Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life with ONE great Leather Jacket vs. Life with MANY Leather Jackets

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I haven't posted in quite awhile but I still enjoy reading the forum. Figured this was a good place to jump back in. I have one leather jacket, my cockpit horsehide A-2. I wear it everywhere. I've had it for about 4 years and it's still in great shape. It was a present from my girlfriend. We even jokingly named it. We call it Sea Biscuit.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, you at least need 2, a black and a brown, at the very least

But don't forget you also need one in each colour with a moto collar and a "normal" shirt collar so thats 4 at the very least...then what about a button up as well and 1 with an asymmetric zip?

I'd love to be able to settle for just 1 jacket but I've compromised and will settle on 1 of each type and colour lol

pawineguy

One Too Many
Heading out to dinner last night with the prospect of some snow or rain by the time I would be leaving the restaurant... planning out the boots and appropriate jacket to go with them... perhaps having just one would greatly simplify things for me. But agree with @Proteinnerd, I have to have at least brown and black, plus at least one or two dedicated to the bike.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I could get by with six. Three brown... three black. Two, one in each color, medium weight for Spring/Fall, two for Summer if at all. And two shearling lined heavyweights for Winter. The rest could go... maybe a woolie or two here and there.

Worf

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
I went by your location over Christmas holidays, stopped on my way to Montreal (from RI) at Saratoga Springs. You've got it it worse there than we do at the Alpine region, the cold just feels worse, don't know why. I'd need 6 there. In Montreal I'd keep my 12.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I went by your location over Christmas holidays, stopped on my way to Montreal (from RI) at Saratoga Springs. You've got it it worse there than we do at the Alpine region, the cold just feels worse, don't know why. I'd need 6 there. In Montreal I'd keep my 12.

Yeah.... it's pretty rugged up here. Windy, cold, raw and on top of that we get enough snow to make it miserable 4 to 5 times a year. But in the Spring, Summer and especially the Fall... ah then you've got something friend... something beautiful. Hope you had a good time Saratoga can be charming. I personally LOVE Montreal.

Worf

ProteinNerd

Whenever I feel guilty for having a number of jackets, I had over to Style Forum where they like to drop $5k on an off the rack lamb "designer" jacket that they will be lucky to get a few years out of, if its even in style for that long.

trapp

Practically Family
Trapp, the GW Imperial could make you "that guy"
:)

Haha, indeed. When I saw that improved GW Imperial, with the better placed pocket, it struck me that the jacket just about covers all the sweet spots for this enthusiast. A rare and beautiful animal, that jacket.

zhz

Practically Family
Haha, indeed. When I saw that improved GW Imperial, with the better placed pocket, it struck me that the jacket just about covers all the sweet spots for this enthusiast. A rare and beautiful animal, that jacket.

John made another one, which looks even better IMO.

Californian_Jacket.jpg

Superfluous

Black or Brown or Russet
Yes

Horse or Steer or Goat
Yes

Military or Moto or Civilian
Yes

Zip or Button
Yes

Long or Short
Yes

Heavy or Light
Yes

How many jackets does that equal?

The truth is that the vast majority of us have far more jackets than we “need” and, at this juncture, our purchases have little to do with need, as opposed to a combination of desire, passion, obsession, addiction and irrational exuberance. In Alcoholics Anonymous, one of the questions designed to help people determine if they you are an alcoholic is: “Have you ever attended a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous?” By analogy: “Have you ever posted on an internet forum discussing jackets,” or “do you regularly read any internet forums discussing jackets”? if you answered yes to either question, will one jacket ever be enough?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I have only one more jacket that I "need" (and will probably ebay it anyway), which makes me feel good. It's nice to be "normal" in at least one area.

P.S. I sort of disagree though. My friend said something relevant years ago: Any man can afford one "passion." He might not be able to afford two or whatever; but definitely one. So if you're passionate about something and able to afford it, I would hardly call it an obsession. I'd say it's more like collecting art, which doesn't become an "obsession" until you go way overboard.

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Although I have been on the Quest for the Holy Grail of repro Irvins, for many, many years, I have only had one at a time. In order to buy the next one I sold the one I had. So I am that one and only Irvin type of man.

On the other hand I used to own several A2's (5 or 6) at one time until I sold some of them and donated the rest to charity. End of the A2 jackets in my closet......for a month. Missed to own just ONE A2 - besides my ONE Irvin. That way I could have a leather jacket for spring/summer/fall and a jacket for fall/winter/spring. So I looked hard a bought a Aero A2 (Real deal HH) - and that's that. That's it. NO MORE LEATHERJACKETS!!!!

Edward

Bartender
How many do I need? Really *need*? Probably none. There was a time I only *wanted* one, a Perfecto type, in black. Now, though, I'll probably be happy with ten. ;) Different colours, weights. I've stretched that to fastenings too, but that's enabling, really. The point is well made above that in the era most folks would have only had one, with much smaller wardrobes in general. Reality is that we all want to recreate the wardrobes of the very wealthy... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy