Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life with ONE great Leather Jacket vs. Life with MANY Leather Jackets

I do turn the ones I want staying dark blue the longest inside out for washing & drying.
Most get washed once a month. The older ones that I wear for ranch chores get washed weekly...wash cold water, dry low heat

I like to keep mine darker too, and I wash mine in the tub with Woolite Dark soap. Washing machines are fine if you can get them out before the spin cycle which makes those faded straight lines.

Last edited:

avique

One of the Regulars
I spent many years with a single leather jacket that I wore everywhere but these days I try to keep it down to five.
1. Short Vanson leather jacket for spring and cool summer evenings.
2. 3/4 length Aero Hudson for work/everyday
3. Heavy winter coat (rarely used here in the pacific NW)
4. London Fog overcoat for those occasions were I have to wear a suit
5. Inexpensive beater that I can wear for yard work or out on the construction site.

I could probably lose the overcoat and the heavy winter coat since they are rarely used but it's nice to have them on hand.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Boys and girls, wise words to live by: wear the hell out of your jackets and wash your jeans if they're getting on the stinky side.

It's only clothing after all ;)

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Can I have your Jeans if they wear out! ;)

as for wearing the hell out of your Jackets, preferably over a gradual period, NO CHEATING!

^^ yes. Right now it's a Dodgers ball cap (don't tell).
...but I have to say that if it weren't so stiff, I would've kept the TFL Akubra Campdraft. It was really nice, but the wife said "uh, no."

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
In the watch-fora you have all these debates about the "exit-watch", it is the one and only, after which you don't need to buy any other watch, you can sell all other timepices and live happy ever after. The idea behind that seems to be that the enthusiasm for watches is an addiction, buying the things is buying a kind of dope and you need a kind of "suoer-object" to cure the addiction. While I totally agree that excessive consumerism can be the visible symptom of another void the respective person tried to fill with "stuff", I always thought the attitude of depicting oneself as a person driven by addiction just to explain why one bought too many things without actually needing them always a bit hypocrite. The consumers are not victims of their addiction, buying things is simply fun. At least, in most cases. Really. Hell, I like it, ok? ;)

As for watches, it's a mid-size Omega Railmaster. Done. I had a Ranchero that I fell in love with but quickly found that it wasn't practical in my daily life. The more modern Railmaster comes very close but without the mechanical issues and with a sturdier Sapphire crystal. Practicality won.
:)

How about cars?
See, that's where I'm torn between 2 dream machines. On one hand, a mid 70's Ford Bronco box top, and the other being a pre-'74 911.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Rolex Sea-Dweller purchased 6 years ago (absolutely no temptation to buy a new watch). Have owned my Jeep Wrangler for 10 years now (love it). Leather jackets, now that's a whole different story!:D

I do have to say that this idea of 1 brown and 1 black is starting to gnaw at me. After seeing the black grainy Vicenza hide, I'm tempted by the 30's Highwayman in grainy black without the back yoke (1 piece back). :-0

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Vendors must be shaking in their engineer boots, considering how many forumites are seriously discussing 'cutting back' on jacket purchases. :eek:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Vendors must be shaking in their engineer boots, considering how many forumites are seriously discussing 'cutting back' on jacket purchases. :eek:

It won't happen. :)
I've vouched to depart the world of jackets to never look back, but that idea lasted all of three days. Once you're in it, you're trapped for life.

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Jacket Vendors are especially going to be cursing me as being the original creator of this thread... but honestly, after 6 leather jackets, I really do feel that our leather jackets should be given their due justice, should be given our due time, heavy wear so that they can become even more beautiful with evolving grain and ruggedness... I think the old traditional approach to men's leather jacket should be brought back where the jacket is a trusty faithful companion as opposed to just a clothing item in different colors and styles that we pick from our wardrobe to match our shoes and outfit for that day...just my two cents :)

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been a watch enthusiast for many years. My collecting reached a zenith about five years ago, at which time I owned over 15 watches, including:

Greubel Forsey Double Tourbillon

GreubelForseyDoubleTourbillonMIA.jpg

Richard Mille RM004v2

RichardMilleRM004MMB.jpg

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Minute Repeater

JaegerMasterMinuteRepeaterMAA.jpg

FP Journe Dead Seconds Tourbillon

FPJourneTourbillonMAA.jpg

A. Lange Sohne Datograph Perpetual

ALangeSohneDatographPerpetualMMC.jpg

De Bethune DB15

DeBethuneDB15MMG.jpg

I was also an avid Panerai collector, including:

PAM360

Panerai360MFB.jpg

PAM172

Panerai172LRB.jpg

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I got older, I became increasingly more casual. I ended up selling most of my more formal watches, and I down scaled the number of watches I own. Today, I only own about 6 watches, including:

Audemars Piguet ROO Jarno Trulli

AudemarsPiguetROOJarnoTrulliTJA.jpg

Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris Tribute 68

431c9711-874a-419c-b2e6-c05885602fe6_zps13b68ff0.jpg

Jaeger LeCoultre Navy Seals Incursion

JaegerLeCoultreNavySealsIncursionMBA.jpg

PAM 317

Panerai317MAA.jpg

PAM 390

Panerai390MBA.jpg

Glausuttte Original Senator Rattrapante

GOSenatorRattrapanteMMC.jpg