Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Library of Congress COLOR Pics from 30s/40s on Flickr

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Apparently the Library of Congress has released a large set of their color pictures from the Great Depression and World War Two eras. Here are just two of some of the amazing photos they have listed:

rosietheriveter1943.jpg

Rosie the Riveter working on Vultee Vengeance dive bombers in 1943

mechamfield.jpg

Flight instructors at Meacham Field in Texas in 1942

Their set is fantastic for costumes, hair styles, and history gazers! Check it out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157603671370361/

Corto

A-List Customer
Whoa! GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm teaching 10th grade US History this semester.
This stuff'll really help the students connect with the Depression/New Deal/WWII unit.
Thanks!

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Yeah, the color is so lively it seems like it was taken yesterday. The students might be able to identify with people in them better. B&W is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it has a sort of distancing effect.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
these are fantastic! some on the last page were even taken at the plant my grandma worked at during WWII. too bad i have no idea what she looked like then...

leaette

A-List Customer
I originally saw these pics a few years ago. The color is so awesome, I had to look closer to make sure they were period photos.

I have printed out SEVERAL of the "rosie" pics for my war worker display that I set up at WW2 events. They are fantastic to look at and great for research material.

My only complaint...I wish they had more "regular every day" photos. These were all staged. The women are too clean!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183