Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Roadmasters vs. Belstaff Knockhill Trainmaster?

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Thanks to everyone that replied to my above thread (Lincoln Potters' Jacket).

My question to this very knowledgeable group, which jacket do you think is a better jacket,

The Lewis Leathers Roadmaster No. 414 MK 1&2 which sells for about $1,185 (US) and which can be seen here at www.lewisleathers.com/ productinfo.html?code=jak414 or the

The Belstaff Knockhill Vintage Trainmaster Jacket which sells for $795 (US) and can be seen here www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/belstaff.asp

Also, does anyone know if there are any stockists for Lewis Leathers in the NYC area?

Would love to see your pics if you have either of these jackets as well as your thoughts!

My initial impression is that the Lewis Leathers seems to be a better made/quality jacket (no offense to any Belstaff owners), but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Dave

Edward

Bartender
I can't comment directly on either model, but I would advise that you try to at least get hold of a sample of the leather used by either or both. Belstaff's reputation, fairly or unfairly, has gone down among the old school crew since they sold out to an Italian fashion house. They sill produce many of the old designs (at a higher price), though I hear wildly varying analyses of quality. Lewis products are uniformly made to a very high standard indeed, by a small-scale manufacturer. The current owner of the company has a great reputation as being very passionate about what he does. Don't expect armour-like leather as you'll find in many Aeros; Lewis jackets (accurately to the period in which they were designed and first used) tend to be much lighter. I've handled a lot of originals at one time and another, as well as a number of newer ones, and they do tend to be light - I'd put most of them on a par with the midweight horse you'd find an A2 in; somewhat lighter than Aero's European steer. Lovely jackets, just don't expect them to be what they're not. I would expect the Lewis to be better cut than the Belstaff (I believe Lewis will also do M2M, not just OTR, if that matters), but that's just an instinct, I an't honestly claim to have handled both side by side.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
@Edward: I tend to agree with you, but I am strictly going off the pics from each manufacturers website. Could be that Lewis Leathers just has better pictures, but they seem to pay better attention to detail, not sure.

Dave

IXL

One Too Many
I think I would go with the Lewis. Their website states the jacket can be ordered with the shoulder padding, which I like.
All four pockets on the Belstaff are bellows pouches, while only the two lower ones on the Lewis are this style. I think this will make the Lewis product a bit less bulky above the belt.
If anyone knows of a U.S. dealer, please let me know. I've always wanted a Lewis Leathers jacket but I'm afraid to order directly from across the pond, as I fear the whole customs clearing process. I've read of too many people encountering wildly different import fees.
The Belstaff jackets are already here in the U.S., but I sure do want a Lewis brand jacket....and some boots....and a pair of gloves......

wdw

One Too Many
I had the Belstaff Panther, which is the fashion equivalent of the Trialmaster, but the Panther now retails at £1,200 or about $1,900, so that Trialmaster is supercheap. The Belstaff pictures make the leather look very thin though, and nowhere near as robust or well-made as the Lewis.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pay the extra for the Lewis, as you wouldn't be paying any premium for a fashion label (despite the Trialmaster being so cheap).

Just realised Lewis is in the UK, so I'd be inclined to compare them against the Aero Barnstormer, which will probably be even more robust.

Last edited:

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I think I would go with the Lewis. Their website states the jacket can be ordered with the shoulder padding, which I like.
All four pockets on the Belstaff are bellows pouches, while only the two lower ones on the Lewis are this style. I think this will make the Lewis product a bit less bulky above the belt.
If anyone knows of a U.S. dealer, please let me know. I've always wanted a Lewis Leathers jacket but I'm afraid to order directly from across the pond, as I fear the whole customs clearing process. I've read of too many people encountering wildly different import fees.
The Belstaff jackets are already here in the U.S., but I sure do want a Lewis brand jacket....and some boots....and a pair of gloves......

I asked Lewis Leathers if they had any re- sellers in the US and they said as of now they didn't. So it looks like if you want one your only option is to order direct.

Dave

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Dave. So, are you considering ordering directly from them?

IXL, Possibly. I say possibly because like you I would prefer to try the jacket on, I've been burned too often with a size reccommendation that didn't work and I don't want to have to ship it back to the UK if the fit is wrong. I have been emailing with them and sent them my detailed measurements and they recommended a size 40, but that seems a bit large. What I don't know is how large these jackets are cut especially across the shoulders, the chest, and the pit to pit? FWIW my measurements are as follows:
Pit to Pit: 20",Chest:39", Shoulders:17.5", Sleeve:24", Stomach:30.5" (measured 1" above belly button around torso), Waist: 32", Around Arms:46" (measured with hands at sides at bicep level around torso), Height: 5'7.5", Weight: about 137lbs. According to these measurements I would be a size 38 in an Aero 1930s Half Belt FQHH. But I know that Aero cuts their jackets almost 1 size large.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
IXL, Possibly. I say possibly because like you I would prefer to try the jacket on, I've been burned too often with a size reccommendation that didn't work and I don't want to have to ship it back to the UK if the fit is wrong. I have been emailing with them and sent them my detailed measurements and they recommended a size 40, but that seems a bit large. What I don't know is how large these jackets are cut especially across the shoulders, the chest, and the pit to pit? FWIW my measurements are as follows:
Pit to Pit: 20",Chest:39", Shoulders:17.5", Sleeve:24", Stomach:30.5" (measured 1" above belly button around torso), Waist: 32", Around Arms:46" (measured with hands at sides at bicep level around torso), Height: 5'7.5", Weight: about 137lbs. According to these measurements I would be a size 38 in an Aero 1930s Half Belt FQHH. But I know that Aero cuts their jackets almost 1 size large.

I'm a pretty solid 40 (measured 39.5-inch chest) in most jackets, but a size 38 in the Aero LHB. I tried on an Aero 1930's HB in size 38 and it was too slim - I had to send it back for exchange to a size 40. While I agree that most Aero's seem to run large, the 1930's Half-Belt runs much truer to size. Not sure if that helps you with your decision? With your height, weight, and slim gut - a size 38 would probably work.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Grayland, thanks for the input. That's why I went with Insurrection Leather for my current Aero. They are sending me a 38 1930s Black Half Belt in FQHH for me to try on. Then I send them some pics for them to review with me. If no good, no problem, I send them the jacket back (there in the US) and we try a different size. My only issue with The Lewis Leathers Roadmaster is I really don't know how this jacket is cut?

Edward

Bartender
realised Lewis is in the UK, so I'd be inclined to compare them against the Aero Barnstormer, which will probably be even more robust.

The Barnstormer certainly has something of the look of a dispatch rider's coat to it.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Is the jacket for riding?

The Belstaff is a motorcycle jacket, and has pockets containing armour at the elbows and shoulders, and will be cut to accommodate these. I think that it has a zip out thermal lining too, and is possibly a bit heavier than you want. (Oh, wait, this is the Fedora Lounge where no jacket is too heavy. :D)

The Lewis Leathers jacket is probably better for general wear, but I'd prefer a dedicated jacket for riding in. I think that they're nicer than the Belstaff, and better finished.

If you're after a riding jacket, also check out Scott Leathers in the UK. They do a replica of the Belstaff, though it's not on their site, and it's significantly cheaper. Almost certainly better made too.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Thanks to everyone that replied to my above thread (Lincoln Potters' Jacket).

My question to this very knowledgeable group, which jacket do you think is a better jacket,

The Lewis Leathers Roadmaster No. 414 MK 1&2 which sells for about $1,185 (US) and which can be seen here at www.lewisleathers.com/ productinfo.html?code=jak414 or the

The Belstaff Knockhill Vintage Trainmaster Jacket which sells for $795 (US) and can be seen here www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/belstaff.asp

Also, does anyone know if there are any stockists for Lewis Leathers in the NYC area?

Would love to see your pics if you have either of these jackets as well as your thoughts!

My initial impression is that the Lewis Leathers seems to be a better made/quality jacket (no offense to any Belstaff owners), but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave;
First off, I don't have any experience with either one. I personally prefer the look and the functionality of the Lewis Leathers Roadmaster though. Their pedigree in the business is beyond reproach.
Do all of your homework very diligently.........which it sounds like you are, and then make your final decision. Because at the end of the day, don't ever put yourself in the position of "woulda, coulda, shoulda". If you're a younger guy, make it a goal to have both before other life's obligations come along.
If, as you say, you always wanted a Lewis Leathers jacket...........by all means get it! You can always work on the Belstaff later.
Best of Luck!

coffee

richie1958

New in Town
I have been riding in my present Lewis Super Monza for a few years now. I don't drive a car, so come rain or shine... Ice or snow, I'm out on my 1954
Norton and Lewis jacket. The reason I bought it was of course because they are made of superb leather to a very exacting build quality; but also because they don't charge any more for a fully made to measure. I only live fifty miles from London, so I spent an hour or so in the shop discussing my
requirements and getting measured up. As you'd expect the jacket fits like a glove; but I don't believe I would have got the same superb fit if I'd sent
my dimensions to Lewis Leathers via email. I don't just have a jacket that fits me well, I have a jackets that fits me and the bike well! I guess the fit of a
Roadmaster won't be as critical, but for the lancer style jackets, if you want a jacket that is a perfect fit, even when you're reaching for your bike's
particular handlebars, you can't do better than walking into the shop and talking to the guys.
Belstaff..... They're OK for a mass produced jacket.:D
Richie

armscye

One of the Regulars
I own a Belstaff Panther, and would definitely not want to lay a scooter down while wearing it-- it's about .8mm lambskin, with the only protection being elbow and shoulder patches that are just one additional layer of lambskin. Sadly, the ruralist, hiker/rider/farmer Belstaff company of Steve McQueen's day is gone.

richie1958

New in Town
I still wear waxed cotton over the top of my riding gear when it rains. I have a Barbour International trials jacket, and because the matching trousers wore out, a pair of Belstaff replacements. The Barbour jacket is just about on it's last legs, despite being re-waxed numerous times, and will need replacing soon. I'm just flabbergasted at the price of Barbour or Belstaff waxed cotton these days! I can't work out who else is buying waxed motorcycle gear to allow the manufacturers to command such outrageous prices! I hardly ever see another waxed motorcyclist on the road, and get those looks from other motorcyclists at bike shows as if I've turned up in fancy dress!
Richie

Edward

Bartender
I suspect most of us buying waxed cotton these days are non-riders. Last I looked the standard Barbour was running at about two hundred sterling, though that didn't include the lining. They're charging big for the Steve Macqueen stuff, though. Belstaff are a fair whack up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats