Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long (double) Riders?

Long Xzip Coats? Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

Vanson Slade.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Not my style, but then I also do not care for "too short" either.

I suspect this will be interesting to see results of...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I just realized I posted some misleading photos.

basically the length would cover half of the buttocks and not longer like an actual coat which would cover the whole butt and more. So what an older wool sports jacket/blazer length would be, about 29”.

length like these:
IMG_0430.jpeg

Even this old ad looks long, but it says only 25”. That minus the collar it would only be 23.5”, but the illustration show it covers 1/2 of the butt. I have seen another illustration of this jacket where the model had to lift the jacket to put his hand in the pant pocket. I’ll try to find it again.
IMG_0433.jpeg

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Longest I would do is 26" for a cross-zip, that's how long my Vanson Model E is and that's also my limit I think. I prefer them medium-short length for the typical styles I think of.

What threw a spanner in the works was that I really dig that Langlitz you posted, more of a different style with the additional pockets and it works well I think.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I petition that we need to stop vslling them "double riders." It's not only incorrect, it actually perpetuates misinformation as many cross zip jackets are not motorcycle jackets

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I agree, think they were called aviation cycle jackets, or something like those words.

Anyways, the Vanson E is a good example. My E is the newer year model and is 26” long, 27.5” including collar. I always felt the belt is in the wrong position for me. I’m wearing it at where it works for me below. So if it was a shorter 24.5” jacket perfect, or it can be longer like the threads poll.
IMG_1607.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg
IMG_1622.jpeg

Thanks HandyMike you’ve read my mind. I was debating between the Langlitz and the Johnson. I’ve never seen one worn out in the wild. Lots of HD Townsman type but not the overlapped lapel type.

For clarity, I’m not saying lengthening motorcycle jackets. In fact for my E I wished it was shorter. But am looking for something more along the lines of a double breasted jacket with a zip instead of them buttons.

Let me find that pony hide vintage ad that picture will explain a lot better than what I did here.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0439.jpeg

This the one image that has me scratching my head. Those are high rise trousers for sure, but the jacket looks like it’s covering 3/4 of the butt and front. And he lifted the side of the jacket to access the pant pocket.

This would be the fit length and proportion I was looking for.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
why would he place his hand on the pants pocket while the jacket comes with handwarmers, perhaps it was purposefully designed to cover the pants pocket to make it more secure perhaps in public setting like in busy tourist area and amusement park from pickpockets, I think buttons would make longer jacket more liveable, sure you can mimick the similar look with double zip, but opening and closing double zipper vs button is very different, with buttons you can freely pick your option by just closing or opening more buttons instantly with one hand without even looking, with double zip you need both hands, and you have to look down to the very bottom of the zip make sure you hold the bottom slider down while anchoring the pin. I love double zip on my jackets but on longer jacket buttons work much better imo.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think if you plan to order a longer jacket with hand warmer positioned lower like that picture that is mostly affected with creasing run across it when you sit or twist your waist to the side, or reach your pants pocket, then you better have the handwarmer either : cut more slanted, backed with wider strip of leather on the opening , or install a zipper to close it while unused. because it will gap open and will show the pocket bag if the leather backing is not wide enough. unless of course if you want to show off the contrasting pocket bag as accent or something, like black jacket with red pocket bag peeking a bit from the hand warmer or something.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think if you plan to order a longer jacket with hand warmer positioned lower like that picture that is mostly affected with creasing run across it when you sit or twist your waist to the side, or reach your pants pocket, then you better have the handwarmer either : cut more slanted, backed with wider strip of leather on the opening , or install a zipper to close it while unused. because it will gap open and will show the pocket bag if the leather backing is not wide enough. unless of course if you want to show off the contrasting pocket bag as accent or something, like black jacket with red pocket bag peeking a bit from the hand warmer or something.
I know what you mean I have that problem on my surcoat. Zipper on pocket would be a must or at least an invisible snap so it doesn't flare open.

These are surcoat length (I modified my earlier post). They were 26-27” long. A great length IMO.
This explains a lot. Thanks HM.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Why not? I always have my hands in my pants pockets, although some jackets have pockets. Probably because the pants pockets are further down and thus more relaxed for the arm.
Besides, I think it looks better on this illustration.
Me too, I usually prefer pants pocket, especially when my jackets have zip pockets, don't like the feeling of the teeth on my wrists.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Why not? I always have my hands in my pants pockets, although some jackets have pockets. Probably because the pants pockets are further down and thus more relaxed for the arm.
Besides, I think it looks better on this illustration.
Me too. In fact it annoys me when my jacket is too long and I cannot jam my hands into my pants pocket.

Edward

Bartender
I like the first few in this thread, which were clearly designed to be that length. The Vanson Model E wouldn't work on me, though I can see it appealing to someone with a longer torso. It puts me in mind of a lot of crosszips I've seen on the fashion and motorcycle markets both, with the original design elongated either to match trouser "waist"bands having migrated significantly south of the natural waist, or intended to cover the lower back better in a crouched riding position on a modern racing style bike. For me it throws the style off balance.

Goel

A-List Customer
They look good if they're designed to be that way, though I'm not a fan of belted styles. Colimbo had something I thought looked kind of neat.

colimbo .jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy