Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

List of different hats from more dressy to less dressy?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Sorry, I forgot about other denominations using different terminology for different parts. In Baptist churches, the entire room is called the sanctuary.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. But are the ushers actually telling people to dress up or just looking down their noses at folks?

I don't know what they tell others, but they have told me (I know them) a coat/tie or a suit.

Edward

Bartender
I believe in dressing well for church services; however, I feel even stronger about being welcoming to all.

You only have to hear one or two stories from people who really wanted to try a church but felt unwelcome because they didn't have the clothes to fit in to question the priorities in some places. I will always remember a story one of the teachers who led our school Scripture Union group used to tell us in the 80s/90s. Back in the day, early 70s, he had a colleague who had a relative worked in menswear, and wore all the latest clobber. One Sunday, on a weekend away with a bunch of kids from the SU, they arrived at a conservative village church for service. The colleague, who was wearing a very flash, 'fashion suit', was turned away at the door, told he had "come to worship with the wrong manner of dress." The next year, same place, the guy wore a very conservative suit, all 'ok' by their code - except for a loud tie that he wore just to wind them up. They took one look at him and said he would not be allowed into service because he had "come with the wrong attitude to worship". In both instances I think the church in question was wrong to turn him away, though perhaps there's a fair point to be made about attitude.

I remember being told, as a kid, that I had to dress up for church "because you'd dress up for the Queen, and God is more important than the Queen." (This may have been one of the foundations of my distaste for hereditary leadership.) For many years in the small village church in which I grew up, I opted to wear collar and tie for the simple reason that it was camouflage avoiding me being judged and gossiped about as were other kids who turned up in jeans. When I moved to London, I found a church where the congregation run the full gamut of jeans and t-shirt to what would be, for some, Wedding wear, to traditional dress and all points in between. I still wear collar and tie, but now by choice. It's a much nicer place to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran