Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lining aside of mens fedora style hats

jimmytbk

New in Town
hi guys, just started getting into making hats and i love it, can anyone give me advice on lining the side with leather sweatband and silk lining ??

jimmytbk

New in Town
yeah sorry I'm still not full bottle on the names of things, you know the oldscholl hats with the leather band and silk lining on the inside? do you stitch the silk to the leather whats the best way to sew it to the hat??

Attachments

• DSC05198.jpg
    DSC05198.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 247

jimmytbk

New in Town
with all due respect of course ... it seems you may need to do quite a bit more studying before you start making hats
And maybe some spelling lessons haha, I've blocked and stiffen my first to hats and just waiting for my founding jack arrived ... I'm super excited . But I can't seem to find much on the Iside lining ... Or the leathered sweat band and silk.
But who ever said deconstruct an old hat and have a looking is a genius , I'm there tomorrow.

And thanks to everyone for their input

And maybe some spelling lessons haha, I've blocked and stiffen my first to hats and just waiting for my founding jack arrived ... I'm super excited . But I can't seem to find much on the Iside lining ... Or the leathered sweat band and silk.
But who ever said deconstruct an old hat and have a looking is a genius , I'm there tomorrow.

And thanks to everyone for their input

Here's a place to start. https://www.etsy.com/shop/finevintagefedoras?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Jimmytbk, the first hat I ever worked on was an old beat Adam. The sweat was shot and it had/has moth holes, it was pretty filthy, etc. that was the first one I ever gave a naphtha bath to, replaced the sweat, and put on a new ribbon. The work is amatuerish (I'm still a rotten seamstress), but I still wear it and love it. That project gave me the confidence to do others.

Now I've restored several hats and built my last one from the ground up. It was just an old piece of felt I cleaned, reblocked, and put new innards in. I still haven't started from a felt hood, though.

I have had invaluable input/help from FL members, particularly Bond and Cane Rod Maker. It really is a matter of diving in and getting the experience. I would recommend restoring a couple before you try to make one from scratch, but YMMV.

Good luck and keep us posted. The Lounge will give you tips and support.

Sent directly from my mind to yours

RJR

Jimmytbk, the first hat I ever worked on was an old beat Adam. The sweat was shot and it had/has moth holes, it was pretty filthy, etc. that was the first one I ever gave a naphtha bath to, replaced the sweat, and put on a new ribbon. The work is amatuerish (I'm still a rotten seamstress), but I still wear it and love it. That project gave me the confidence to do others.

Now I've restored several hats and built my last one from the ground up. It was just an old piece of felt I cleaned, reblocked, and put new innards in. I still haven't started from a felt hood, though.

I have had invaluable input/help from FL members, particularly Bond and Cane Rod Maker. It really is a matter of diving in and getting the experience. I would recommend restoring a couple before you try to make one from scratch, but YMMV.

Good luck and keep us posted. The Lounge will give you tips and support.

Sent directly from my mind to yours
I agree,start with a couple of restorations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo