Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Last month prior to a two-week HA cruise of the Norwegian fjords, I was able to spend almost a week in London, which I found to be a fascinating big city, although I found that if one walks at all tentatively on the streets, one is likely to be run over and turned into sidewalk kill by pedestrians. :eeek: Initially I was overwhelmed by the London Underground (Tube) but much less so by the second day. Kudos to a couple of TFL members - Craig (Sloan) and Eric (wdw) for pointers on what to see while there and how to go about doing it.

Since I traveled with my wife and daughter, I had to hit all of the usual sites (Hampton Court Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, London Tower & Bridge, etc. However, two stores that were on MY short list were Lewis Leathers and American Classics.

The first was Lewis Leathers, and was given directions there by Tim Sabin while my wife and daughter were both doing something else. Since I was alone, I was not pressed for time and was able to finally try on stuff there. Specifically, I found that the two jackets of most interest to me were the Dominator and the Corsair. Although the Corsair has a less busy outward appearance than the Dominator, I found that the slant of the handwarmer pockets on the Dominator seemed to be better positioned for use as handwarmers than the Corsair. I pointed this out to Tim who illustrated how the pockets on the Dominator were slightly more vertical than on the Corsair. Anyhow, enough of a difference to make me favor the Dominator.

Both above models were sized the same. I had heard that the Lewis jackets were sized a bit small and found this to be my experience, and noted that a size 44 Dominator seemed to best work for me, although I would need to add 1" to the body and 1.5" to 2" to the sleeves from the standard. Most were lined with red quilted cotton, but found my preference to be olive non-quilted cotton that I saw on a couple there. I also I found I preferred their black horsehide over the cowhide. I was really impressed with the Lewis product and thoroughly enjoyed visiting with Tim.

The other store that I liked was American Classics but walked in there with my wife and daughter, my wife fidgeting and looking at her watch the entire time we were there. [huh] Later that day though I returned the favor while at Fortnum & Mason's. :D For the brief time I was at American Classics I enjoyed talking to Julian Bates, who is a Brit but found he attended high school in a Dallas suburb just 2-3 miles from my home. Small world.

For the first time ever, I was able to look at and try on a couple of Eastman jackets and found Eastman's USN Model 442-A in size 46 was a perfect fit. I could have easily spent another couple of hours there but felt my wife's hand in the small of my back pushing me out the door after 15-20 minutes. :D

Anyhow, I though I'd share my brief experience with those two stores and what seemed to fit and catch my fancy while there. Again, I thoroughly enjoyed visting with Tim Sabin and Julian Bates, and again acknowledge Sloan and wdw giving me the heads up.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Glad you enjoyed London! If you really wanted to experience death by pedestrian you should have tried standing on the left on the Tube escalators!
Thats where tourists go to die!

Are you sure you saw horsehide in LL? I was there not long ago and all they had was their classic cowhide and a lightweight capeskin.
I dont think they have ever offered horse... I am going there next week to pickup a jacket, will ask them.
It is a great shop... Glad it gets mentionned here, they deserve more attention on TFL i think.

Great read, Fanch, thanks for sharing!

Carlos, they had made a limited run of jackets in HH for the Japanese (or Korean?) market. I remember seeing a Dominator in HH (it looks very similar to their cow, at least on the photos) but there possibly were some other models made out of it, too.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, the first day I was standing on the left on a Tube escalator, and a helpful Londoner diplomatically told me to move to the right side as the left side is where Yank "tourists go to die!" :D You are right - LL is a great shop, and I do recall Tim showing me a LL horsehide jacket while there. I think both LL's cowhide and horsehide are chrome tanned and loved the feel and texture of both skins, more so the horsehide. Tim told me either skin can be ordered, and also choice of lining too. I thought the quilted might be a bit too warm for N Texas. Carlos I also recall your posting your LL Dominator awhile back. Do you still have it?

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Great read, Fanch, thanks for sharing!

Carlos, they had made a limited run of jackets in HH for the Japanese (or Korean?) market. I remember seeing a Dominator in HH (it looks very similar to their cow, at least on the photos) but there possibly were some other models made out of it, too.

Maybe some limited special runs, but i was in there 2 months ago ordering a jacket for my girlfriend, and they just had Cow and Sheep, as mentioned on their website. I asked about horse and they just said it wasn't an option and never was.
Just wondering if the horse is a new thing, or if Fanch mistook the sheep for horse...

Edit: Well, looking through their facebook i just found this:

This lovely worn-in UVR2 is made from horse hide which is now available as standard for all of our made-to-measure jackets. This one is nicely worn in to give you an idea of how yours will look after some time.

Under close inspection horse hide is similar to cow hide in look and strength, but, over time, the shorter fibres create finer creases and grain, creating a patina distinctly different from a jacket made of cow hide. Our horse hide is the same thickness as the cow we use and offers the same protection. Horse hide is also now standard for our coloured leather jackets.

Though we are discontinuing coloured cow hide, we will still offer our black cowhide as an option, as well as vegetable tanned sheep leather in black and a number of other shades.

So it looks like they are indeed offering horse! The post is dated 31st August, so it is pretty new.
Sorry i doubted you Fanch...

And yes, i still have the Dominator, it's not going anywhere...

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe some limited special runs, but i was in there 2 months ago ordering a jacket for my girlfriend, and they just had Cow and Sheep, as mentioned on their website. I asked about horse and they just said it wasn't an option and never was.
Just wondering if the horse is a new thing, or if Fanch mistook the sheep for horse...

Carlos, I live in Texas where it is a hanging offense to mistake sheep for horse. :D Next time you are in the LL shop be sure to ask Tim but am certain he told me I could order in horsehide and recall seeing at least one black horsehide jacket while I was there.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, I live in Texas where it is a hanging offense to mistake sheep for horse. :D Next time you are in the LL shop be sure to ask Tim but am certain he told me I could order in horsehide and recall seeing at least one black horsehide jacket while I was there.

Sorry, read my previous edited post, i solved the mistery!

wdw

One Too Many
Fanch, I'm glad that you had a good trip to London and got to try out a couple of relevant stores. Especially good that you got to wear your great new Sheene on the trip as well.

I was in American Classics a few months ago and it was quite interesting to see the sort of stuff we all talk about here. I didn't feel the urge to buy anything, though.

Hopefully we can have a TFL mini meet in Edinburgh as part of your next cruise if that's still going ahead. Maybe even cram in a trip to Aero if you have time.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Carlos I had saved your original post from almost two years ago as I thought at the time what an interesting jacket you have that is a bit reminscent of the old WW II German Luftwaffe jacket.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74729-Lewis-Leathers-Dominator-No-551

I noted that yours is missing the LL patch above the left chest pocket, which small patch IMO detracts somewhat from an otherwise clean look. Tim told me that eliminating the patch was not an option. I suppose he has a point as the patch is a defining mark of a LL garment.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos I had saved your original post from almost two years ago as I thought at the time what an interesting jacket you have that is a bit reminscent of the old WW II German Luftwaffe jacket.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74729-Lewis-Leathers-Dominator-No-551

I noted that yours is missing the LL patch above the left chest pocket, which small patch IMO detracts somewhat from an otherwise clean look. Tim told me that eliminating the patch was not an option. I suppose he has a point as the patch is a defining mark of a LL garment.

Yeah, back when i ordered mine you could still chose to have or not have the patch... Now it's not an option anymore, you have to have it.

I got a call from LL friday telling me the jacket i ordered was ready. I ordered in June, before horse was available, but they now say that all made to measure jackets will be in horse, and that cow will be an option.
I wonder if it will be in horse or cow... I kinda hope it is horse!

I should pick it up tuesday, will report back.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, I'm glad that you had a good trip to London and got to try out a couple of relevant stores. Especially good that you got to wear your great new Sheene on the trip as well.

I was in American Classics a few months ago and it was quite interesting to see the sort of stuff we all talk about here. I didn't feel the urge to buy anything, though.

Hopefully we can have a TFL mini meet in Edinburgh as part of your next cruise if that's still going ahead. Maybe even cram in a trip to Aero if you have time.

A July HA Scottish/Irish cruise is on the books for next summer. We will be in Rosyth (Edinburgh) and Invergordon (Inverness) but think that Galashiels is probably too far inland for a side trip and might be a bridge too far. [huh] I definitely found that summer in the UK and Norway is far more agreeable than summers in N Texas and suspect the same will hold true for Scotland and Ireland as well. I recall Holly telling me how she dreaded 78F (25C) May temperature in Austin, Texas. She should be there in August when it is 105F (40C)! :D

Justhandguns

Practically Family
For your reference guys/lads, there's a relative new denim/vintage fashion shop right near the corner of Lewis Leathers in Windmill street. They have plenty of Japanese denim if it is your cup of tea (and a couple of leather jackets as well, probably Japanese as well?).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A July HA Scottish/Irish cruise is on the books for next summer. We will be in Rosyth (Edinburgh) and Invergordon (Inverness) but think that Galashiels is probably too far inland for a side trip and might be a bridge too far. [huh] I definitely found that summer in the UK and Norway is far more agreeable than summers in N Texas and suspect the same will hold true for Scotland and Ireland as well. I recall Holly telling me how she dreaded 78F (25C) May temperature in Austin, Texas. She should be there in August when it is 105F (40C)! :D

They have just re-connected the Edinburgh to Galashiels rail link, so it's about an hour by train.

wdw

One Too Many
Fanch, I've just booked the first two weeks in July to the US, so I hope your Scottish visit falls after that.

Sloan, we could all do Rosyth to Aero in an hour by car, but I'm sure Mrs Fanch would rather see Edinburgh Castle and the like. Hopefully we can satisfy everyone one way or another. I hope we get a pic of Fanch in a See-You-Jimmy hat and mini-kilt, though. That would make a great sticky :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Eric, as I peer into my crystal ball, I see Edinburgh Castle, etc. in my future rather than Galashiels. :cry: lol Where will you be in the US in July? Hopefully Alaska, NOT Houston. [huh]

wdw

One Too Many
Fanch, the castle it is, and more old stuff besides. We'll be in Chicago and NYC, as we just fancy an easy cultural city break after too much driving in the US the last two summer holidays.

So when's your ETA in Rosyth? Hopefully me, Sloan and any other local members can at least come and say hello.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, the castle it is, and more old stuff besides. We'll be in Chicago and NYC, as we just fancy an easy cultural city break after too much driving in the US the last two summer holidays.

So when's your ETA in Rosyth? Hopefully me, Sloan and any other local members can at least come and say hello.

I'll be in Rosyth (Edinburgh) Scotland July 8th, Invergordon (Inverness) July 9th, Kirkwall July 10th, Portree (Isle of Skye) July 11th, and then to Ireland. I suspect you will be in the US while I am in Scotland, so I am depending on Sloan to show up somewhere along my way. Be sure to do the Architectural Tour on the Chicago River while you are in Chicago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21