Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Like, You know

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
One I personally HATE is when someone mentions themself first when talking/writing a sentence.

"Me, Jake, Sally, the dog and Frank..."
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Drives me crazy! Like punch someone crazy. The thing is its done ALL THE TIME! People/movies/books do it all the time and its very arrogant of the speaker of the sentence, in my opinion. Its also just crappy grammar.

LD

justanuthercap

New in Town
My Grandmother was an English teacher. I still flinch and correct myself when I make an obvious vocabulary error.

The first day driving into my new job I noticed there is a sign posted at the front gate that states "Employees Only Passed This Point". I pointed out this error that same day. It took them 10 YEARS to fix it. They replaced the sign, and it still used the word "passed"! This has been bugging me for more than 16 years!!!!!!

One I personally HATE is when someone mentions themself first when talking/writing a sentence.

"Me, Jake, Sally, the dog and Frank..."
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Drives me crazy! Like punch someone crazy. The thing is its done ALL THE TIME! People/movies/books do it all the time and its very arrogant of the speaker of the sentence, in my opinion. Its also just crappy grammar.

LD

I'm not familiar with that grammar rule. However, orally, putting the pronoun in the beginning sounds jarring.

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face
My favorite poet is Billy Collins and at readings he sometimes points out that we pass the 17 syllable Haiku structure in many places and he often sites this example of two college students he overheard talking once:

When he found out he
was like oh my god and I
was like oh my god

~X

Juliet

A-List Customer
I spent almost 5 minutes yesterday staring at the sentence: "I barley know him" and trying to guess what it meant lol The same text also featured a sentence "That is not aloud in here" (instead of allowed).

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This discussion of grammar and spelling reminded me of this hilarious poem by the great Mr. Taylor Mali. I post it here for your enjoyment.

[video=youtube;OonDPGwAyfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OonDPGwAyfQ[/video]

This discussion of grammar and spelling reminded me of this hilarious poem by the great Mr. Taylor Mali. I post it here for your enjoyment.

Reminds me of Victor Borge's classic Inflationary Language routine.

[video=youtube;YY6kElOYcd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6kElOYcd8&feature=related[/video]

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face

Interestingly enough, that's the poet Billy Collins, whom I just quoted a few posts ago, sitting there on the right side of the screen.

~X

Espee

Practically Family
It seems to be a Mexican-American habit to say "I barely got here" meaning "I arrived just minutes ago"... but it causes me to picture a highway bridge collapsing just after the person's vehicle crossed it, or other such mayhem which he/she narrowly escaped.
In the running for the worst restaurant name-sign ever, was
TACOS'S 4 U
("Nurse, this looks like another case of tacosis!")

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Another term that has cropped up in news stories in recent years is "person of interest"

In other words, he's a SUSPECT.

Actually, there is a reason for law enforcement's use of this term. Under a former test, a detainee could be considered "in custody" for 5th Amendment purposes when he became "the focus" of the officer's investigation. There were other factors in the test, but if the officer considered the person "a suspect", there was a good chance that a court would rule that the detainee was in custody and, therefore, must be advised of his rights pursuant to Miranda before being questioned.

The test has changed and is now based on a objective/subjective standard which looks at when the detainee reasonably believes that he is in custody…the officer’s subjective opinion is no longer relevant.

Also, people who may have information about a case, but who may not be criminally culpable, and who are potiential witnesses...are persons of interest.

AF

Last edited:
I find that there are certain phrases that I fall back on time and again. Some are used to preface an explanation because I have to answer technical questions or explain how to do things a lot in training or discussion. "Basically" is one I use way too much.

Like and you know are for some people fillers similar to the "ahhh" pause which gives them time to think.
(It made me think of pilots on intercoms doing announcements always start with ahhh, possibly because they have voice actuated mikes. "Ahhh -we just gotten permission for final approach." "Ahhhh -the weather is 78 degress and sunny here in Miami.")

My favorite use of like and you know was an interview on TV news from the late 1980's at a high school in El Monte or Pico Rvera. Several students had either gotten drunk or drugged up and were found passed out on school grounds. A high school girl probably 15-16 years old speaking in that special lilting almost sing song speech pattern of the area was interviewed surrounded by her friends at school. Giggling, she said in response to a question as to what she had seen: "And LIKE, they LIKE, were LIKE, all LIKE, (then she made a face to indicate inebriated) YOU KNOW?!"

I was stunned, it was the most amazing near none verbal descriptive interview I have ever seen and was burned into my brain as an example of the education level of high school students in Southern California.

I try to use "as if" or "similar to" instead of like when I can recall.

Last edited:

Juliet

A-List Customer
My favorite use of like and you know was an interview on TV news from the late 1980's at a high school in El Monte or Pico Rvera. Several student had either gotten drunk or drugged up and were found passed out on school grounds. A high school girl probably 15-16 years old speaking in that special lilting almost sing song speech pattern of the area was interviewed surrounded by her friends at school. Giggling, she said in response to a question as to what she had seen: "And LIKE, they LIKE, were LIKE, all LIKE, (then she made a face to indicate inebriated) YOU KNOW?!"

I do realise this is rather a somber matter, but you've just provided me with a few minutes of sorely needed merriment, thank you!

Fer sure, fer sure... lol
[video=youtube;489pO9q8guA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489pO9q8guA&feature=related[/video]

Valley girl was a great representation of the slang and linguistic speech patterns of middle income suburbia high school girls of the great San Fernando Valley and was of the demographics of the time. How ever, there are key elements of Valley Girl that has entered into the main stream across the US. I saw a news report from form a young woman in Baltimore that was straight out of Valley Girl. It was like Oh My God!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot