maker only if LL doesn't do the style you're after. Otherwise, I'd sooner give my money to LL than to any other company, sans Vanson.

The fact that a lot of mega-high-fashion companies collaborate with them ought to say enough on the matter, plus there are all those Japanese knock-offs, too. Fine Creek has made several LL-based abominations they still tryna get rid of. . .

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
My GF has a Lewis, i have a couple, IMO they are good.
The patterns are the best part, they are really well designed and are very comfortable to wear.
Construction is very good, at least all mine are, it is a wide stitch style, but neatly done.
The regular horse or cow hide are not super interresting, but they do the job.
The veg tanned horse and sheep are both really nice and would be my leathers of choice if i had to order today.

IMO you can't go wrong with a Lewis.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lewis-leathers-super-monza-no-445l-ladies-review.83257/

Pretty much my view too, word by word.

I do have the "Lighning" in an older batch of their standard horse, and it´s actually quite nice. Made me buy a "Dominator" in the "same" hide (batch from 2019) but I didn´t like the vinyl-like look and feel one bit. I exchanged it for the same model in veg-tanned sheep and just love it.
Construction is very goof, IMO, and if you like the pretty unique optics, you certainly won´t go wrong with a LL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ