Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a source for tartan linings.

lina

Practically Family
I've got a used black leather jacket coming in soon and am planning to have it relined. I've a guy who will do it, but I need to get my own fabric. Wondering if there is anyplace to get good tartan lining without having to order from the UK..? (I am in the US.) Also interested in possibly a traditional quilted red lining, if anyone has a lead on that instead. Thanks!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
It all Depends, what type of Jacket, how old is it, what has it got now? Material is *Critical* to do right..Is it a true vintage classic biker Jacket? The answer is to leave it be in that case.

If you so desire a new lining: I recommend the traditional Red-Quilted poly style lining because its light, durable, dries quick and can breathe, so what is right in your case? You want Flannel? what? Heres an idea if you dont care so much and are happy go lucky about it, I say pick up a Jacket from a thrift store that is Butt-ugly or cheap but has an excellent liner you could live with and swap it out. Done. Easy 123.

Dont waste time and money.

You want Tartan? Really? recycle a Kilt for like $20...From the thrift or something (Get it cheap) Kilts used are probably still worth a couple hundred bucks at least. Some of them start around $400 bucks. They are heavy and even worse when wet.. would not make for a very comfortable wear, but more durable than Flannel..while not as comforting. Failing that pick up a suit Jacket with a nice Satin liner or something, if that material is to be quilted, someone with a sewing machine could probably make that happen with the material of your choice, find a wool shop (AKA Yarn Barn) and get talking with some people about your project.

And another thing..whats so wrong with the Liner it has now does it actually *have* one even? did you give it a chance yet? Is it a rats nest or something? You say the Jacket is *on its way* so why not give it a shot at least and see if its working for you As-is. does it even really *need* a liner? I wear a flannel Shirt under my Biker Jacket without a liner..Its fine. (Even better IMO!) have you even Worn the Jacket as-is yet? Seriously how bad does the liner bother you? is it really something you cant live with? If Its a seriously vintage piece I say Just keep on it, dont cut it out! you got it already!

Last edited:

ParkerFM

New in Town
I'm waiting on delivery of a length of tartan from Canadian supplier GK Textiles: (www.wooltartan.com) so that I can have a Vanson Enfield I have purchased through Ebay relined. The ordering process couldn't have been smoother - I'm ordering from New Zealand - Gordon Kirkbright answered all my queries promptly and made the process dead easy. And the price was right...

lina

Practically Family
It all Depends, what type of Jacket, how old is it, what has it got now? Material is *Critical* to do right..Is it a true vintage classic biker Jacket? The answer is to leave it be in that case.

If you so desire a new lining: I recommend the traditional Red-Quilted poly style lining because its light, durable, dries quick and can breathe, so what is right in your case? You want Flannel? what? Heres an idea if you dont care so much and are happy go lucky about it, I say pick up a Jacket from a thrift store that is Butt-ugly or cheap but has an excellent liner you could live with and swap it out. Done. Easy 123.

Dont waste time and money.

You want Tartan? Really? recycle a Kilt for like $20...From the thrift or something (Get it cheap) Kilts used are probably still worth a couple hundred bucks at least. Some of them start around $400 bucks. They are heavy and even worse when wet.. would not make for a very comfortable wear, but more durable than Flannel..while not as comforting. Failing that pick up a suit Jacket with a nice Satin liner or something, if that material is to be quilted, someone with a sewing machine could probably make that happen with the material of your choice, find a wool shop (AKA Yarn Barn) and get talking with some people about your project.

And another thing..whats so wrong with the Liner it has now does it actually *have* one even? did you give it a chance yet? Is it a rats nest or something? You say the Jacket is *on its way* so why not give it a shot at least and see if its working for you As-is. does it even really *need* a liner? I wear a flannel Shirt under my Biker Jacket without a liner..Its fine. (Even better IMO!) have you even Worn the Jacket as-is yet? Seriously how bad does the liner bother you? is it really something you cant live with? If Its a seriously vintage piece I say Just keep on it, dont cut it out! you got it already!

Thanks, all good questions worth thinking about. Pretty sure I will do a new lining... Just curious, do you happen to know a source for red-quilted poly style? I like that too.

lina

Practically Family
I'm waiting on delivery of a length of tartan from Canadian supplier GK Textiles: (www.wooltartan.com) so that I can have a Vanson Enfield I have purchased through Ebay relined. The ordering process couldn't have been smoother - I'm ordering from New Zealand - Gordon Kirkbright answered all my queries promptly and made the process dead easy. And the price was right...

Thanks, very helpful indeed! This looks like a great source. Can I ask what color you went with? And how many meters did you end up ordering?

ParkerFM

New in Town
I chose Menzies Black and White - I'm a sucker for classic black and white. My local leather jacket maker built me a Bootlegger influenced jacket about 6 months ago, and I suppied 2 metres of a wool tweed to line it with. It worked out great, so I purchased 2 metres of the Menzies Tartan to reline the Vanson.

lina

Practically Family
I chose Menzies Black and White - I'm a sucker for classic black and white. My local leather jacket maker built me a Bootlegger influenced jacket about 6 months ago, and I suppied 2 metres of a wool tweed to line it with. It worked out great, so I purchased 2 metres of the Menzies Tartan to reline the Vanson.
Looks like a great pattern. I've also seen the Menzies in a dark blue and white, which I like too. I am kind of a sucker for a red lining though, so probably will go in that direction. Perhaps the Quebec they offer, or split the difference and go with the Black Stewart...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ