Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life On Mars

B

BAZ

Gonna have to say, the Brit one has more resonance for us (being British n all) but we've lived in NY long enough to appreciate the US version.
Sad to say, Keitel is one of my favourite actors (and a neighbour!) but his acting in this is wooden and forced.
We're still watching it, and interested how it "grows"

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The BRITS can produce GREAT stuff...

So, it's a brave person who tries to fill the shoes of successful series such as LIFE ON MARS. It might not work, but the first episode I saw was fine (and I made a big effort 'not' to compare it with the Brit original, but take it on its' own merits).

It would be interesting to see the Brits take on an American series such as Mad Men and Anglicise it to London in the early/mid 60's. Not sure if it would work, but could be fun finding out!!

B

BAZ

Looking at American TV now (and if I turn around I WILL be!!) it's a case of "deja vu":
Eleventh Hour, Life On Mars, Worst Week, Kitchen Nightmares, American Idol, Survivor, The Office, Real World, ALL Copies of British shows!!!
Still, guess Britain can thank America for Jerry Springer!!;)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In a brilliant piece of marketing, Rolling Stone from a couple of weeks ago had a cover from 1973, which was really a wrap around ad for Life On Mars.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched it tonight for the first time. I thought it was pretty good! I'll tune in next week as well. Harvey Keitel adds a lot to this show in my opinion.
Also having been a huge "Sopranos" fan I liked seeing "Christopher" in a '70's Fu and long hair!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BAZ said:
Still, guess Britain can thank America for Jerry Springer!!;)

I thought that Jerry was originally British [huh] and may still hold dual nationality (his folks escaped from Nazi persecutions to the UK).

B

BAZ

PADDY said:
I thought that Jerry was originally British [huh] and may still hold dual nationality (his folks escaped from Nazi persecutions to the UK).
Oh yes, you're right, I WAS referring to the hugely successful talk show he hosted at the age of THREE in Finchley, London before his family moved to New York! Not sure what became of him after that..............:rolleyes:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's the ONE Baz..

He was a child protege like Amadeus Mozart!!lol But it's great to see that the old American-Brit relationship still works so well, even in TV land!! there's some great things coming out of both countries and joint ventures too.

Edward

Bartender
BAZ said:
Gonna have to say, the Brit one has more resonance for us (being British n all) but we've lived in NY long enough to appreciate the US version.
Sad to say, Keitel is one of my favourite actors (and a neighbour!) but his acting in this is wooden and forced.
We're still watching it, and interested how it "grows"

whawhawhaWHAAAA??? You live near Harvey Keitel? Lucky you! Do you know him at all?

B

BAZ

Edward said:
whawhawhaWHAAAA??? You live near Harvey Keitel? Lucky you! Do you know him at all?
Hah!! Well, it's just a case of saying "hello" when we meet in the street or the deli. You don't know HOW hard it is to just NOT say "you were amazing in Taxi Driver, Mr Keitel".
But I kinda like the "non committal" relationship we have :D

B

BAZ

PADDY said:
He was a child protege like Amadeus Mozart!!lol But it's great to see that the old American-Brit relationship still works so well, even in TV land!! there's some great things coming out of both countries and joint ventures too.
I find it funny that the Brits remade "Friends" as "Coupling" and it was a hit...........THEN, the YANKS thought "what a great show, we should make a US version of it" and it sank without a trace!!! Crazy!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I missed the first episode but caught the second last night; Not thrilled I'm afraid.:(

MB5

One of the Regulars
It's pretty good, but I like the original better. On the other hand, I have no plans to stop watching, so they must be doing something right.

B

BAZ

Yeah, the latest episode WAS pretty excellent!! I like the way the plot unfurled, and the snatches of Sam's childhood!
Also, the G I Joe reference tied in wit the British one, as young Sam Tyler is seen playing with an Action Man (UK version of GI Joe), BUT......the type of Action Man was incorrect for 1973!! (I'm a collector, so also a geek!)

Edward

Bartender
BAZ said:
Hah!! Well, it's just a case of saying "hello" when we meet in the street or the deli. You don't know HOW hard it is to just NOT say "you were amazing in Taxi Driver, Mr Keitel".
But I kinda like the "non committal" relationship we have :D

I know what you mean.... I know a few folks who are really rather famous in their own right. Not that we're bosom buddies, but they're folks I would know well ebnough to sit and chat with in a club or whatever. I think most of the time they very much appreciate someone being willing just to treat them as a normal person rather than in their professional capacity. ;)

(And FWIW, PInk is the one I know I am most like, Blonde had some of the best lines, but White... White was by far the coolest).

B

BAZ

Edward said:
I know what you mean.... I know a few folks who are really rather famous in their own right. Not that we're bosom buddies, but they're folks I would know well ebnough to sit and chat with in a club or whatever. I think most of the time they very much appreciate someone being willing just to treat them as a normal person rather than in their professional capacity. ;)

(And FWIW, PInk is the one I know I am most like, Blonde had some of the best lines, but White... White was by far the coolest).

Exactly!! My wife is a hairstylist, and has a few "celebrities" on her books. I've sat and chatted with a few of them at the salon, just like ANY client. No fawning, asking for autographs etc. Weird to say it, they're JUST people!
ONE "star" is such a nice person, and a dog lover, it's weird to see her on tv "in character"!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw the British version presented here as two seasons over the last year or so, and thought it was brilliant. From what I've seen, the US version doesn't compare.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
There seems to be a real following in the USA of British productions such as Dr Who, Torchwood, Spooks (about MI5), Life on Mars..etc, etc. I didn't think that British humour or British psyche travelled that well across the Atlantic (abit like Guinness not travelling well from Ireland to the UK!!;) ).

So do Americans..."get it?" Do 'you' understand these storylines that can be 'very British' and does the 'humour' like for instance THE OFFICE work in the USA?

(Is this underpinning a sadness that the RedCoats left in the first place in the 1770's? and do you want us back? :))

American programing has been swirling the drain for some time now. Everything went to "reality" shows big time, I think the recent popularity of BBC shows is due to the fact that they are not purposefully created to make money. Watching Top Gear, there is no "text to vote" plastered across the bottom of the screen. You know the writers are actually trying to create entertaining, and engaging shows.

I think it's reminding people of the way TV programing USED to be. Even at it's cheesiest, the 80's was SLAMMED full of entertaining TV. I think people are ready for less "dramatic reality" now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto