Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers x Real McCoys "Lightning"

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow!!! Japanese deerskin.

upload_2016-3-14_1-12-12.png

upload_2016-3-14_1-12-45.png

upload_2016-3-14_1-13-12.png

upload_2016-3-14_1-13-39.png

Blackadder

Can't say it is a popular item that warrants a "re-release". Saw some old stock at the Osaka shop last year. Has a deconstructed look that is unusual for a motorcycle jacket. Not my cup of tea.

willyto

One Too Many
I'm not sure I like it. Too much going on with the straps, pockets and zips. The logo doesn't help either, I just can't stand brand logos on jackets, I think they kind of ruin the design.

coolruehl

New in Town
Deerskin is the main reason i interested~It is soft as sheep skin but stronger than it~ and with excellent flexibility!!

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I always had a YEN for a deerskin jacket. Although I thought deerskin would have a much smoother look to it. Wonder if that's full or top grain.

Edward

Bartender
I'm not sure I like it. Too much going on with the straps, pockets and zips. The logo doesn't help either, I just can't stand brand logos on jackets, I think they kind of ruin the design.

I've long been a fan of the LL Lightning design, though personally I believe they made an aesthetic mistake when they added the extra zip-coin pocket to the top of the left sleeve in 62 (the original Lightning spec of 1958 didn't have that). I gather one can order without that, which is what I'll eventually do when I have the time / money. They used to also allow folks to order one without the exterior logo, again as per eearly spec. It was only long into their business, late sixties or turn of the seventies, I think, that they actually branded the jackets as "Lewis Leathers" - before that, they were mostly labelled Aviakit. Declining to offer the option of ordering one without the logo patch is a relatively new development; one can only assume that they're responding to the market by using this to distinguish their jackets. I get the impression that there are an increasing number of companies copying their designs for the Japanese market, and while they can no longer protect the design, they can retain control of the LL trademark, which gives them the 'heritage' factor. Only Lewis Leather can make a real Lewis jacket. Coke vs Pepsi kind of thing. I have the impression they're also a bit peeved by people like Leather Monkeys, who built up a reputation as dealers in second-hand, vintage LL jackets, then started selling their own copies of Lewis designs (for some time using Lewis TMs in their eBay listings to pull in traffic, though they were clear the jackets weren't actually Lewises). Shame in a way - I'd prefer no logo myself; I've always admired the stand that folks like Aero have taken on not putting logos all over the shop. Still, the LL patch is in reality pretty small, and I'd have thought a careful application of some nail varnish remover would quickly deal with the goldleaf on it, rendering the patch much less obvious.

bn1966

Intending to visit them this year though not with a view to a purchase (need to splash the cash on a passenger back rest for the new Yamaha). Wife who needs afore-mentioned back-rest has a vintage Ladies LL...I've had telephone conversations with LL and have found them passionate & happy to chew the fat about jackets & rides :) Am a no logo man myself too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael