Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London

wdw

One Too Many
That's a real shame about the date. Typical bad luck. Never mind, I'll leave the keys to my house under the flower pot on the front step and you can let yourself in for a cup of tea. I'm sure Sloan will look after you, though. Anyway, I hope you get to enjoy your Sheene again soon.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
This thread is getting me excited for my jaunt to London this coming summer. I fear for my wallet if I set foot in Lewis Leathers, however.

Chris, as I shine my crystal ball, I see a visit to to LL in your future, and either a Dominator or Corsair in your future, probably a Dominator size 44 with 1" added to the body, 1.5" added to the sleeves, and a smidgen (1/4" to 1/2") subtracted from the waist and belt areas. :rockon: You NEED a LL to complete your jacket collection. :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure we can find somewhere around the castle for a drink. I think the Bow Bar is calling us...

Only if you're buying, preferably Guinness, definitely NOT American beer! Hey, I have developed a taste for UK ale over the past few years; maybe the Sean Dillon influence. :D

wdw

One Too Many
Ye gods, I've walked past that a hundred times and always thought it looked a bit rough so never went in. But it has the magical Furstenberg on draft. I always thought it only ever came in bottles. I'll definitely check that out next weekend.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, back when i ordered mine you could still chose to have or not have the patch... Now it's not an option anymore, you have to have it.

That's a shame. I wonder why? Maybe they were just getting too many requests for an otherwie stock jacket withoutg the patch? At least it's fairy subtle. You could always take off most of the gold lettering with, I suspect, a touch of nail polish remover. I still have my eye on a Lightning in the original 1958 spec. The logo patch didn't come in until much later. The real offender to my eyes though is the extra zip pocket on the left forearm - those were added around 1962. Never liked the look of them. Cours,e if I got one for stupid cheap, I'd live with it, but...

Intereting to know they've added horse. I suspect it will be very similar to the horse ELC use for their ELMC bike jackets. Markedly lighter than Horween FQHH, but more substantial than the likes of an A2...

They have just re-connected the Edinburgh to Galashiels rail link, so it's about an hour by train.

Oh! Easier than the bus, then. (Though the bus ride from Edinburgh is nice - just longer than a train trip would be.)

This thread is getting me excited for my jaunt to London this coming summer. I fear for my wallet if I set foot in Lewis Leathers, however.

Yeah, be careful..... leave the credit card in the hotel. ;)

No, it's not rough at all. It, and The Cumberland are my two favourite Edinburgh pubs.

The Cumberland? Full of Campbells, I imagine? ;)

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Nice to hear you had a good time Fanch! I failed to visit Lewis Leather on my past visit to London, spent too much time sitting at Covent Garden and walking through Savile Row. I definitely have to get there next stay, especially now that they carry horsehide.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, look forward to pics. Cow or horse, it's all good!

So, i picked up the jacket, it is in cow, which i am happy with, kinda, it's nicer than my Dominator, I actually wish my Dominator had the same leather.
It's somewhat thicker than mine and a lot waxier, it really is nice and looks like it will age and develop better than mine.

On the other hand, i wasn't really impressed by their horse!
I found them to have very thick finishes, they had a very plasticy feel and touch.
Saying that, they told me they hadn't really settled on a specific leather source yet, so things might still change.

Personally if i had to order myself a jacket today i would still go for their standard cow!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Is there an upcharge for the horse? I'd be tmepted to stick with the cow too, as that's what Lewis always had 'back in the day', so...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Is there an upcharge for the horse? I'd be tmepted to stick with the cow too, as that's what Lewis always had 'back in the day', so...

No there isn't, it's the same price.
Honestly it felt like the whole horse thing is so new they aren't even sure what is going on.

On their facebook it says that all made to measure jackets are now in horse, with cow being an option, and all the colors are now horse.
In the store they told me they would carry on using cow unless horse is asked for, and that the colored leathers will be horse or cow, depending on the color.

They had brown, black, yellow, green and blue in horse. The black one was the best looking one, but to me it still didn't look very good when compared to what ELMC, Aero, or other makers offer.
It is far from Shinki or Vincenza... There is little grain, and a very thick top coat that almost look like paint.

I think they have just decided to offer horse because more and more annoying people like us keep asking for it, but it looks like they haven't sorted out the logistics behind it yet.
If you really want horse i would wait a little, give them time to figure things out.
On the other hand, like you say, historically speaking Lewis Leathers has always been cow... Can't go wrong with it.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
At the time I visited the LL store, the only two jackets that I compared was one black cow and one black HH. As I recall both had rather smooth finishes, although my preference was the look and feel of HH over cow but hard for me to apply specific rationale, and I would likely be equally happy with either. [huh] Not really a dramatic difference between the two, at least initially. How both will look in another 1-2 years might be a different story. All of this speculation is what keeps this forum interesting. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy