Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Roadmasters vs. Belstaff Knockhill Trainmaster?

Edward

Bartender
I see it's up there already. Any misgivings about AL and Will aside, I'm afraid that jacket just looks horribly off to me compared to Belstaff's Panther: the pockets look far too square and over-sized, and without the shoulder detail and the dirt racer collar replaced with a standard cord one, it looks more like some strange Barbour experiment. I appreciate that copyright issues mean that it such compromises are necessary and I have no doubt it'll be well made, but on this occasion it seems to be at the expense of aesthetics.

Yes, I saw that one myself. I figured it was an "inspired by" rather than a serious effort to replicate the original design. I'm not sure how far copyright would subsist inthe Belstaff design any more, given how many different companies each have their own iteration of it.

I see it's up there already. Any misgivings about AL and Will aside, I'm afraid that jacket just looks horribly off to me compared to Belstaff's Panther: the pockets look far too square and over-sized, and without the shoulder detail and the dirt racer collar replaced with a standard cord one, it looks more like some strange Barbour experiment. I appreciate that copyright issues mean that it such compromises are necessary and I have no doubt it'll be well made, but on this occasion it seems to be at the expense of aesthetics.

Is that top left pocket supposed to be slanted like that..??
HD

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Yep ...the chest pockets are high and the slant was so you could get a map or pace notes out easier without shredding the stuff...the more extreme slant of the barbour works a lot better than the belstaff for me...for a fly box.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I saw that one myself. I figured it was an "inspired by" rather than a serious effort to replicate the original design. I'm not sure how far copyright would subsist inthe Belstaff design any more, given how many different companies each have their own iteration of it.

Yeah, I thought that too, but to me the shoulder and elbow details and the collar are the things that make the Belstaff interesting. If I'd been looking to do something 'inspired' by it, I'd have swapped it around: kept the elbow and shoulder detail, the collar, cleaned up the front of the jacket and added a couple of handwarmer pockets, a la a Hercules (keeping the Deco feel), and a slanting breast pocket. Would've made for an interesting jacket at least. Just my tuppence worth, but there you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou