Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Like, You know

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I really hate "Like" and "You Know". Mostly because I associate it with lame-brain idiotic teenagers.

"And he was like, totally hot, like, you know what I mean? Like, six feet of like, total muscle and like...praaawwrrr!"

*headslam*

I admit to using "like" occasionally, but I try my very hardest not to use "you know?". Because honestly...NO, they DO NOT KNOW.

Espee

Practically Family
My father was born in West Virginia and spent his teen years in southeastern Kentucky. Through the years a few people have asked me if I came from the south-- in particular when I apparently said "accident" something like "axy-dent."
Nowadays I notice my older sister saying "I have to pay the IN-surance."
My father would say "I think the Angels are playing DEE-troit this week," and he drove my mom nuts with "libary"...
Decades ago, there was a railroad workers' safety campaign telling everyone to "Avoid Axy Dent" with posters showing a cartoon character something like Reddy Kilowatt.

Last edited:

subject101

One of the Regulars
I once met a girl that started almost all her sentences with 'so'. I found it quite funny but some people really get annoyed by this opener.

In my case, I decided to cut all profanity and bad wording from my speech. I did this for no particular reason. Sometimes it is funny because you have to bite your tongue and find a way around to speak your mind.

And it is kinda like difficult, you know, to not look like a snob.

Drappa

One Too Many
It's not so much words, but incessant nonsensical songs I make up and sing to my pets. I actually have a problem and can't stop. Even my husband started using my made up words, rhymes and names for the animals.
He in turn uses the word "right" incessantly, and it drives me nuts. As in "I was walking along, right, and then..." - just sounds so trashy.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I know a guy who used to be an elementary school teacher. Obviously he didn't much care for the students' behavior, because he has a habit of adding 'shhh!' at the end of each sentence, as if he were telling his students to remain quiet. "All's I need is, shhh, a bit of help with, shhh, this, please, shhh." Or something similar to that. Drives me nuts.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I still say y'all and sometimes will slip back into sort of a southern accent when I'm around southern people. I picked it up from living in Virginia for 6 years.

I think I've said "Y'all" maybe once in my life.

I was at a dance here in Australia and asked a new person for a dance. By way of conversation I asked her "Where y'all from?" She replied "Houston" It was a bit embarassing

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I like the story of the Southern women who was in the North at a fancy luncheon. She was talking with a local woman and asked "So, where are y'all from?" The Northerner replied "I'm from where people dont end their sentences with a preposition"

The southern woman replied "Oh, I'm sorry. So, where y'all from, bitch?"

I am terrible. Being rural, I use very rural pronunciations of words when in casual situations.
Insurance is I-surance.
I also get constantly mocked for saying Libary.
My father was born in West Virginia and spent his teen years in southeastern Kentucky. Through the years a few people have asked me if I came from the south-- in particular when I apparently said "accident" something like "axy-dent."
Nowadays I notice my older sister saying "I have to pay the IN-surance."
My father would say "I think the Angels are playing DEE-troit this week," and he drove my mom nuts with "libary"...
Decades ago, there was a railroad workers' safety campaign telling everyone to "Avoid Axy Dent" with posters showing a cartoon character something like Reddy Kilowatt.

I say it doesn't take "Rocket Appliances" it's what my family calls a Rickyism, from the Canadian TV show, "Trailer Park Boys" I'd post a video of Rickyisms, but I won't plague the lounge with that kind of profanity.
Some others are
"Gorilla See, Gorilla Do"
"Wost Case Ontario."
"Get two birds stoned at once"
"NASA" (pronounced Nay-suh)
"Mating Name" (maiden name)
"Ray-kins" (raccoons)
"Deckalls" (decals)
"It's against my Vice Principals"
"Kuh-hay-kee pants"
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm not an optometrist"
"Bottle of joy"
"Frustated"
"PFD" (PHD)
"What comes around is all around"
"Supply and Command"
"Denial and Error"
"Catch 23 Situation"
"Make my words" (mark my words)
"I see who makes the pants around here"
"Hyposuction"
"Indianapolis Jones"
"Electromocuted"
"Search Warranty"
"Swallow my Prize"
"Radies" (rabies)
"Peach and Cake" (piece of cake)
"Stretched out" (stressed out)
"Passed with flying carpets"
"Atodaso" (I told you so)
"Survival of the Fitness"
And one my dad made up and uses all the time "Escalades" (accolades)

I know, it's sad I got this much of my vocabulary comes from a TV show
I have a personal loathing of "It's all good", "Too Easy" "No Brainer" & "It's not rocket science"

I do this too, but it's only because too many times when I'm talking, I completely forget what I was getting at. I'm known to be talking and just stop and go "now what was I saying" or "what was I getting at, again?"
When I was a kid, it was pretty popular to use 'but' as a sentence ender.

I haven't heard it used in a while, but.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
The use of the phrase, "I'm all" when describing one's emotions, thoughts or reactions drives me bananas.

She cut in front of me in the checkout line, and I was all, "The back of the line is behind me!"

AUGH!!!!

I say "awesome" a lot. And "absolutely". My sister and I tend to start our sentences with "So," when talking to each other. I don't do that around other people. I like saying "y'all" even though I live in California. My cussing is frequent. I guess I have a long way to go before I can claim anything resembling proper speech!

RD

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I am terrible. Being rural, I use very rural pronunciations of words when in casual situations.
Insurance is I-surance.
I also get constantly mocked for saying Libary.

I say it doesn't take "Rocket Appliances" it's what my family calls a Rickyism, from the Canadian TV show, "Trailer Park Boys" I'd post a video of Rickyisms, but I won't plague the lounge with that kind of profanity.
Some others are
"Gorilla See, Gorilla Do"
"Wost Case Ontario."
"Get two birds stoned at once"
"NASA" (pronounced Nay-suh)
"Mating Name" (maiden name)
"Ray-kins" (raccoons)
"Deckalls" (decals)
"It's against my Vice Principals"
"Kuh-hay-kee pants"
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm not an optometrist"
"Bottle of joy"
"Frustated"
"PFD" (PHD)
"What comes around is all around"
"Supply and Command"
"Denial and Error"
"Catch 23 Situation"
"Make my words" (mark my words)
"I see who makes the pants around here"
"Hyposuction"
"Indianapolis Jones"
"Electromocuted"
"Search Warranty"
"Swallow my Prize"
"Radies" (rabies)
"Peach and Cake" (piece of cake)
"Stretched out" (stressed out)
"Passed with flying carpets"
"Atodaso" (I told you so)
"Survival of the Fitness"
And one my dad made up and uses all the time "Escalades" (accolades)

Hahahahah!!! I am horribly reminded of the eternal nature of the Bushism now...

Puzzicato

One Too Many
There's always room for a strategically placed...
the-dude.jpg

;)

I like a strategically placed Dude! too. Often when my husband is doing something really unhygienic in the kitchen "Dude! Seriously?"
When I was a kid, it was pretty popular to use 'but' as a sentence ender.

I haven't heard it used in a while, but.

That of course reached its height in the old Burger Rings ad, "Tastes good, but". Which I will still say occasionally when someone points out that bacon causes cancer, or some such.

I like words, and there are lots of turns of phrase that I adopt because they tickle my fancy, although I find that I tend to use them in writing more than speaking because some of them you just have to have the accent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic