Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long wool coat

Wasz

New in Town
I've been trying for a good while now to find a long wool coat for winters. I'm running into some problems. The styles I find all seem too dressy, I'm a blue jeans and shirt person. The coats tend to look too much like I need a suit on underneath it, just too dress up.

So I looked into great coats, they seem less dressy to me, but any place that seems to sell them are mostly military surplus. I'm 6'3" tall, weigh 245lbs and have long arms. I doubt a large in military sizes will fit me well.

So here I sit style challenged asking for suggestions. Is there a way to get a long wool coat that is casual enough to wear everyday without having one custom made for tons of money?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I'm 6' 4" and take a size 36 sleeve shirt so you have my sympathy trying to find a suitable coat.

I'd say just keep hitting both E*ay and your local thift/vintage stores regularly. And as one FL member pointed out in another thread, don't forget to check the ladies' coat racks in thrift stores, especially the larger/busier ones, as mens' coats can often end up there. When shopping online, just be sure that you know your 'across the shoulder' and 'shoulder to end of cuff' measurements as many vintage coats in larger sizes were less than generous in these... for a lighter, more casual coat, use terms like top coat, men's wool coat and wool trench coat on E*ay...

Don't despair! We went to the coast for two nights this past weekend and I found a perfect condition 1940s overcoat in a charity (thrift) store - it does happen. I wore it out yesterday with just a 'double v' sweatshirt, jeans and packer boots, and it looked great!

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Wasz said:
I've been trying for a good while now to find a long wool coat for winters. I'm running into some problems. The styles I find all seem too dressy, I'm a blue jeans and shirt person. The coats tend to look too much like I need a suit on underneath it, just too dress up.

So I looked into great coats, they seem less dressy to me, but any place that seems to sell them are mostly military surplus. I'm 6'3" tall, weigh 245lbs and have long arms. I doubt a large in military sizes will fit me well.

So here I sit style challenged asking for suggestions. Is there a way to get a long wool coat that is casual enough to wear everyday without having one custom made for tons of money?

Just a suggestion, but had you ever looked on the Sportsman's Guide under Military Surplus?

-Belgian Military Wool Overcoat: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-belgian-military-overcoat-navy-blue.aspx?a=504810 @ $39.97
-Used French Military Cavalry Motorcycle Coat: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-french-military-cavalry-motorcycle-coat.aspx?a=486640 ON SALE! @ $19.97 (I'd layer underneath).....stylish though.

Optionseeker

New in Town
westinghouse said:
The Schott naval pea coat is perfect.

If this is what you mean by a long coat then I will suggest the Filson Cruiser, style 110 in extra long. I just took my 13 yr old one out of the closet and was marveling at how great it still looks. Too bad I've dropped enough weight that it is too big for me now. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner