Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Look for the Union Label

buler

I'll Lock Up
I looked for a good thread on the union stamps and couldn't really find one. Since this subject came up in the post your hats thread today, I thought I'd start one where we can consolidate what we know. I'll start with this 1917 ad that states the Young Hat Co was the first mfg to use this union stamp for straw hats. The ad was in a fall edition of the American Hatter from 1917.

B

union_lable_fall_1917.jpg

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Here is the second stamp in action.

"
The United Hatters Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (UHCMW) was formed in 1934 by the amalgamation of United Hatters of North America (UHNA) and the Cloth Hat, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (CHCMW)."

B

maclachlan_11.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Another timeline quote,

"The United Hatters Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (UHCMW) was formed in 1934 by the amalgamation of United Hatters of North America (UHNA) and the Cloth Hat, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (CHCMW). The United Hatters of North America (UHNA) was established in New York in 1896 as the resultof the merger of two Kinights of Labor-affiliated unions in the men's hat industry, the the Hat Makers and the Hat Finishers. The Cloth Hat, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union (CHCMW) was established in New York in 1901, as the United Cloth Hat and Cap Makers of North America (superceding the the Cloth Hat and Cap Operators Union), and took its final name (adding Millinery Workers) in 1918. In 1983 the UHCMW joined the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, which in turn merged in 1995 with the Internional Ladies Garment Workers Union to form UNITE (Union of Needletrades, Industrial and Textile Employees)."

B

HatsEnough

Banned
1890s or early 1900s high derby

scaled.php

The hat was sold by Romeiser's of Southern Illinois.

scaled.php

As you can see it is the old hatters union label, not the post 1934 version.

Interesting that the letter references woven hats. I assume the bodies for these hats did not originate in union shops or in the United States. Do you think that Young Hat Company was the first granted permission to display the union label on any hat, or does this refer to straw hats made from imported bodies?

Here is the pre-1934 label on an optimo blocked Panama that I own.

UhONA.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I have several Crofut & Knapp hats from before 1909 that have the United Hatters of North America label, so I'm not sure what the Young hats are specifically referring to, though I haven't seen that particular logo before.

Brad

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I have a Chelson of New York fedora with that exact union label. The size label (which is a 7 1/2!) is the old style black with gold lettering. I bought it on ebay. It does have an unreeded sweat. I'm sure it's quite old though in perfect condition except the sweat is coming loose.

"A facsimile of the label is printed hereon, and is the same as found in felt hats, soft and stiff, made in Union Factories."

It seems quite clear that the letter is referring to (for the sake of generalizing) straw bodied hats, and that the label was already in use for felt hats at the time of the letter.

bk

HatsEnough

Banned
Baron is correct. It is pretty clear that the letter is basically stating that the company in question was going to henceforward put the label on Straws just like was already being done on felts.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Late 1890's/Early 1900's Fisher Brothers Boater union label

DSC06446.jpg

Notice on the bottom of the tag is says, "Straw Panama."

I wonder why there was a stamp distinction between a straw hat and a felt hat at this time period?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Union labels

Late 1890s Early 1900s Champion Hat Derby

DSC06758.jpg

Early 1900's (Von Gal) Caravan Derby

DSC06518.jpg

1920's Lion Brand Fedora

DSC05770.jpg

1920's "The Magic Hat" Derby

DSC05470.jpg

1920s-1930s Heather Felt Medium Longhair

DSC04685.jpg

1930's Adam Fedora (Post-1934)

DSC05406.jpg

1930s ADAM LongRoyal (Post-1934)

DSC05595.jpg

1940s Warburton Schoble

DSC05907.jpg

1950s Mallory Twenty 20

1950sMalloryTwenty2013.jpg

1960s LEE water bloc

DSC05129.jpg

I have other examples. These are just a few.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ