Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for info on this thrifted jacket

diecianni

New in Town
Hi there!

Picked up this Montgomery Ward jacket (see Imgur album) on a recent road trip in California. It's my first vintage leather jacket, and I'm trying to find out some more info on it.

From this very useful thread, and some research on the Montgomery Ward label, it seems to be mid-1940s. But I almost find that hard to believe given the relatively great condition the leather seems to be in.

If anyone has any interesting tidbits to share, or an idea of what it could be worth if I ever sold it, I'd love to hear!

Thanks

P.S. Not currently looking to sell this jacket. Just want to learn more!

Last edited:

diecianni

New in Town
My best guess would be late 40s or early 50s. I offer $300 :)

Could you show us a pic of the buckle? It's not showing in the pics.
Thanks for the reply! Sure - here's the buckle:

1688908582909.png

jeo

One Too Many
I have this exact jacket but with a mouton collar.

The angle of the chest pocket on mine is more dramatic, perhaps because it’s a smaller size.

I have the same exact mid to late 40’s talon zip on mine but our buckles are different shapes and mine has metal grommets on the belt whereas yours is thread. Makes me think yours might be a bit older.

As @tmitchell59 mentioned, very likely mid to late 40’s and made by California Sportswear Company.

Excellent find and in amazing condition. You can tell someone took the time to remove the oxidation from the zips.

IMG_1809.jpeg
IMG_1810.jpeg
IMG_1811.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I have this exact jacket but with a mouton collar.

The angle of the chest pocket on mine is more dramatic, perhaps because it’s a smaller size.

I have the same exact mid to late 40’s talon zip on mine but our buckles are different shapes and mine has metal grommets on the belt whereas yours is thread. Makes me think yours might be a bit older.

As @tmitchell59 mentioned, very likely mid to late 40’s and made by California Sportswear Company.

Excellent find and in amazing condition. You can tell someone took the time to remove the oxidation from the zips.

View attachment 531302 View attachment 531303 View attachment 531304
there it is. They are the same jacket. This was the end of the Aviator style and beginning the full dedicated motorcycle jacket to follow. The half-belt look was dropped.

These jackets were not made by California Sportswear. I have a similar jacket made by California Sportswear with the belt, but also with side zips and no cuff straps. Also a different back.

Below is a CSC jacket. Very similar to posted jacket, but not.

Don't know the California maker of these jackets. Sears had a similar jacket in 1947, made in California.

1688922324417.png
1688922351342.png
1688922378404.png

diecianni

New in Town
Thanks for all the informative replies!

Really love seeing the similar jackets too. I figured mine would’ve had a detachable shearling(?) collar at some point - it has fastenings inside.

Should I condition the leather or anything before wearing? It’s in good condition but seems a little dry. Probably been in storage a long time.

Hi there!

Picked up this Montgomery Ward jacket (see Imgur album) on a recent road trip in California. It's my first vintage leather jacket, and I'm trying to find out some more info on it.

From this very useful thread, and some research on the Montgomery Ward label, it seems to be mid-1940s. But I almost find that hard to believe given the relatively great condition the leather seems to be in.

If anyone has any interesting tidbits to share, or an idea of what it could be worth if I ever sold it, I'd love to hear!

Thanks

P.S. Not currently looking to sell this jacket. Just want to learn more!
That was hanging among a bunch of Kenneth Cole crap in a thrift store????? WTF!? I’m shocked! You basically just took one swing and struck oil and gold all at once. That’s insane!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I can’t get over this was found in a thrift store…
I wonder if it is a a war time jacket, it looks like the belt eyelets were sewn instead of using metal grommets, could be a brass conservation measure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner