Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lock & Co Homburg

Lokar

A-List Customer
I won a Lock & Co Homburg on eBay, posted about it in the eBay hats thread but the post got quite long so I decided to make a new thread - A URL to the eBay thread post is here.

It arrived today, and it wasn't in good condition, as I assumed. I'd like to get some assistance with what I should do with it, if anyone could be so kind.

Here are the problems:
* Crown has quite a few small dents
* Main crease in the crown is not straight and done badly
* Brim is unevenly curved and not "flat" (that is, flat factoring in that it curves)
* Lining is about to fall out (Attached by glue spots, all have unstuck)

On the plus side, the sweatband seems perfect, and it does seem to be a real Lock & Co (both the lining and the sweatband are Lock & Co). If I can get it fixed up then it may have been a great bargain!

I have steamed the hat and somewhat fixed it - I've opened the crown and have managed to smooth out many of the small dents covering it. The major lines formed by the main crease and the front dents are proving quite a challenge to remove. I've also slightly fixed the brim, smoothing it out somewhat, but getting it symmetrical feels like it could be a challenge.

I assume that if I just keep steaming the hat I will be able with time to get rid of the major creases, I'm not so worried about that. What I'd really like help with is:

* What is the best way to adjust the brim of a hat? The actual felt and stitching seems pristine, it's just the asymmetry and the dents in the brim.
* What would be the best way to re-attach the lining? Tucking it properly underneath the sweatband works, and it stays in quite firmly, but I'd like to sometime attach it properly. Stitching won't be an option, so is there any kind of glue that would work well on both felt and lining?
* What's the best way to resize the hat? I've recently bought a hat stretcher, it's still being shipped - Should I wait for it? I assume I should just steam the hat near the sweatband/ribbon and then stretch it with the stretcher or pull it down my head.

It's 8:00 PM here and the sun sets early, but I'll take some photos in sunlight tomorrow and add them to the post. (Edit: Photos added!)

I pushed the crown in to follow the major creases in the crown I mentioned, although through steaming and rubbing I've managed to reduce them quite drastically. I just put them in as I thought it might be easier to see the issue (and it shows a few dents on the crown more when like this).

Sweatband with Lock & Co logo:
P1050983.jpg

Hat:
P1050984.jpg

Hat:
P1050986.jpg

Size Tag:
P1050989.jpg

Lining:
P1050981.jpg

Photos would help, but to get the brim addressed, covering it with a thin towel then using a steam iron to press it. Make sure you don't allow the point of the iron to touch the crown part when you are working in close. This should get your brim in a more uniform state.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Can you send it to Lock and have them renovate it? It would certainly be less expensive than sending it to Optimo, considering shipping costs and duty.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
worthlesswithoutpics that being said :rolleyes: send it out to be renovated especially if you need to re-size it ... but in doing so you will lose the original sweatband that has the providence of the hat, if the lining is serviceable you can retain that. Maybe if you send it Lock & Co Hatters they will restore it to original after re-blocking it. [huh]

----------------
Now playing: Audioslave - Original Fire
via FoxyTunes

Lokar

A-List Customer
Unfortunately as I live in Sweden (originally from the UK, mind), sending it to Lock & Co won't be particularly cheap (postage in Sweden is ridiculously high). It's an option, but as I only bought this hat as it was quite cheap, I don't want to the costs to hike up. If it comes to it, I may take it to Lock & Co when I go to London in September and see what they make of it, but I'll see what I can do myself first.

I'll try your suggestion for the brim gtdean48, thanks!

(As for pics - They'll be up in 12 hours or so! I promise!)

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Lokar said:
Unfortunately as I live in Sweden (originally from the UK, mind), sending it to Lock & Co won't be particularly cheap (postage in Sweden is ridiculously high). It's an option, but as I only bought this hat as it was quite cheap, I don't want to the costs to hike up. If it comes to it, I may take it to Lock & Co when I go to London in September and see what they make of it, but I'll see what I can do myself first.

I'll try your suggestion for the brim gtdean48, thanks!

(As for pics - They'll be up in 12 hours or so! I promise!)

Interesting project! Try to find a local craftsman to do the job.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I would take it to Lock the next time you are in London. it might take time to renovate so first send them an e-mail (with pics) to ask for a quote and completion timescale.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Bump! Photos added.

The state of the brim has improved incredibly with the suggestion gtdean48 gave, and it also seems to be adjusting slightly to what it should be each time I steam it, so I think the brim at least is definitely fixable. I'll see how it works with the shrinking and the crown.

I have sent off a message to Lock & Co, and I'll see if it's a viable option.

(I have received a reply from Lock & Co, they couldn't give me much useful information - they can maybe repair my hat, depends on the condition, they can't give a quote or timescale for the repairing until they've seen the hat in person). For now I'll keep trying at it myself, but if it comes to it I will take it when I go to London.

They were unfortunately unable to check any links given or any attachments, so I can't show them pictures to get a rough idea.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hm, now with the pictures posted, I get the impression the hat is not that old.

There is another member who mentioned in a thread that Christies makes hats for Lock. I recently bought a Christys Homburg for about 50 quid. Some distinctive properties in terms of design- and craftsmanship appear very close to your Lock one.

When in London, go to the Christys place in Kensington Church Street and crosscheck. The benchmark might be enlightening and helpful to decide on your further steps. ;)

Lokar

A-List Customer
Yeah, I didn't think the hat was particularly old (although I also assumed it wasn't almost new, I'd guess 10-20 years - old enough to have been beaten but not old enough to be of amazing quality!)

I was actually originally planning to buy a homburg from Hornets Hats (I believe that's the Christy's place) when I went to London (or rather, try them on and see if they fit, and if they do order them when I return, as I want to buy some hat boxes too and that will be very bulky in my luggage), and may still - depends if I can salvage this hat (Or if Lock & Co don't charge more than £50 for renovation, although I assume they will).

Wil Tam

Practically Family
looks good

Don't ever use glue on your hat ...period... just leave it especially if it isn't going anywhere, but if you must... flip the sweatband out then just stitch on to the reeding going around loosely, it'll make it easier to remove if you need to service it later, production hats used glue to secure the lining because it was quick.

At this point you can mist the crown with some distilled water and massage the creases out then mist some more and set your center dent ... if it's a little snug mist the sweat and wear it on your head pulling it a little then leaving it on to set it, to help it fit better.

To get the brim flat you can wet the binding around with cold distilled water then use your fingers to stretch and relax it all around it then wet the brim and lay it flat on a tabletop brim down, work the curl so that the binding is even all around then leave it to air dry.

Hope that help ya, good luck!

----------------
Now playing: J Mascis - Every Mother's Son
via FoxyTunes

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Lokar,

I was just wondering whatever became of your hat? Did you bring it to Lock & Co on your trip to London? Were you able to have it refurbished?

Let us know how it turned out.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo