Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longer jackets in HH; Aero Teamster etc.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
True Fanch. But I've sold most of my leather jackets now and am trying to be good. :D I only have 3 left and their status is tenuous.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I love heavy jackets, my next one will be an Aero in the 4 oz cordovan steer and I'll ask for the heavier the better. I cannot decide whether to go for a slightly overlong Highwayman (26" desired) or a Veste de Rallye. After reading your comments here, I'm fairly sure which one you would recommend to me. :D

I'd have the VDR over the Highwayman EVERY day of the week ( nothing wrong with the Highwayman it just has far more limited application than the VDR ) .... A longer jacket can be worn in a smart and casual setting, is happily at home with jeans or a shirt and tie, it can be layered or used as an overcoat and it's practically indestructable ..... what's not to like :)

wdw

One Too Many
I agree about the longer jackets being the most useful single buy. If I was only allowed one jacket, I'd choose my Stockman simply because I wear it more often and in more varied situations than any other jacket.

Shorter ones look better, but for me have more limited use.

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
I think oneterrificdog has nailed it. Intense Wear is the answer. I had a Long Half Belt that I wore in an open top car with bucket seats. After three years of ownership it still hit my ears when I got onto the car. I now have a 20's Work Coat in vicenza and love it's wearability. Having said that I love the look of Aero's FQHH. Maybe the best route is go for FQHH but ask Aero to use the lighter hides that they have in. Seal jerky would also be a nice option.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Longer leather jackets look good, but you have to be able to pull it off. When choosing leather jackets IMO it's critical you know which leather your personality and physical appearance can pull off.

Most, I would say can't pull off a Perfecto, or real long leather like an Aero Barnstormer or Northeaster. The Teamster is likely a good compromise, it's subtle for a long leather jacket.

I don't have a ton of experience with heavy leather jackets other than riding jackets, but I could imagine a leather jacket like a Barnstormer in 3.5 or 4.0 ounce FQHH would be unmanageable for me for everyday wear. I would definitely go for a lighter hide, but that's all personal preference and opinion.

wdw

One Too Many
I wouldn't worry too much about the stiffness of FQHH. My Stockmans are considerably softer than my shorter jackets.

Apart from them being worn more often, I think it's maybe because there are less seams per square yard or whatever, maybe making it more pliable. And they're not half belts, with the extra around the waist.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Apart from them being worn more often, I think it's maybe because there are less seams per square yard or whatever, maybe making it more pliable. And they're not half belts, with the extra around the waist.

From a Structural Engineering point of view you are completely right!

Reactions: wdw

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Longer leather jackets look good, but you have to be able to pull it off. When choosing leather jackets IMO it's critical you know which leather your personality and physical appearance can pull off.

Most, I would say can't pull off a Perfecto, or real long leather like an Aero Barnstormer or Northeaster.

I respectfully disagree with this. The Barnstormer is actually quite a versatile coat. Back in the day here at FL the Barnstormer was a fairly common coat to see posted here in new acquisition threads, and there was a fair amount of people of different shapes and sizes buying them and wearing them, and wearing them well. One of the things some of us old timers at TFL have seen around is a shift away from longer jackets. Back in the earlier days at TFL longer jackets and coats were fairly common - whereas a lot of the shorter styles which get posted here now were very uncommon.

Aero's Barnstormer is actually an extremely versatile jacket, the fact that you can remove the belt means that you can change the whole feel and look of the coat. Because it's a longer jacket it's flattering to most body shapes unlike waist length jackets which can accentuate chubbiness, but it can also still look great on leaner body types.

IMHO it's one of the best patterns that Aero offer.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Most, I would say can't pull off a Perfecto, or real long leather like an Aero Barnstormer or Northeaster. The Teamster is likely a good compromise, it's subtle for a long leather jacket.

I don't have a ton of experience with heavy leather jackets other than riding jackets, but I could imagine a leather jacket like a Barnstormer in 3.5 or 4.0 ounce FQHH would be unmanageable for me for everyday wear. I would definitely go for a lighter hide, but that's all personal preference and opinion.
Funny, but I've never thought of these jackets as being all that long. I suppose that's because, back in the early Seventies, I wore both suede and leather "gangster" coats, the kind that buttoned up the front and extended a good two or three inches longer than my LHB.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
There is some logic in knowing what clothing "works" or doesn't work for a specific person. Whether it be certain fabrics, styles, or colors which I think is most important. Ie, for me, my eastern european white boy skin tone doesn't sit will with russet hide colors or lighter color seal goat (gibson barnes). However, the darker color hides (black, dark brown, dark seal) offer a better contrast which seems to work for me.

As for longer coats, I just picked up a Black fqhh barnstormer from Aero's sale page which should be arriving tomorrow. It's actually a shorter barnstormer at 30.5" which should sit well with me being 5'10. Yet, if this coat was brown/burgundy, it wouldn't be my style/nor would I think I could "pull it off"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo