Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lola Lamour

Darren van Ek

New in Town
I tried doing a search, had no luck, but I was wondering if anyone has any information or a website for 1940's singer Lola Lamour, I have seen some clips on youtube and really enjoy her music.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
Here is an article this should get you started.

Living in the 00s the 1940s and 1950s way.

"Joanne Massey aka Lola Lamour spoke to Daisy Green Magazine about her love of these decades. My home was built in 1948 and therefore it is only fitting for it to be decorated in the era it was built. People don’t turn an eye when someone reintroduces Victorian and or Edwardian features so why should introducing the 1950s be any different?"

http://www.daisygreenmagazine.co.uk/lead/living-lead/living-in-the-00s/

lola-and-mic-600.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Someone on here will know (she might even be a member)... if memory serves, she is a current performer on the retro-vintage circuit in the UK. I believe she is a friend of several UK forumites, if not an actual member herself. Maybe on facebook or myspace - a lot of performers these days prefer that to a traditional website.

And there we are - the above will certainly help!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lovely redhead...and why would she not keep the name Joanne Massey? It's plenty 40s-sounding...maybe change the spelling to Jo Anne...and show biz was full of Masseys (Raymond, Ilona, Curt).

To be honest? Lola Lamour sounds like a drag queen.

Edward

Bartender
On the vintage / cabaret performers' scene over here, it's pretty much the norm to adopt a stage name for the performing persona, as opposed to your own. Maybe different in the US? A name like Lola Lamour over here is more likely, I think, to be taken for a burlesque girl than a drag artiste, though, I think.

JamesOldBean

New in Town
Lola is very well known for her performances at re-enactment shows. She has a facebook account and was also in a channel 4 doc ...
[video=youtube;kBixE95V43w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBixE95V43w[/video]

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Jo is anything but a drag queen and unlike many of the little madams springing up on the 40s circuit she has real talent and is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet.
Some comments can come across as rather rude, so please bear in mind that people do have feelings and do read the forum. I also know that the stupid tme warp programme upset three very lovely ladies who were edited to suit the producer.
Jo (Lola lamour) has a myspace and Facebook page
Kate

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Boooo!!! Time Warp Wives is "Blocked" in my country. LAME.

Also, I agree that Joanne Massey is a lovely name and prefer it over Lola Lamour, but whatev -- she's still fantastic.

Edward

Bartender
Jo is anything but a drag queen and unlike many of the little madams springing up on the 40s circuit she has real talent and is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet.
Some comments can come across as rather rude, so please bear in mind that people do have feelings and do read the forum. I also know that the stupid tme warp programme upset three very lovely ladies who were edited to suit the producer.
Jo (Lola lamour) has a myspace and Facebook page
Kate

Ah, isn't that the one that was also in the Daily Hate, totally misrepresented them all? Amy, it's not worth seeing, really, if it is.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a thread in the Powder Room from when Time Warp Wives first came out, and it got very unpleasant very fast. A number of people took the show at face value and started piling on about how "anti-feminist" the gals were who were featured, and it wasn't until after the manipulations and misrepresentations were revealed that things settled down and apologies were tendered. I know that Joanne herself read some of the stuff that was posted about the show on the Lounge and was very very upset by the comments directed at her. I hope if she reads this now, that she'll realize that a lot of the viewers were as taken in by the producers as she was.

The big lesson to be learned is that exploitation shows like this are never, ever to be trusted. The people producing the show already have their conclusions in mind long before they ever interview anyone, and no matter what the subjects say, their statements will be edited and filtered to conform with the preconceived view. There's no point in ever trying to argue with someone who controls the final edit.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Jo is anything but a drag queen
I know that. I have eyes. ;)
and unlike many of the little madams springing up on the 40s circuit she has real talent and is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet.
Some comments can come across as rather rude, so please bear in mind that people do have feelings and do read the forum.
I apologize if my comments about her stage name were overly caustic. Let's just say I would have advised her toward something less clichéd. It gave me a feeling of someone who was more about marketing than talent - obviously not who she is.

Got me thinking about what I'd do if I needed to catch on with a persona. Maybe get me a pompadour toop and one of these monikers.

Bob Johnson? lol

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Ah, isn't that the one that was also in the Daily Hate, totally misrepresented them all? Amy, it's not worth seeing, really, if it is.

Oh I'd LOVE to see it and I would get a huge kick out of how awful and twisted it is. My husband is from England so he's told me all about that newspaper. I'm sure he'd be happy to "translate" for me what is going on. Haha!! I do adore the gals on it, especially Joanne. She just seems like someone I'd meet at Reading Air Show and she'd be happy to take the time to talk to us.

Last edited:

Blackjack

One Too Many
I was turned on to "Lola" a few years back in the swing band circuit and IMHO she's got it all, looks , talent, and most of all personality. I'd love to see her perform live someday, though I doubt I'd be going to England for anything. Very charming performer...

Cobden

Practically Family
I think over here we're blessed with a number of talented young ladies on the Vintage performance scene, of which Lola Lamour is the best I have seen perform (though I admit to not really being one of the dancing crowd, I have leant on the bar top at several musical events!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael