Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lightweight vs Dressweight Felt

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Hi, I've been intending to post here again, but kept forgetting. I went with a silverbelly lightweight, same dimensions as my oxblood dressweight (2.5" brim, 6 " crown), and it's an amazing hat! There is a startlingly HUGE difference in the thickness of the felt. The feel is much different. I wouldn't say I like one better than the other, but I can certainly see why the lightweight is so popular. It just feels like it required for effort, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

mingoslim

Practically Family
I have three ArtLite's, have worn them in all weather, and have never had a problem . . . They rank up there with every other hat I have ever had, including my vintage Borsos.

Luis

One of the Regulars
Confirmed with Art yesterday that I'm going with the lightweight one. It was a tough choice but I read lots of good things and I would also want to wear it all year round not being limited to only a panama.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
I've got two dress-weights from Art, one unlined, and have worn both in 80+ temps and high humidity. Yes, there's some sweat, but not as much as I would've thought. That said, I'm in Art's queue for an ArtLite, and saying that I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. When I got the phone call from Art, it was like having Santa respond to your Christmas letter in person!:D

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I chose the light-colored, lightweight in large part because I would much rather well a felt hat than a Panama, as long as it's not too hot. In the sun on a hot day, I have no problem at all with it. It's perfect.

Luis

One of the Regulars
I'll do the panamas if it is 95-100+F, the humidity is Brutal here in Houston. I do prefer the felts but sometimes it is too hot down here.
But I am glad i'm getting a lightweight one for all year, especially the silverbelly since It can go with just about anything. I will whip out the dress VS for when it is raining and it is very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112