Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for ideas/advice for a new jacket

Graemsay

Practically Family
I saw these at The Bike Shed show a couple of years ago. I can't remember who did which, but I think that they were done by Ornamental Conifer and Dry British. One of those two also does the painting on the Commes des Garcons jackets.

Blow Hard Leather.jpg

Lets Get Lost Leather.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I've often considered painting the back of my Vanson in a style reminiscent of the Rockers of the 50's / 60's using my club name (I guess I'm a poser), I have an idea what I'd paint, I just haven't had the nerve to put paint to leather yet. I also considered doing it prior to being accepted into my club, but my concern was what I think is cool today, I may not think its cool tomorrow, so why ruin a perfectly good leather jacket? I may choose to leave the club, but it'll always be apart of me, so though I may not wear the jacket, it'll still serve as a memory.

That makes a lot of sense, and I think would work for most MCCs. MCs, on the other hand, regard colours as always property of the club, and a non-no for ex-members (even those who 'retire' in some cases).

Your forum handle is "Red Devil", there are tons of directions you could go with that.

This. The pinup devil girl is pretty cool.

The sort that's usually very vocal about how Sons of Anarchy is not realistic at all, even though watching the show is the closest they've ever gotten to being a member of an outlaw biker club. None of which exist anymore, anyway. If they ever had in the first place.

I think there are a few MCs which would disagree with you on their continued existence.... ;) Certainly, though it always amused me that while there are plenty of guys out there howling on the internet about the lack of 'realism' in SoA, one of their regular cast (Happy, the assassin) rides with the 81 in California as a full patch member, and Sonny Barger made a number of appearances on the show. Whatever the reality level of the show's events, it certainly seems like it suited the Angels to be associated with it. ;)

But anyway, yeah, MC club patches are cool tho you need to belong to a club to actually do that otherwise it's a silly idea. Then again, it's all just fun so why not?

I'd veer away from the three-patch style myself (especially anything claiming territory). Can be perceived as a challenge if you live in an area with an active club, and it's not worth the hassle. Same with those daft things that imitate patch club style, but have the 'Lone Wolf / No Club' thing going on. Apt to be taken as confrontational.

I was thinking of putting some bling on my Aero Sheene. Maybe some studs, some bling but not full on Rockers....
yet ;)

Sheene would be a good choice for the brit rocker look.

I got my first (only) tattoo two years ago after one of my son's band's shows. We had talked about it for a couple years - getting one that my Dad got in the USAF to keep the tradition. So, it was 102º and there was much Tequila. The kids all started calling me out for being a wuss and that was that. Sure, they're not supposed to tattoo an intoxicated human, but I guess they figured I was old enough to deal ;)
Now, I want one on the other arm or under side of this arm to remember my Mom. That's been tougher to figure out, but it will be done - likely when a little tipsy and some little pecker calls me out again!

There are people out there now who can help you preserve this fitting tribute forever, so your kids don't have to have the same tat to carry it forward.... http://www.wallsandskin.com/preserveyourtattoos/ :p

There should be a show is your tattoo thread if there's not one already.

Here it is, started back in 2008: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/show-us-your-tattoos.29822/

Rules in the OP. Bout time it was revived. Now I just need to get my home redecoration finished so I can get started on my own ink..... design 1 &2 ready to go. Quasi half-sleeve planned for the other arm if I can take that!

Funny how this turned into a tattoo conversation :D
It makes sense since you are applying colour to skin in both cases. I thought about tattoo but can't figure out something I would want to keep forever on me. Ok, technology to remove them has improved, but it is still quite involved.
That being said, i am browsing tattoo art at the moment for that jacket

Back in the seventies Billy Connolly used to wear some pretty wildly embroidered jackets. Like a sort of cross between a Nudie suit and an acid trip via the medium of embroidery. He once told a chatshow host they were "surrogate tattoos" for him as he was too afraid to get the real thing. ;)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
My biggest worry would be getting someone to do it properly. I'd be so worried about messing up a decent jacket. I feel like I'd have to find someone and have them try on some cheap department store pile before doing on a real jacket.

My biggest worry would be getting someone to do it properly. I'd be so worried about messing up a decent jacket. I feel like I'd have to find someone and have them try on some cheap department store pile before doing on a real jacket.
Good point. There's no going back once the airbrush is fired up. You're all in and likely for life as moving a painted jacket is exponentially harder.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Good point. There's no going back once the airbrush is fired up. You're all in and likely for life as moving a painted jacket is exponentially harder.
I didn't even think about the reselling problems. All the more reason for me to never do it, but respect anyone ballzy enough to go through with it.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would never paint anything on a leather jacket. I much prefer clean lines. The patch on Lewis Leather jackets is a deal breaker for me. I don't even like prints on t-shirts (solids and strips for me). I do admire some of the impressive artwork on certain jackets, but I personally would not wear it. I guess I am too boring and staid.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Interesting comments here.

I couldn't help but recall my youth when, as a punk rocker, I painted my leather jacket. What a mess, but it was a tribal kind of thing. It was a nice civilian flying jacket but I added one or two extras. The back, collar, front and both arms had various things painted in them. Not to mention a badge or two.

View media item 1496

Last edited:
My son went thru his "punk" influenced stage as a huge Joe Strummer/Clash nut as well as Ska, etc.
He had a legit Schott Perfecto that he ended up painting and putting studs into. I was like WTF but it was his and I figured it best to let him get this out of his system - he was in a new charter Art's school, and I had already mostly raised two girls and learned a little.
Some years later he had sold it on as he outgrew both it and the need to wear embellished punk gear (but still loves the music).
We were at the Rose Bowl flea market as we do, and we passed one of the vintage gear booths. Sure enough, he was like "holy sh** - that's my jacket!" The guy was asking some astronomical price for it - selling it as a legit punk-era embellished jacket. I almost wanted to buy it for him, but we walked on and just laughed. Some sucker is probably wearing it now after having paid 4x it's actually worth!

Edward

Bartender
Ah, dear old 'Uncle' Joe.... "Like Trousers, Like Brain." The clash always had a very interesting look of their own - as consciously put-together as ever were the Pistols, though Caroline Coons was somewhat less theatrical, more 'street', perhaps, than McLaren and Westwood. Funnily enough, I'm currently eying up a pair of the George Cox Creepers that Joe Strummer designed.

I always loved my leathers, but never wore a painted one as a young punk. The jackets I embellished were military dress jackets - chain, pins, badges. I'm a touch more subtle these days, and so.... "death or glory becomes just another story".

We did the same, @Edward. We had a place (still there) called Jim's Army & Navy. Could get anything for under $10, most for $1-$5. That was our Jr High school uniform - all the stuff we could buy and we'd cut/paint/fringe it all and didn't care.
I try to remember such things when the old man wants to come out and bitch about "kids these days" ;)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wore a bit of paint on jackets during my 'Psychobilly' period coupled with a quiff & some very lively T Shirts :) Though I admire them I've no 'Ink' & have moved on jackets of recent years that I had 'paint' put on. Can't do patched flight-wear either (though I like what a lot of others have done patch-wise)..plain & un-adulterated is me these days though I'm tempted to have the 'Mack the Knife' shark 'inked'.

My Vespa 'Rumble Fish' wears some 'paint' & I wouldn't have it any other way:

80s.JPG

Attachments

• 80s.JPG
    80s.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 86
5.jpg

This in dark green
Well now I hate you. But seriously. Dude. That will be so incredibly, insanely almost painfully cool...I'm not sure a painted back is even remotely necessary.
But I can see why you'd be tempted. It's like standing at the top of Everest and just saying to hell with it and jumping into outer space. None of that makes sense but I'm sorry. That jacket in green will be just jaw dropping. I literally can't wait to see it and I also dread seeing it as I'm sure my vision will be impaired by tears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes